Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limo Security

After Dean sent me this story:
    Limousine Chase on I-95

911 Tapes of the passengers in the rear:
    911 tapes

And I watched on our local news the other night $100k Ambulance in a pursuit with eventually it rolling. (It's after the commercial)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=671791n

And of course there was the Carjacking incident of Bob Gooch at a Gas station
    Limo Jacking

Was wondering what kind of things can we do to keep our limos / Employees from this fate. I have often wondered if there was a devise that could prevent these things.

Satilite shut down of the car would be real cool if you knew it was stolen.

What about a devise where after you put it in drive within a minute you have to enter a code of the fuel pump will shut off until you enter it.

Any other ideas you are actually doing or have dreamed about?

With our vehicles mentioned as a potential use for terrorists, I think this may be an idea worth looking into.
    Last edited by Steve W.; February 7th, 2010 at 12:46 AM.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Some of the GPS systems I have been looking into have the ability to do engine kill, but this seems to be an uncessary expense.

A good driver should not leave a car running and unattended.
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

Steve

The safety and security of the vehicle is the chauffeurs responsibility. That is why the chauffeur does not hob nob with the clients, does not leave his vehicle unattended etc.

There is no need for any other device/s while this responsibility is being discharged.

Dick Hall

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dick Hall:
    Steve

The safety and security of the vehicle is the chauffeurs responsibility. That is why the chauffeur does not hob nob with the clients, does not leave his vehicle unattended etc.

There is no need for any other device/s while this responsibility is being discharged.

Dick Hall <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct Dick, pity that some chauffeurs don't realise that if they don't look out for their Limo and the company is fully booked with work they may end up without any work until their vehicle has been repaired during down time as all their other cars will be working flat out, hence its a great incentive to look after the vehicle so THEY can continue to make a living !
    Same goes for the way the vehicle is driven as repairs can take time too.

At the heighth of last prom season, local company owner/driver with 2 vehicles had a pickup at a men's club @ 19:30, stopped in front, left vehicle idling, went inside to get client. The club had a new valet.
    Owner came out four minutes later, no vehicle.

Seems an individual came out, got into the back, climbed through the divider, drove the car off.

Immediately called 911, car was observed in a close encounter with a parking garage concrete column some 30 minutes later, thief fled,never to be found.

Car escaped with about $1500 damage to driver's side extension. Valet described culprit to club owner; lost job because he misidentified ethnic brother not knowing the culprit was captured on entrance video camera.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

> does not leave his vehicle unattended etc.

> A good driver should not leave a car running
    > and unattended.

I am not talking about a driver walking away from a limo (although that does sometimes happens) but what about when they are waiting at the back of the limo, dealing with luggage, opening the gate to your yard, getting gas at the gas station.

Tex do you train your guys to shut off the car and take the keys with them in these situations?

Not to mention them getting CarJacked.

I agree it should never happen with a careful driver but lets assume it may happen, we have seen it has happened in the past. What makes your drivers so diffrent?

I am sure that ambulance company had a policy in place as well, does not mean they are not replacing one of thier rigs right now.

Get them heads out of the sand

Found something Here:
    Base Eng.

we have a simple system. if you have to walk away , you shut down and lock it up.

for all the other situations , every driver gets two sets of keys and two key fobs. you can still lock the car and leave it run if need be.

they are trained to always put the spare in the pant pocket before leaving the yard. never the coat pocket , as we often take our coats off while driving.

two sets of keys and remotes is much less expensive than all these other methods.

Had an even simpler idea today. You know where you have to press on the brake in order to get it out of drive. What if we taped into one side of that circuit with a momentary switch on the dash. So in order to take it out of drive you have to press on the brake and press this switch. Hopefully we could disguise this switch as a traction controll button or something similar. So it would be hidden in plain view so to speak. Or a secret button on the bottom of the steering column would work also.

If you have ever had that switch fail you can attets it is impossible to get it out of park.

I did have the fuse pop on my H2 for that switch , which also somehow disbaled my microphone to allow onstar to hear me , so when I called onstar to see if they knew why my H2 wouldn't come out of park , they could n't hear me and kept asking why certain things were disabled , they then called the police because now they were assuming I was in an accident and couldn't respond. I fixed the fuse , and drove off. Police show up at my house at 2am thinking my Hummer had been stolen.

Gotta' love all this technology.

I had an old 442 that used a remote fuel pump switch. Both batteries and fuels pumps were mounted in the trunk. You had to reach under the dash to the hidden switch , and turn the pumps on before you could fire the engine.

This was the best anti-theft device I ever had.

Seems with todays technology , this could be done by key fob so it is encoded and fool proof.

Just an idea.

> You had to reach under the dash to the hidden switch , and
    > turn the pumps on before you could fire the engine.
    > This was the best anti-theft device I ever had.

I agree that is good if you remember to turn them off when you leave the car. The most vanurable scenario I see is a driver getting out of a car leaving it running in park to assist the customer. Someone could walk up to the drivers door, open it and get in before the driver even notices. Even worse on a stretched SUV when the driver cannot even see the drivers side when he is on the passenger side.

We need something that does not require any act by the driver to engage, in other words a passive activation.

In fact do limo Insuarance companies give any discount for passive anti theft devises?

The definition of an Oxy -Moron :
    Insurance Companies / Discounts

The definition of an Insurance company ?
    We cover you for everything........................................ ............................EXCEPT !!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, I just read that stolen limo story. Everyone seemed ok so it's pretty funny the guy stole the limo in Georgia, then picked up a fare in Florida.

Ballsy.

More than 10 ft from limo, shut it down or lock it down, divider up. Getting door, lock driver's door and keep 2nd key or remote with you.

Any playing around with the shifter interlock is asking for a point in time where it breaks down and you have a limo stuck at the airport with a VIP in the back.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

> Any playing around with the shifter interlock is asking for
    > a point in time where it breaks down and you have a limo
    > stuck at the airport with a VIP in the back.
    Dave, expound on that a little please. Is that circuit a particularly sensitive one? Would adding 1 foot of wiring and a push button switch affect it? Or are you referring to the eventual failure of the push button switch?

I agree adding one more weak link to that chain could be dangerious but it is such an easy soloution.

Now that is what I call a "Gypsy Operator". Wonder if the limo was in compliance for interstate transportation?
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill