Thread: Why Was Fran Shane Fired?

Fran Shane, the former Executive Director of the NLA dropped off the radar screen awhile back with rumors of ill health stemming from open heart surgery.

It was brought up in another thread that he was in fact fired & did not resign his position due to health reasons.

After consulting with some NLA members it looks as though it was a firing but no one seems to know the exact reasoning why the NLA Executive Director was unceremoniously tossed to the curb.

Rumor has it:
    He & Jeff Greene did not get along.

Difference of priorities.

Fran actually wanted to do the right thing for the entire industry & this ran against the grain of Bobit & Co who uses the NLA as a for-profit vehicle.

Recognizing a huge untapped market of smaller operators being strangled by repetitive regulatory licensing, Fran wanted to move the NLA in as a freedom fighter against the wishes of the anti-trust cartel.

All kinds of ideas & rumors of why Fran got canned.

One thing is not a rumor though. The membership of the NLA was not informed of the reasoning why the person filling the chair of Executive Director got the boot & who did the kicking. Not that the firing of the nonprofit Executive Director is of any import to the general membership.

Whereas Bobit (LCT) controls much of the information diseminated to the NLA Membership it has been put in a position of either lying about the reasons & thereby opening itself up to rebutting by Fran himself or simply not informing the general membership of the reasoning for this action & keeping them in the dark.

Regardless, the general membership of this nonprofit was not informed of the reasons for this change of command nor did the membership have any say.

Unless Fran himsef makes a public statement regarding his firing, the TRUTH will most likely never be made known if the the general membership actually lost a faithful ally due to politics stinking up this nonprofit organization.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

A class action lawsuit filed by members would reveal all the cloak-and-dagger deals.

Member Limo Padawan

Being a former two term NLA Board Member, I can share some information with you.

I was there when Fran was hired. My experience with him on the Board was a positive one. I thought he did a good job and unlike other previous NLA Directors he was easey to work with, he listen and he did not have an attitude. Team work is important in this hard and sometimes thankless job.

I was surprized to hear when Fran left. I do not know the reason. But I can tell you, just like other high profile jobs, there was probably a serverence package with a no comment clause on both sides. So Gunny and Wade, I think we will never have the whole story made pubic.

Gunny, I think your views on Bobit are misplaced. I can tell you from being there, that if it had not been for Bobit, the NLA would have gone out of business. Under the previous managment company, we were nearly broke. I became the treasurer and Scott the President after the break. Membership was on the decline and the fees we had to pay the old firm was killing the NLA.

Bobit formed the management company to help the NLA get back on its feet. Unless things have changed since I left, Bobit does not make a whole lot of money from this venture, in fact, I think they feel lucky when they break even.

Gunny, I agree with you that the NLA should spend more time and money helping small opertors and assications fight regulatory excesses. I try to do that as a Board member without much success.

I must tell you, I enjoyed most of my time on the Board. I got to know alot of companies during my time and especially when I headed the Vendor Liason Group. I am no longer a member of the NLA but that is because of a personal reason. Some of you already know why, but thats another story to be told at the right time. When the time is right, I will rejoin again and maybe even run for the Board again. Like the old saying "Thank you Sir, May I have Another."

John, They would have gone out of business because the Board of that DAY had voted for the contract with Host Communications. The Board put the NLA into that situation.
    Originally posted by John Sinibaldi:
    Being a former two term NLA Board Member, I can share some information with you.

I was there when Fran was hired. My experience with him on the Board was a positive one. I thought he did a good job and unlike other previous NLA Directors he was easey to work with, he listen and he did not have an attitude. Team work is important in this hard and sometimes thankless job.

I was surprized to hear when Fran left. I do not know the reason. But I can tell you, just like other high profile jobs, there was probably a serverence package with a no comment clause on both sides. So Gunny and Wade, I think we will never have the whole story made pubic.

Gunny, I think your views on Bobit are misplaced. I can tell you from being there, that if it had not been for Bobit, the NLA would have gone out of business. Under the previous managment company, we were nearly broke. I became the treasurer and Scott the President after the break. Membership was on the decline and the fees we had to pay the old firm was killing the NLA.

Bobit formed the management company to help the NLA get back on its feet. Unless things have changed since I left, Bobit does not make a whole lot of money from this venture, in fact, I think they feel lucky when they break even.

Gunny, I agree with you that the NLA should spend more time and money helping small opertors and assications fight regulatory excesses. I try to do that as a Board member without much success.

I must tell you, I enjoyed most of my time on the Board. I got to know alot of companies during my time and especially when I headed the Vendor Liason Group. I am no longer a member of the NLA but that is because of a personal reason. Some of you already know why, but thats another story to be told at the right time. When the time is right, I will rejoin again and maybe even run for the Board again. Like the old saying "Thank you Sir, May I have Another."
    Dean Schuler

Member Limo Padawan

Your are correct Dean. However the Board at that time was sold a bill of goods. Thats why I and other worked hard to get rid of Host. There were other companies to look at, but Bobit by far had the best financial deal for the NLA.

John

John,

Appreciate your insight & experience you bring forth.

During my 20 year USMC career, from time to time a superior in the chain of command would be relieved for cause. Recognizing rumors as being detrimental to overall morale, the troops would receive a brief on the action taken.

Now, in the case of the NLA, a nonprofit, dues driven entity. Any move or agreement between Bobit or the Directors to enter into a no-comment clause to repress from the stakeholders of this nonprofit the events surrounding the "relief of duties" of the Executive Director, is to be deemed unethical.

If Fran was given a severance package, who's paying for it? If it is the stakeholders, then they have a right to know and management an obligation to advise the membership of such.

We can go back-n-forth on what's in it for Bobit & the repeated history of the NLA leaderships mismanagement of funds. Another time & place for that.

Doesn't say much for their intelligence if they couldn't do a basic cost analysis. I told them they were whistling Dixie at the time.
    Originally posted by John Sinibaldi:
    Your are correct Dean. However the Board at that time was sold a bill of goods. Thats why I and other worked hard to get rid of Host. There were other companies to look at, but Bobit by far had the best financial deal for the NLA.

John
    Dean Schuler

John lets all be honest about the NLA. The only real reason to be a member is to be in the NLA directory. That to me is the only tangible benfit. Other than finances things are the same at the NLA everything is secret. I remember when you were treasurer you responded to some comments here and then were silenced. Lets not act like your weren't. It's not right for paying memebers not to be informed of decisions such as the firing of the Executive Director. Just like it's not right for them to refuse to help members that are in regulatory fights and for board members to restrict competition in the industry.

Member Limo Padawan

Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    John lets all be honest about the NLA. The only real reason to be a member is to be in the NLA directory. That to me is the only tangible benfit. Other than finances things are the same at the NLA everything is secret. I remember when you were treasurer you responded to some comments here and then were silenced. Lets not act like your weren't. It's not right for paying memebers not to be informed of decisions such as the firing of the Executive Director. Just like it's not right for them to refuse to help members that are in regulatory fights and for board members to restrict competition in the industry.
    Wade

Your are right that the directory is probably the best investment in the NLA. And yes, you are right, I and others were silenced. I have always felt that NLA should be the Big Brother or Sister to help small operators that are being harassed by State and Local gov't.

I will address the executive actions as best I can. I know Gunny, you would like answers to the serverence pkg. Well keep in mind, that the Director of the NLA is actualy an employee of the Management Company, whether it being Bobit or Host. Therefore if the Board or even if the Management Company wants to change directors, the payout is from the Management Company. The mgt company could try to recoup their cost when biding on the renewal contract. The NLA pays a monthly mgt fee for services rendered. The fee includes personnel wages. There are commissions sometimes when it comes to selling ads or tickets, etc.

I don't know what happen to Shane. As I said, I thought he was a good Director when I was on the Board. When Tom Mazza left, that was more of a mutual decison between Bobit, Tom and yes the Board. I will not go into details, but my personal feeling about Tom, is that he knows his material about the industry, but he is best left alone to run his own company. Working for others in a structure setting is not for him. Enough said about that.

Also, if any of you have employees; in many States there could be liabiltiy issures when giving out references. That's why you might only hear, what the employee's job descriptions was and how long the employee worked for them. I have had to use this tatic before.
    John

Good insight being pased here that I'm sure has the lurkers cowering

One thing that stands out crystal clear is that the leadership of the NLA & Bobit has a history of repressing information from the stakeholders whose dues pays managements salaries.

With total revenue reported in 2000 of $897k to $676k in 2005 one would have to question the overall value of funds spent on management fees. Of course membership dues did rise from $304k in 2000 to $387k in 2005 so there was improvement there though without a dues table, who knows the actual added member numbers.

An LCT writer made a comment that the NLA & Bobit are 2 completely seperate entities & I don't see this & in fact see Bobit pulling the NLA in the direction it wants.

The most important issue though is the repressing of information, passing misinformation & penalizing those who speak out. It is the most cowardly thing an organization can institute & it does nothing but develope distrust with the stakeholders.

I hope someday, someone with balls will print the truth regarding Shane & other matters. But, with the short leash Bobit has on its servants , I will not hold my breath.