Thread: PUC licenses

I've been driving for a few years and am just now collecting information on starting my own service. I've been saving and plan to buy one new 6-8 pax Lincoln in about six months. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated but, specifically, I'm trying to decipher this thick application packet from the California Public Utilities Commission. As a sole proprietorship, with no other employees, am I required to submit a urinalisis to the state...or merely sign documents stating a drug-free work policy? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by acurate (edited 12-21-1999).]

Contact Larry Scott at
    A Players Limousine

aplayerslimo@worldnet.att.net

He would be familiar with the PUC rules and regulations and probably would give you some insight.

Yes, you will be required to have the results of your anti-drug/anti-alcohol testing sent directly to PUC in Sacramento.

You will need to be a part of a random pool. You can setup under another pool, or the best route is to sign up your own company with it's own program. That way, should you ever add other drivers, you'll already be set up with your own program.

As far as the application, read all instructions fully and carefully. It is absolutely best if you can type the application NEATLY. Why? Because in reality you get the car(s) first. Then you get the livery insurance, THEN you go for the PUC. All the other items MUST be in place before PUC can or will do anything for you.

Sounds like all you may want is a "P" permit for limousines, as opposed to a "B" or "A" certificate (which allow larger vehicles). If that's the case, then you won't need the parts relating to a maintenance program, nor will you require CHP to come out to inspect your terminal.

I was asked by a bus driver friend of mine to find out where to apply for a PUC license to start a limo business in PA. He has his CDL and 22 years driving experience. In PA there is a PA-100 form to be filled out when you start a new business. Will this application be all he needs to fill out or is there another office or application needed from there?
    Thank You,
    Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mjw2366:
    I was asked by a bus driver friend of mine to find out where to apply for a PUC license to start a limo business in PA. He has his CDL and 22 years driving experience. In PA there is a PA-100 form to be filled out when you start a new business. Will this application be all he needs to fill out or is there another office or application needed from there?
    Thank You,
    Michael
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If he is not in Allegheny County, he must have a PUC Certificate of Public Convenience. He must either purchase one from an existing company, or he may apply from scratch. This should not be attempted without a lawyer experienced in such matters. Either way, expect protests and proceedings before an Administrative Law Judge. This process will take about 6-7 months and will cost anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000, and he may not be approved. In any event, to repeat, tell him to see a PUC lawyer.