Thread: My thanks to the TLPA

Again the TLPA came through for me. I am facing an Insurance problem that I have posted in other areas of the Forum. I E-mailed the TLPA and they responded by phone to help me out. The information they gave me got me on the right track and it looks like I may not have to suspend operation after all. I think it is time for all of us to get behind the TLPA, at least they are looking out for a little Guy like me. That's more than I can say for some other organizations.

David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

The monthly Business Education mini-book they provide to each member is worth 50 times the membership fee alone. The TLPA is a very professional organization. I would recommend them to anyone seeking to advance in the Chauffeured Transportation Trade.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

The TLPA was very helpful when Logan and I were putting together our Medical Transportation Seminar. The TLPA is a reliable organization.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Member Limo Padawan

Go to the United Motorcoach website and check them out. A must organization for those of you with the minibuses/coaches. They are fighting them fed transit agency crooks who take dollars from you and me.

I wonder which Bus Show is better: BusCon or the MotorCoach Expo. This is an area of the industry I'd like to attack in the next 24 months. Time to start learning...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Veteran:
    Go to the United Motorcoach website and check them out. A must organization for those of you with the minibuses/coaches. They are fighting them fed transit agency crooks who take dollars from you and me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TxLimoGuy:
    I wonder which Bus Show is better: BusCon or the MotorCoach Expo. This is an area of the industry I'd like to attack in the next 24 months. Time to start learning...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Veteran:
    Go to the United Motorcoach website and check them out. A must organization for those of you with the minibuses/coaches. They are fighting them fed transit agency crooks who take dollars from you and me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you will learn is that almost nobody and I mean nobody is making money in the motorcoach industry right now. The insurance and the low rates are killing the motorcoach operators. We get more for a stretch than they get for a $300,00 motorcoach. I think most limo companies need mini-buses but I would stay clear of buying a motorcoach. I know well established motorcoach operators that are dying on the vine right now.

Wade Randolph

Seems to be true at first glance here too - at least on the back of the envelope analysis. $75/hr for a brand new 56 passenger coach that cost what: $250-$300K? The utilization seems to be high though. But I haven't a clue as to all the numbers to do the real analysis yet.
    To your point - I have been doing well in subcontracting mini-buses so that is probably where I'll start whenever I'm ready. Still a few more limos and sedans to buy first...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    What you will learn is that almost nobody and I mean nobody is making money in the motorcoach industry right now. The insurance and the low rates are killing the motorcoach operators. We get more for a stretch than they get for a $300,00 motorcoach. I think most limo companies need mini-buses but I would stay clear of buying a motorcoach. I know well established motorcoach operators that are dying on the vine right now.

Wade Randolph<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Had a chat the other day with one of the BIG players in the motor coach business here in Michigan. He has cut back his fleet to match his utilization of large coaches and is getting into the mini coach business.

He has the Bucks to put a whole lot of hurt on thoes who operate one or two minis. ( he can buy 5 minis for the price of one Prevost or Van hool) My plan is to work with him and just do a little paper work for $50.00 a run. Sure beats having to worry about keeping a fleet of Buses running.

We are still fighting the Transits but with this Guy in the picture, I think we stand a lot better chance now.

David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TxLimoGuy:
    I wonder which Bus Show is better: BusCon or the MotorCoach Expo. This is an area of the industry I'd like to attack in the next 24 months. Time to start learning...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Personally speaking, it's:
    Motorcoach Expo, then the ABA Marketplace (a very close 2nd), probably the CBA (California Bus Assn Expo), then BusCon.

I personally think BusCon, while not a bad show, only represents the motorcoach industry as far as it has to in order to appeal to the livery operator's idea of diversification. The focus is on light and medium duty equipment (many established bus industry types read that as “affordable” and entry-level), which presumably can be integrated into their operations easily. They are not entirely forthcoming to address the line, scheduled, tour, and transit, commuter and contract aspects of passenger transportation that are essential elements of the mainstream motorcoach industry.

Karl Jones
    Karl Jones

I agree with KARL... I also agree with DAVID on how SUPER the TLPA is.....

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler

Member Limo Padawan

The TLPA-started up in 1917. They sure have come on. A true worldwide transportation trade association with a Big Tent.

Make sure to join the TLPA in 2004. It will be well worth your time.

Dean Schuler
    Dean Schuler