Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Limo Security

Steve, such a sad and tragic story. It could have been any one of us! That's the problem, we think things only happen to someone else. Now, I don't want to be in fear 24/7, but to be cautious and aware is smart. And to protect ourselves and our investments is smart too!

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by City Heat View Post
    Jim, don't you think the limos and chauffeurs are at risk whenever loading and unloading clients? We leave the vehicles running and unlock doors while letting clients in and out--right? Some of the clubs/bars are in pretty intimidating areas, as well as the night/street people hanging around asking for money etc. Same issue at the gas pump--just as the video shows, someone could easily hijack any vehicle.
    There is risk with everything we do. I refer to my previous statment. As far as stolen vehilces yes it makes sense to have a tracking mechanism if the vehicle does get stolen. I agree.

We have done risk assessments for this type of thing (learned this from being in the Army - every time we would pull out on a mission - it required a risk assessment to be done). Chauffeurs are trained to take the remote. I have keyrings where the remote will come off and the key can stay in the car if needed.

Keep the doors locked until the chauffeur walks around to open the door ready to let the passengers out. This keeps the passengers safely locked inside until they are ready to be presented to the curb and reduces risk of having the vehicle stolen by another party. Ensure the chauffeurs are letting the customers know before the evening starts that doors will be locked and for safety reasons they should let the chauffeur let them out at all times and the proper door to be exited.

Car should be shut down at gas station and keys removed. Sounds simple but we did have a chauffeur who I found to be letting the car run at gas stations (caught him red handed at the station) and this was something we went over. I am at the point now I put everything in writing as far as errors, policies, etc.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim30; January 7th, 2010 at 10:30 AM.

In my other life, I manage a fleet of well over 60 police vehicles, and every one of them uses one of the devices in the link below.

We have to leave cars running attended at accidents, crime scenes etc all the time. This $150.00 or so upgrade makes it possible to do that.

Touch the brake or gearshift, and the car dies on the spot until restarted with a key.

Yes, my company cars have them too.

Ignition Override:

http://www.able2products.com/update/05_0915.htm

Quote Originally Posted by IHIUS View Post
    LOCK the DRIVERS DOOR by pushing DOWN the button on the door
    (now the drivers door is locked)-
    IHIUS that is exactly the habit I have gotten into and encouraged other driver to do as well with the difference that all the door codes on our limos are programmed with the same number so there is no need to take the remote I just punch in the door code when I get back to the drivers door. Great suggestion but of course the one shortcomming is they they have to remember to do it everytime.

Salicete the product you linked to that requires the driver to take the keys when they get out correct? Or push a button? Or do they do something when they return to the vehicle to deactivate it?

Oh Never mind now I see:
    With just a push of a button, the Ignition Override permits your vehicle and accessories to continue to operate even after you turn off the ignition switch, remove your keys and lock the doors

So they put it in park, press the button, take out the key and go. Then when return they just insert the key and turn to run position (no need to start correct?) to override yes? Or is a restart required?
    Last edited by Steve W.; January 11th, 2010 at 08:31 AM.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    IHIUS that is exactly the habit I have gotten into and encouraged other driver to do as well with the difference that all the door codes on our limos are programmed with the same number so there is no need to take the remote I just punch in the door code when I get back to the drivers door. Great suggestion but of course the one shortcomming is they they have to remember to do it everytime.

Salicete the product you linked to that requires the driver to take the keys when they get out correct? Or push a button? Or do they do something when they return to the vehicle to deactivate it?

Oh Never mind now I see:
    With just a push of a button, the Ignition Override permits your vehicle and accessories to continue to operate even after you turn off the ignition switch, remove your keys and lock the doors

So they put it in park, press the button, take out the key and go. Then when return they just insert the key and turn to run position (no need to start correct?) to override yes? Or is a restart required?

Keys put back into ignition, turn to run, device turned off, and you are aready to go, simple as that.

Exclamation

Finally got a reliable source for this (I hope).

This Devise installs in about 10 minutes. (no professional installation needed)
    Requires no action on the part of the Driver to Engage it (Idiot proof)
    Does not alter any vehicle wiring (so you can remove when you sell the vehicle and keep for next)
    Secures vehicle if its' running or not (can still break in and strip interior but limo will be there in morning)
    Been in service for 15 years with no failures (if it does fail it goes back to normal operation, fail safe)

Installation Pictures for 2005 and newer Lincoln Town cars
    Available for 98-04 Town car just maybe not from this supplier
    (Contact me on how to find used ones on ebay for older models)
    Available for other model vehicles as well inquire with the source below.

You first take off the lower cover of the steering column (three 7mm Screws) and this is what you see. Pay attention to the Green Plug, unplug it.

Then feed the 2 connectors from the module up through the bottom of the dash into the underside of the steering column. Plug the vehicles plug into one of the modules plug and the other into the same place you took out the factory plug.

Put Cover back on. You then can zip tie the module to a under dash support. Then you mount the bypass switch to turn off the system in case you need to send the car to the mechanic or through a car wash and do not want those folks to know the secret of the system. And this is where you have to decide how you want to handle the placement of this switch. When Installing these on our vehicles we decided not to tell our drivers how to disengage the system for fear they would turn it off when out. So we mounted the switch up in the dash next to the module. We only go to one car wash and one mechanic and trained them on how to use the system. We feel it is OK if a few trusted people know the secret rather than have the risk of the system being deactivated by our drivers. If you do decide to mount the switch in an accessible place they make provisions to mount it next to the emergency brake release and it in no way looks like any kind of switch I have ever seen so it will not be easily detected.

Next you mount a foot pedal actuator under the carpet.

Cover the switch with the carpet and you are done.

Now when someone gets in the vehicle (running or not) in order to take the vehicle out of park they need to step on the brake and the hidden foot pedal at the same time. Takes a few times to get used to but after that becomes like second nature.

Cost is $110.95 Each Plus Shipping (small discount for quantity buys)
    Contact is :
    Brian Spivack
    602-621-4939
    bspivack@AEP911.com

Just let him know the year of your vehicle and that you want the "Limousine Anti Theft Devise"

Hope this saves a life someday!

After Dean sent me this story:
    Limousine Chase on I-95

911 Tapes of the passengers in the rear:
    911 tapes

And I watched on our local news the other night $100k Ambulance in a pursuit with eventually it rolling. (It's after the commercial)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=671791n

And of course there was the Carjacking incident of Bob Gooch at a Gas station
    Limo Jacking

Was wondering what kind of things can we do to keep our limos / Employees from this fate. I have often wondered if there was a devise that could prevent these things.

Satilite shut down of the car would be real cool if you knew it was stolen.

What about a devise where after you put it in drive within a minute you have to enter a code of the fuel pump will shut off until you enter it.

Any other ideas you are actually doing or have dreamed about?

With our vehicles mentioned as a potential use for terrorists, I think this may be an idea worth looking into.
    If you have one of the newer OnStar models they can disable the ignition. (Haven't you seen that commercial)

You also can buy a device that will disable your vehicle if you hit the button. I don't have this device, but I know there is something out there.

You can use Accutracking to track your car cheaply and I HAVE used one of them before. They work pretty well www.accutracking.com You can buy their all in one kit for $90 and the service is only 15 bucks a month. You can check it from a computer OR from a smartphone. You also can set it up so you get texted if your car goes out of a pre defined area.

If you have one of the newer OnStar models they can disable the ignition.
    Yes but not before damage is done to your vehicle or your driver is run over in the gas station as in the example article below. With this devise they never even get a chance to get rolling!

You also can buy a device that will disable your vehicle if you hit the button.
    Yes there are many ways to disable a vehicle but all require your employee to engage them at the right time. This soloution requires no act on the part of your employee. It is engaged every time the vehicle is placed in park, running or not.

I have a line on a few used ones of these devises that I would be happy to send to the first 3 people that contact me for cost if they would want to try one out on thier 2005+ town cars. Shot me an email or PM. Only catch is you must report back on how you and your employees like it, positive or negative.

Yes but not before damage is done to your vehicle or your driver is run over in the gas station as in the example article below. With this devise they never even get a chance to get rolling!

Yes there are many ways to disable a vehicle but all require your employee to engage them at the right time. This soloution requires no act on the part of your employee. It is engaged every time the vehicle is placed in park, running or not.

I have a line on a few used ones of these devises that I would be happy to send to the first 3 people that contact me for cost if they would want to try one out on thier 2005+ town cars. Shot me an email or PM. Only catch is you must report back on how you and your employees like it, positive or negative.
    Hmmmm. I was strongly considering this but I think I'll pass. Don't want to do any modifications to my vehicles. Anytime you start changing things if there is an accident that is the first thing they look for. Another reason I don't change my vehicles from the factory.

Steve W are you the guy that bought that stretched Caprice? If so just wondering if you ever got it done I liked that car big time

i think that the gps that has an engine kill is a great idea. not just for the risk of the car being stolen, but for any other time you may need it. employees using the cars for leisure, etc etc. security devices like these can also drop any full coverage insurance rates. yes, a good driver should never leave the car unattended and running, but not all thefts occur when a vehicle is unattended and running.

Don't want to do any modifications to my vehicles. Anytime you start changing things if there is an accident that is the first thing they look for. Another reason I don't change my vehicles from the factory.
    J are you worried this would cause an accident? Also I think the insurance companies know we cut these cars in half and add a 10 foot section. What could be more modifed than that! LOL

No I never owned that Caprice Limo. A fourm member here that restores and sells old police caprices was trying to get it but do not think he ever did. Unknown where she is now??