Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Economy

Blog Entries

Jim not to mention L&I rules. Whenever the employee has the car he is on duty.

Adam do you use the same driver for the morning and evening shift?

Member Limo Padawan limosatyourservice's Avatar

I must have driver that take care of my vehicles then because I have done it this way for 3 years and I have only had one problem one time, And I have never had a GPS unit not work except for a minute while it updates. My drivers all have good parking for the cars, its part of the hiring process "do you have a garage?"
    Adam K.
    Limos At Your Service
    800-219-2664
    Serving the Los Angeles And Atlanta Markets!
    http://www.limosatyourservice.net

Member Limo Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by limosatyourservice View Post
    I must have driver that take care of my vehicles then because I have done it this way for 3 years and I have only had one problem one time, And I have never had a GPS unit not work except for a minute while it updates. My drivers all have good parking for the cars, its part of the hiring process "do you have a garage?"

It must be nice having all those employees w/ 30' deep garages. It sure beats parking out in the elements for sure. My ins. gal said the same thing as Limo Guy's ins carrier...S.O.L. if vandalized while stored @ any place other than the specified garage w/ alarm to structure fully operational.
    Steve

It is not always advisable to allow your chauffeurs to take a vehicle home. There are exceptions to this rule.

In regards to insurance, if the ins company is aware of the operation (as they alrerady should be) there should not be a problem--they will charge accordingly.

First there are many reasons why having a garage is great.

1. Our cars are all parked inside with our secretaries, mechanics, drivers in the same place.
    2. I installed 9 cameras myself with DVR and internet access. I can see when my cars come in at exactly what time, if the driver did his post clean, see if the mechanics are there actually working, see if the driver sprayed the salt off his car after the run.
    3. The cars are protected from all the weather, from the rain and the snow, which can help prolong the onset of rust, this saves us thousands of dollars in repairs, repaint, and resale value.
    4. Protected from any vandalism, items inside being stolen or the entire car itself being stolen, which keeps insurance lower.
    5. Knowing where your cars are all the time, what time the driver left (was that why he was late?), what time the car got in (did the driver pocket that extra hour?), etc countless ways here.
    6. Indoor wash bay, in Ohio with snow 5-6 months of the year this is a big plus, and way better than cars being parked outside with salt on them.
    7. 40,000 cars go by our office everyday. We park a limo by the street and thousands of eyes see our limos everyday and this raises brand awareness and is great free advertising. When somebody needs a limo, we just might come to mind.
    8. When a customer wants to see the limo that theye interested in renting for their wedding, they can come to our office and see ALL of the cars. What do you tell your customers that want to see the cars: "uh you cant see the cars theyre at 19 different drivers houses" . We have many pictures and videos on our website, but lots of people just want to see the cars.
    9. Total cost is $5 per car per day to pay our rent. Well worth it. And with many of the savings above, it just might cost nothing.

Also I think it'd be a safe bet that all of the 19 cars sitting at drivers houses are not parked in the garage everyday. Why would they park their car outside and your car inside? Also how much did those GPS's cost you per month and to install in each vehicle, you might just as easily had a garage/showroom with cars secure and available for monitoring 24/7
    Last edited by First Class Limos; November 19th, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Blog Entries

I like to see all my cars near me too. We have them spread out between two locations which are 1/2 mile away. My office are has the 6 sedans, two suvs, one van and one 8 pass limo. The rest of the vans, busses and stretch suvs are parked in a secured lot. We outgrew our office space and had to rent another property. But still I have the control. Before each employee leaves the office, i would like to see thier face and see how they are dress. After all it is my name on those cars and I am responsible.

If it works for you great, but I have heard of a story a long time ago where the A driver brought back a six pass limo after a night job to his house so he can drive the same limo the next day. But when the driver was sleeping his teenage son decided to take the limo out for a joyride and got into a crash. I am sure 15 years ago the insurance would have covered this but not anymore.

Member Limo Padawan limosatyourservice's Avatar

Most of my limos are sedans out of 18 only 6 are limousines, but I can definitely see the point you made, Its a very valid one, Again I guess im lucky that it works for me. In regards to the GPS, I would have that if I have an office with a garage or not, when a client calls and if the drivers phone goes to voicemail how do you know where he is? you don't, but with the GPS you can!
    Adam K.
    Limos At Your Service
    800-219-2664
    Serving the Los Angeles And Atlanta Markets!
    http://www.limosatyourservice.net

Excellent post First Class with great points. And, Vini, I too was thinking, wow, I can't get a 120' in my garage at home even with a big garage. I could get it in without closing the door. I guess I enjoyed First Class' response so much because our office/shop is they same way. We have a large commercial building (used to be a U-Haul rental facility) and we can park all the cars inside. We have a locker room for our employees complete with a shower, restroom and change area. I too want to see those chauffeurs and make sure shirts are pressed, suits are dark and clean, shoes are polished, hair is neat in appearance.

I also use GPS and we have a dispatcher on duty 24/7 who is in radio communication. Our rollup doors and gates open with remote controls that each chauffeur has so as they approach the building late at night they need not even get out of the car. They can press a button or say on the radio, "open the gate" and drive right in. We have our own wash bay with a sand trap floor drain although we never have salt. Snowed here once in 1998. I think it was an accident on God's part as we don't get a lot of snow in Bakersfield, CA.

I suspect though with all those sedans that Adam doesn't get a lot of people wanting to come see his vehicles. A sedan is a sedan is a sedan. Because I have a variety of limos, Excursions, limo-buses, shuttle buses, wheelchair vans, regular vans and sedans, people do want to come and look. And being right across the street from our county fair, we move all the vehicles "up" to the front of the building and leave the roll up door open during the fair for people to see the cars. I frequently leave one out front as well for marketing purposes.

On the plus side, look how much money at your service is saving. I would hope he would pay a little "rent" on all those garages as most companies that ask an employee to work out of their house offer a stipend of some type for the use of a room in an employee's house.

If it works for you, your insurance company knows about it, you don't mind paying the higher premium, you don't mind not having a "showroom" then I say - roll-on. There is no prefect mold in this business. There is only the usual and the almost always molds.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Well reading what everyone else has written, i'm not alone. I haven't received one booking for this week at all. Even my limo .com inquiries have dropped off. I am located about an hour and a half north of NYC, and i'm hoping things get better, but i agree, it is going to be a long rough winter to come.

Anthony
    Paradise Limousine
    www.paradiselimoservice.com

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Things are getting bad! We are in florida and winter doesn't mean anything. Oct threw May are our good months. We haven't seen that this season. AP runs were up for Oct, but dropped off like everything else. We did start more aggresive ads. It did pay off, with in 15 min of our first e mail blast we booked a Christmas party. But nothing since... I hope we have a prom season, we plan on banking all the extra $$ for the hard times to come. Good Luck Everyone!!
    Last edited by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast; November 21st, 2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: My husband can`t spell

Im 22 years old and have been driving for about 3 years now in the limo industry . I just started my own company a year and a half ago. My previous boss retired and I took over. He was more a taxi service ie: older cars. I run (2) 2006 esv's and (1) 2006 towncar. I have an office but do most of the work out of my vehicle or at home. I haven't noticed such a downfall yet in businees some day we are busy and some we break even.

I have been listening to the news all day, we should not bailout these automakers. Let them file bankruptcy and re-organize and get their houses in order. They need to get their costs under control and fix their problems like everyone else.

what about all the jobs that will be lost

We bail these guys out, then the airlines will come looking for a hand out. Then who after that. When my financial position changes I have to change and make adjustments. That should be the case for everyone.

The autoworkers have a pretty good deal, the way I heard it they get $350.00 a week on unemployment then and additional $400.00 a week from the automaker.

I have no problem with workers being protected but it should across the board for folks.

AIG let go a huge number of workers don't hear anyone talking about that. That same AIG worker is getting her $350.00 a week unemployment and not a dime more. Doesn't seem fair to me.

The automakers need to tell their employees your pay has to be cut as well as management it needs to be brought into line as well as benefits and we start all over again. Just like the regular folks. If they don't want to go along with that see ya. Life in the big city.

Senior Member Limo Padawan

This is just one guy's observation, but it seems to me that it is the American car manufacturers that are in the dire straits they're in and not any of the foreign car manufacturers - not even those with plants and factories in the US.

In trying to figure out what the difference would be, so far I can only come up with one major difference and that's the hourly wage the two types of manufacturers pay. It seems the foreign manufacturers pay significantly less per hour to their workers than do the domestic manufacturers. And having been raised in a small town that has a large foreign auto manufacturing plant, I'm aware that those working in that facility are doing well financially speaking. At least they're paying the rent, clothing their kids and putting three squares on the table regularly - and still have a few bucks left over for their Friday night beer and bowling.

From there, I can only see one big difference and that's the labor unions that have driven hourly wages for American auto manufacturers as high as they are. I'm not against anyone making as much money as they can - I'm a true capitalist to the bone - but I also know that one can price one's self out of the market.

That's just my casual observation from the sidelines. Does anyone else think this observation might have merit?
    TCLG