Thread: Virus Problem...

On New Years Day I turned on my Computer and there were 4 viruses in my system,to cut a long story short,it screwed up the system.I have managed to get them "Healed" and everything back to normal except one thing.When I go to certain sites on the internet I get this message:
    "Your current security settings prohibit running ACTIVEX controls on this page.As a result the page may not display correctly"
    I have gone into my security settings and tried everthing but can`t seem to clear this up.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (Other than throwing the computer out the window)
    Thanks in advance.......

Hi Bramalea,
    Sorry to hear about your computer problems,one possible reason for the subject message is a missing, corrupt, or improper version of %SystemRoot%\System32\Msjava.dll.

If you have Java VM 2400, then Msjava.dll should be version 4.79.2436.

If you have Java VM 3100, then Msjava.dll should be version 5.00.3167 or later.

You can download the latest Java VM from http://www.microsoft.com/java/download.htm.

If, after applying a new Java VM, your Msjava.dll version is still 4.79.2436 (or earlier), reapply the Java VM again.
    I hope this help you to fix your problem
    Cheers

Idea Guy

Service:
    On New Years Day I turned on my Computer and there were 4 viruses in my system,to cut a long story short,it screwed up the system.I have managed to get them "Healed" and everything back to normal except one thing.When I go to certain sites on the internet I get this message:
    "Your current security settings prohibit running ACTIVEX controls on this page.As a result the page may not display correctly"
    I have gone into my security settings and tried everthing but can`t seem to clear this up.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (Other than throwing the computer out the window)
    Thanks in advance.......[/QUOTE]

Thanks Idea Guy,
    Tried it your way but cannot access Windows Update page,keep getting "Error reading this page" message,anything else to try??

Hello,

Did you clear up the virus? If not, I suggest you visit http://www.symantec.com/securitycheck
    and click on Scan for Virus.

If you have an Internet Security profuct like Syamntec, you may have increased your securtiy settings, set them to the defaults and see what happens.

Third option, set you Internet browser settings to defaults.

Hope this helps,
    Jamal Assaf
    Creative Software
    www.limowiz.com

Hi Bramalea,
    Sounds like you may have some connection problem, do you use dial up or cable?
    What king the browser do you use? with Microsoft explorer version 6 you should be Ok, if you don't have the laters version upgrade if you can, and see if you can get to the page that I send you early.
    If that doesn't work let me know,

Later
    Idea Guy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bramalea Limousine Service:
    Thanks Idea Guy,
    Tried it your way but cannot access Windows Update page,keep getting "Error reading this page" message,anything else to try??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same thing happened to me mid way through 2002, in the end I had to re install a clean version of windows, at same time installed Norton Anti Virus, this has stopped every virus coming through since.

If you do decide to re install windows, make sure to save all your important info prior to re installing windows as everything will be deleted.

Was a big headache for me and will never forget that experience, I had a computer repair company come in to re install windows and install Norton Anti Virus. He cost a few hundered dollars, although I wasnt too familiar with what he was doing he did mention that the roots of windows were corrupted.

Good Luck
    JJ

I know my problem is from not being able to access ACTIVEXit keeps popping up that I have to adjust my settings,I`ve tried it but no success.I`ll try again later,got to go out right now,and we`ll see what happens.Thanks again for all your help.

Bramalea,
    If you can't fix your problem let me know, also let me know what kind the virus you got that may help to understand the problem, there is quite a few computer guy's watching the forum I'm sure someone have the answer.

Good Luck
    Idea Guy

Service:
    I know my problem is from not being able to access ACTIVEXit keeps popping up that I have to adjust my settings,I`ve tried it but no success.I`ll try again later,got to go out right now,and we`ll see what happens.Thanks again for all your help.[/QUOTE]

You may want to be careul with active X controlls as if you had them all enabled before that may have been the root of your virus. Actixe X commands are basically code (or programs) in other peoples web pages and sometimes e-mail that enable them to modify your computer settings. This is not something you want to give control over to someone else.

In my Internet Explorer 6.0 I go to Tools, Internet options, Security Tab, then Custom Level button.
    For ActiveX controlls I have the following settings:
    For download signed ActiveX controlls - Select Prompt
    For download unsigned Active X controlls - Select Disable
    For Initialize and script ActiveX controlls not marked as safe - Select Disable
    Run ActiveX controlls and plugins - Select Enable
    Script ActiveX controlls marked safe for scripting - Select Enable

With these setting you will get prompts for certain web pages when they want to load a special cursor or load a music player, I always refuse them as You never know what else they have attatched to the cursor program.

Also dig into your e-mail program and make sure the active X controlls are turned off for your e-mails as well, This is how the worm viruses get started.

Do you have a firewall and anti virus program running??

Later!!

Steve Walker
    Azusa, CA
    steve@capriceshop.com
    http://www.capriceshop.com

Actually it sounds like you do have ActiveX controls disabled but your browser (or something else) is still trying to run them thru some kind of call or procedure.

This typically means that parts of the virus still remains as it is trying to call the activeX script but it can't because ACTIVEX is disabled.

I would speculate the virus hasn't been totally eradicated.

You may need to re-install windows and do a clean sweep if the Symantec website doesn't have some kind of EZ fix.

Good luck. Viruses suck as it leaves you feeling crippled and helpless. . . a feeling I've felt oh too many times I care to admit.

Michael

After putting together about a week's worth of bookings from memory because a virus caused winodws to overwrite data on the hard drive ( a 20MB hardrive showed as 3.5 GB, this was back in the mid 90's btw! =P ) I now have Symantec Internet Security, damn fine program. Starts up in most secure mode, YOU decide what you want to run, what to have access. Fairly straight forward setup, only minimal computer knowledge needed to get you safe. Just follow the recommended settings.

Gives you nice little messages like:

"imagonnastealyourvisainfo.exe" is trying to access the internet, shall i stop it?

*clicks yes*

It comes with Norton AntiVirus 2002 and 12 months of updates. Far more worth than the piddly amount you spend on it. Far more effective than anything Microsoft tries to come up with. Actually plugs a lot of the "holes" microsoft has, even without upgrading your windows.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice,I`ve tried just about everthing I was told,some of it worked but still got a few problems.I am now going to format my hard drive and start again (Now doing the sign of the cross,and I`m not even Catholic)
    Ah Well! here goes,wish me luck-I`m no good with all this hi-tech stuff,my VCR still flashes 12.00.

E-Mail Harold Dulitz of Best tech at sales@monitors.net and he will fix it for you. Make sure you say I sent you and cc me at info@signaturelivery.com...Harold stays extremely busy and I want to handwalk your case to him. P.S. Harold did the research in the famous software case of a few years ago.

Dean Schuler

I`mmmmmmm baaaaaaccccckkkkkk!
    Whew! hope that never happens again,got everything up & running again-EXCEPT- I have no sound,have to try & figure out how I screwed that up

re install your sound drivers, also check in the "control panel" under sound or volume and make sure the sound isn't muted.

did you get Norton Internet Security?