Thread: Limousine Members

This is an answer to a question I posed in the NLA forum about ten days ago. I finally found my 2002-2003 TLPA Directory buried on my desk and took a look to see how many members of TLPA are in the limousine division. The answer is not entirely easy, but here's what you can tell for sure. There are 230 members of TLPA who have one or more limousines. The association doesn't actually tell you who is or is not a member of which division, and a number of companies have more than one of the vehicle types by which membership interest is divided (taxicabs, limousine and paratransit). In looking more closely at the membership directory (TLPA lists types of vehicles operated by members as well as the number claimed by the member) and a few are taxicab companies with a gazillion cabs and a few limousines. Not many are that lopsided, and from a scan of the membership listing I'd say that you can reduce the 230 by about a dozen members who have mostly taxicabs and only a scattering of limousines.

The interesting thing is the composition of the limousine membership. Many are quite big companies, and a number are also companies that have been in business a long, long, time and used to be instrumental in NLA but, apparently, gave up on NLA insofar as active participation is concerned.

If anybody is interested enough, I can get this membership list posted here.

This list quantifies what my gut has been telling me, and that is that really serious companies that have been around for awhile populate TLPA, while the typical NLA member who turns over every two or so years, stays away. At the highest levels of NLA (bigger and older companies), there is an almost complete duplication of members. Examples: Elegant Limousine (Joe Cirruzzo, NLA Director); Empire International (David Seelinger, NLA Director); First American Limousine (Jacob Salem, NLA founder and former NLA director); Gateway Limousines (Sam Amato, NLA director candidate in 2001); Limousines by Linda (Jon Chester, active in NLA chauffeur certification committee and too smart to run for NLA director); Carey International (with a variety of persons on NLA board and active in NLA over the past years); Paradise Limousine (Guy Mongello, active in regional associations, NLA chauffeur certification, and limos.com); Carey New Orleans (Dean Schuler, NLA founder and former director, active at limos.com); Belaire Limousine (Carolyn Nelson, two-term NLA director and active committee members); Buffalo Limousine (John Patti, NLA founder and former NLA director); Five Star Limousine (John Sinibaldi, NLA director and treasurer). I can't say that I recognize everybody who was active in NLA before my time, so I'm likely to have missed some.

Notably missing is AAA/GOT Limousine (Matt Harrison) and LimousineScene (Jim Luff)(but, then again, Luff just became an NLA member this year).

James H. Joseph
    Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

down in the gutter. I don't like character assassination any better when it comes from you, or anyone else. Remember, something doesn't have to be false to be character assassination, it merely has to be irrelevant. Let's stick with the merits of the NLA/LCT issues, and not get involved in irrelevancies, however salacious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dean Schuler:
    J.H.J., As long as folks such as " Thomas "I" Mazza ******************************* are involved in the NLA, you will see this trend to the TPLA. Too bad-he had promise, once. And his Book, written with a pro co-writer is excellent. P.S. Should we tell the Philly Ruth's Chris story about Tommy ? ( Many witnesses exist !!) It is a true one, unlike his trash slander about myself and others ... Nah, just join the TPLA now !!!!!!!!!

Dean Schuler<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

[This message was edited by Viperion Corporation / Limos.com on November 14, 2002 at 04:24 PM.]

in my first post here I used the term "NLA Founder" in a very loose sense, to mean not those who actually organized NLA legally, but those who were around and active within minutes after the Big Bang.

James H. Joseph
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

You are so correct on that point J.H.J. We will consider video-taping as an option.

Dean Schuler

They have a small meeting here in January 2003.

Dean Schuler

The educational information that you receive from them on a monthly basis is worth 10 years of dues. This is a must join association for anyone interested in advancing in the Chauffeured Transportation Trade. These people are serious about our Industry. For the record, I belong to the United Motor Coach Association ( Great e-reports twice a month ), the National Limousine Association, The Taxicab, Livery, Paratransit Association, and Meeting Planners International, among many others.

Dean Schuler

I am interested in you posting your list here .J.H.J. Please speak up more-only that way will we clear the clouds away that are over our Industry !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean Schuler

JHJ, People without a sense of Limousine History should never be in charge of the NLA. The solution is simple-Mazza needs to go. He is a living example of the Peter Principle. His conduct has proved him unsuitable for Office. ( You have the proof, and so do many others )

Dean Schuler

Where are our Five year financials from the NLA ?

Dean Schuler