Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is LCT'S 2008 "Fact Book" Factual?

Fact n: the quality of being actual

Once again LCT'S yearly Biblical "Fact Book" or as described by Sara McLean, the industry's "Crystal Ball" that will help take the guesswork out of planning for your coming business year.

The Numbers Game:
    US Operators are reported by LCT to be at 9,654 which is sharply lower than the projected 13-14k that Limo Digest is predicting when their research is all said & done.

The average "owned" fleet size is "12"
    The average number of gallons of fuel purchased per week is 551 gallons which, when divided by average fleet size equates to 46 gallons per unit average weekly.
    The average number of reservations per week is 222 with the average number of trips per week being 190 or 27 per day.
    There are 22 people working for the average operator & the average operator employs 13 full time chauffeurs & 10 part timers.

Now, I'll let these numbers simmer awhile before breaking out the ole calculator.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Look, I had to respond to this. The LCT has been off it's numbers for years. Let's face it! The top 100 has been wrong for years. Even the operators on the list that the numbers are wrong know it. So do the local Operators in that area. These numbers are unverified and are wrong! I have been in the industry over 20 years now, and I know they are wrong! I am not writing this because I have a working relationship with the Digest, the facts are the numbers are wrong! It's all about advertising! Sick isn't it!

Go to Find ( Keyword search ), type in JHJ Top 75 and you will have your answer. This was settled a long time ago.
    Dean Schuler

Originally posted by D. Hartson:
    Look, I had to respond to this. The LCT has been off it's numbers for years. Let's face it! The top 100 has been wrong for years. Even the operators on the list that the numbers are wrong know it. So do the local Operators in that area. These numbers are unverified and are wrong! I have been in the industry over 20 years now, and I know they are wrong! I am not writing this because I have a working relationship with the Digest, the facts are the numbers are wrong! It's all about advertising! Sick isn't it!
    Dean, Dave & Digest better watch out! If they dispute the facts of LCT, all of them may be accused of having too much time on their hands or view any challenge as nothing but pissing, moaning & groaning. In fact, the LCT crew probably would love it if you all just locked stepped with their figures as dead on-balls accurate.

Quote: Posted by Gunny:

Dean, Dave & Digest better watch out! If they dispute the facts of LCT, all of them may be accused of having too much time on their hands or view any challenge as nothing but pissing, moaning & groaning. In fact, the LCT crew probably would love it if you all just locked stepped with their figures as dead on-balls accurate.
    As I do understand that figures change from day to day. People are getting into the business while other are getting out for one reason or another. But let’s look at the facts! Limousine Fleets don’t have a size of 80 cars to reduce to 36 after the top 100 is published. If 20% or more of this report is this far off, in which it is, the figures are not reviewed and how this is printed fact used? Printed material has value to be use in study’s for business loans, company advertising and promotion and to justify rates and more. If the information is wrong, what does this mean? Journalism today really is pathetic. Watching the news and how statements are twisted to benefit issues or people is wrong. The purpose of media is to report information as accurate as possible for people to make up their own minds of what is the truth. It is clear, information printed today isn’t what one would think!

Senior Member Limo Padawan InTheLeftLane's Avatar

I think the LCT gang is doing their best to present good data and I do NOT think they're acting in some kind of conspiracy to mislead anyone. Geez you guys....

I've assembled and posted data from four credible sources on how big the industry is and the numbers vary widely.

See what you think; check the post here at InTheLeftLaneOnline.com
    Steven Groves
    Vice President / Silent Dispatch, Inc.

Sponsors of InTheLeftLane - Slow Traffic Keep Right!

SilentDispatch / LE has launched! - "Invitation Only Phase" now in place. Current users have invites - Make your request at www.SilentDispatch.com!

Originally posted by InTheLeftLane:
    I think the LCT gang is doing their best to present good data and I do NOT think they're acting in some kind of conspiracy to mislead anyone. Geez you guys....

I've assembled and posted data from four credible sources on how big the industry is and the numbers vary widely.
    Well, you know what they say when someone has to "think" about something.

They don't know!

quote:

Steve, this has been an ongoing problem for years! We are not talking about numbers that are One or Two off from the real truth, we are talking about vast numbers that have been far from close for years! Companies who put in for "Operator of the Year" who get beat out by an operator that the numbers of fleet size is wrong and information included in wrong is not fair to Operators who with good honest information looses because of unverified facts! I don't know how many years you have been in the industry and how many conventions you have attended to witness this ongoing problem! Facts are Facts. The Truth will set you free! Always!

Information is always worth the time to be researched before printed! Credibility!

Originally posted by gunny:

They don't know!
    LOL - Not all of us have the God-given talent of knowing it all Amigo. Many times we need to think about stuff before we can know it. Some people call it 'Learning'.

I'm more than happy to learn what I can... everyday.
    Steven Groves

SilentDispatch / LE has launched! - "Invitation Only Phase" now in place. Current users have invites - Make your request at www.SilentDispatch.com!

In all fairness to Steve, as he can see from the figures that he posted on ITLL, of 4 reference sources, the lowest numbers of operators is reported by LCT which for all practical purposes is synonymous with NLA.

Now with membership numbers that actually represents 10-15% of the Industry. Would it be in their best interests to keep the reported total operator numbers as low as possible this way when they stand behind the podium they can boast that they represent 20% of the limousine industry vice 10%?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:

They don't know!
    LOL - Not all of us have the God-given talent of knowing it all Amigo. Many times we need to think about stuff before we can know it. Some people call it 'Learning'.

I'm more than happy to learn what I can... everyday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually quoted a graphic arts teacher I had in 9th grade. He told us we couldn't think in his classroom. We either know or don't know. If you have to think about something, that means you don't know. If you don't know, seek the answer so that you do know.

Originally posted by D. Hartson:
    quote:
    <snip>
    I don't know how many years you have been in the industry...
    <snip>
    Information is always worth the time to be researched before printed! Credibility!
    I am a newbie and have never owned a car, I'm a marketing guy, learning about this industry all the time.

As to the LCT Report; if the data is horribly skewed, I get it. Sorry it is not useful to you - throw the issue away in the trash.

If they've been doing it for a long time, in the face of the industry, I'd have to wonder why people still patronize them. There must be SOMEthing right in what they're doing over there.

Lastly, how does an LCT Award impact revenue and a livelyhood in the industry? Does the award = some % increase in bookings? Does it come with a cash prize? I do not think so (oops, there I go thinking again, Gunny - dang...)

As far as I can remember, an award plaque like this looks good on a wall. The award and $2.50 get you a cup of coffee today at Starbucks.

Back to thinking...
    Steven Groves

Originally posted by gunny:
    If you don't know, seek the answer so that you do know.
    You sound like Yoda - 'do or do not, there is no try'...

Ya' got me there - I used the work 'think' to express an opinion... many of us have opinions; they're like ears, most of us have at least two...
    Steven Groves

All I can say is:

AMEN STEVE! If you don't like it, QUIT BUYING IT!

If you don't believe it, QUIT READING IT!

I don't read the National Enquirer because I don't believe it. It would be ridiculous to buy it and then argue the "facts" contained within the pages.

Year after year for more than a decade the debate has raged on and I am sure in 2018 it will be EXACTLY the same as it is today.

New operators will open the doors today, other operators will close the doors today. Those that had ten 120' stretches may sell 3 and only buy one TC so their fleet size changes.

Again, who cares????? I swear it equates to who has a bigger penis mentality. It isn't a worth while debate. If it they report 9,612 and someone else reports 10,413 WHAT difference does it make??????
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Lastly, how does an LCT Award impact revenue and a livelyhood in the industry? Does the award = some % increase in bookings? Does it come with a cash prize? I do not think so (oops, there I go thinking again, Gunny - dang...)..
    Marketing

Kiss Ass
    Submit the "I am great" operator of the year application on yourself ala John Kerry
    Kiss more ass
    Win the award
    Kiss more ass
    Do a press release
    Advertise award on website
    Kiss more ass
    Sell business
    Kiss industry assholes goodbye