Thread: Forum Software Change ... Opinion?

I am thinking of changing the board software to another provider. Quite honestly, I'm not happy with Groupee / Infopop as I feel they don't provide very good support.

Moving to a new board platform will be disruptive as many of the newer, more advanced boards don't allow transfer of data.

What do you guys think?

"If it aint broke don't fix it?"

Moving to a new board will add some better features not currently offered by our current board software. However, it certainly won't be easy.

Thoughts?
    The Redondo Beach School of Numbers
    A graduate with full honors ...

There is a lot of useful history built into the forums that I feel are irreplacable.

If the changes results in loss of these archives, it would be a shame.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Originally posted by gunny:
    There is a lot of useful history built into the forums that I feel are irreplacable.

If the changes results in loss of these archives, it would be a shame.
    Agreed, not sure how much will be retained and how much would be lost. If its means "starting over" I won't do it, not to mention many pages are indexed across the web.

I don't know we got the basics here already:

Search
    Email notification of replys
    New topic listing on the first page.
    Fast loading
    Plus alot of other stuff we do not even use.

Honestly I think any more features would not only be not used (such as the chat feature I pushed you on) they may end up being more confusing to the demographic that comes here.

Yes and not the mention the past posts that may be very valuble to people facing the same situations with their businesses.

Listen I do not think there is currently any better internet forum for our industry is there? I mean this is it! Service aside this platform has done pretty well for all us in here. But you only see the support issues on your end so that will have to be your decision.

I for one belong to many a discussion forum and some I dread going to because of the software and design, this is not one of them.

my opinion.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Being an expert community builder. I can tell you that loosing all of the content here will be huge if you change. I don't know how much traffic you get from search engines. But that would be something to look at. For one of my sites my number one source of new visitors is Google. When I say it's number one it's not just at the top. It makes up more than 50% of all new visitors.

I think that Groupee's hosted forums are horrible. On the flip side I think their UBB forums are wonderful. Those are an install yourself solution though and they are not managed.

I like the community here. But I don't like the forums as they are. A change would be welcomed by me but you need to look at the loss of inbound traffic. That will take time to rebuild.

I've mentioned here once before that I was working on a limo community site. It's being built right now. I'm always looking for good joint ventures with good people. If you have any interest in working together to improve the community as a whole let me know. Online communities is where I have done very well. Limo services is actually a very new venture for me.

A change is my opinion. The really important opinions though are the long time members that are still active.

Cheers.

==============

Check out my Limo blog where I tell all about our first year of business.

Member Limo Padawan

Speaking as a technophobe I have adepted to this format easily and would like it to stay the same. If anything were to change I would like to see the old format for limosforsale to return it was easier to nail down what I wanted to find.
    Shad

Yep- Keep it the same. Some of the longer users may loose their reputations if their past opinions are erased! I've been on since 2003 and I still go back and read past postings and "fix- it" remedies that someone else had too.

I think that's what makes this forum special...There's a lot of information to re hash and research. It would be a shame to loose it.

I think the forum is very user friendly. Changing it would add some new bells and whistles, but would they increase the knowledge obtained at all?

Blog Entries

I'm all for a change, I suggest "Discuss" forum software, it's the easiest to navigate for most, it's not fancy-looking and is totally customizible. You can see what it looks like at www.4cycle.com , this is a kart racing site that I moderate. With 4cycle.com having well over 20k users I'm sure Discuss could handle the traffic here.

As for losing old data, you don't have to. Just turn this one into an archive area where it's still connected to the new forum and users have full access but they can't post on it. Problem solved.

It works great as is. Please don't change!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Please don't change.

How about a change with a GUARANTEE that old content won't be lost? Nor will post counts and screennames.

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Originally posted by Viperion Corporation / Limos.com:
    How about a change with a GUARANTEE that old content won't be lost? Nor will post counts and screennames.
    I like this idea. Best of both. The forum structure will change and so search engines will lead to pages that are no longer there after the change. But after they scan you again they should start to update. So it would only be a short term issue on that part.

Also. A stat that I have. anytime there are navigation changes to a site. 20% of the people get lost and give up. They may come back later but 20% will leave in frustration.

==============

Check out my Limo blog where I tell all about our first year of business.

Originally posted by Viperion Corporation / Limos.com:
    Michael,
    Bottom line is what is best for you. You have a base group who like it as is & the tech wiz kids who may or may not be here 3-6 months down the line looking for something more high speed. Need to weigh the possible loss & gain factor & do what you need to do to make it favorable for you.

Maybe if you find something your looking at & provide a link that we can take a peek at, then hold a vote if you wish. Again. loss of archives would suck big time & all those wiz kids looking for quick answers & sucking off the BTDT crowd on how to make it in this biz may be told to take a hike from the BTDTs who do get a little tired of repeating the answers no less having to start from scratch. And without that, might as well not even have this discussion board.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Limos.com provides an essential service to the worldwide livery industry. The establishment can be responded to in real time and issues can be exposed and/or hashed out with Industry members. Any "Wizard of Oz" stuff is quickly dispelled. More than that limos.com is a true information source for the Chauffeured Transportation trade and an invaluable tool for operators everywhere. Change is part of life and as long as we are moving forward, it is a good thing.
    Dean Schuler

I dont post much but if you change the software, something that makes the chat function easier to get to might help out. I get in there every night and nobody is in there.