Thread: Death of Town Cars?

This weekend I had to pickup my sister from Sky Harbor Airport (PHX) and noticed something quite interesting:

In the area where limousines and sedans pickup clients, I noticed a slew of Cadillac Escalades and Ford Excursions, non-stretched.

I looks like these vehicles are now being used, in place of luxury sedans to pickup clients at airports. Then I thought, as a business traveler, would you rather be driven to your destination in a new Lincoln Town car or a new Cadillac Escalade? I would prefer the Escalade because of its size and above ground height. It also has more head room.

Could the Lincoln Town Car be in trouble for the vehicle of choice of corporate travelers? I think it could make for an interesting niche for some companies. Apparently, it has here!

Michael

The vehicles you mention are becoming more popular, but not so much among the business traveler as the non-business traveler. You reached a potentially right conclusion, but for a different reason. The Town Car is threatened, but the threat is Cadillac, not the SUV. The Town Car is being marginalized by none other than - - - - Ford itself. The Ford SUVs are cannibalizing part of the TC market, and the failure to upgrade a vehicle based on 1976 technology is abdicating the market to Cadillac, the same way GM did in the 1980s. Cadillac is becoming the livery sedan of choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viperion Corporation / Limos.com:
    This weekend I had to pickup my sister from Sky Harbor Airport (PHX) and noticed something quite interesting:

In the area where limousines and sedans pickup clients, I noticed a slew of Cadillac Escalades and Ford Excursions, non-stretched.

I looks like these vehicles are now being used, in place of luxury sedans to pickup clients at airports. Then I thought, as a business traveler, would you rather be driven to your destination in a new Lincoln Town car or a new Cadillac Escalade? I would prefer the Escalade because of its size and above ground height. It also has more head room.

Could the Lincoln Town Car be in trouble for the vehicle of choice of corporate travelers? I think it could make for an interesting niche for some companies. Apparently, it has here!

Michael

http://www.limousinesonline.com/proudmember.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
    Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

Is there anybody out there that can give us some input about consumer opinion?

Matt Harrison
    AAA Guaranteed On-Time Limouisne, Clinton NJ

I prefer the big SUV over the towncar -- I should qualify as a consumer because I don't own a limo company. I wouldn't think a consumer would be disgruntled if a big Escalade showed up, instead of a Town Car; probably the opposite, pleasantly surprised.

I simply like being higher above the ground, I feel saver, and it is more roomier.

From a business perspective, an Escalade has more luggage capacity and more flexibility. You could probably take 4 passengers with luggage in an Escalade - try that with a Town Car.

I think it is in the same price range as a new Town Car too!

There is no doubt that SUVs are getting popular particularly with the 'in' crowd but I can say for certainty that ladies do not like them. A lady has difficulty when wearing a skirt and trying to climb up into an SUV.
    I know I have a custom built Ford Expedition SUV, and my Cadillac limousine is the vehicle prefered by the ladies.
    Sincerely Dick Hall

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viperion Corporation / Limos.com:
    I prefer the big SUV over the towncar -- I should qualify as a consumer because I don't own a limo company. I wouldn't think a consumer would be disgruntled if a big Escalade showed up, instead of a Town Car; probably the opposite, pleasantly surprised.

I simply like being higher above the ground, I feel saver, and it is more roomier.

From a business perspective, an Escalade has more luggage capacity and more flexibility. You could probably take 4 passengers with luggage in an Escalade - try that with a Town Car.

I think it is in the same price range as a new Town Car too! Corporate likes the Town car!!

Dean Schuler

As a consumer, nothing will replace the feeling of seeing that black long classy stretch pulling up to get you. An SUV is nice, but you can own one if you like it that much. I dont see many limos in peoples driveways so there is still that sense of luxery when you see it. Long live the stretch, SUVs are a fad.

Actually, we are comparing the Town Car (unstretched) to the SUV (unstretched), not a stretch limo to an SUV.

I would agree with you that a stretch limo over a SUV would be preferable. . . but a standard Town Car, no.

Miguel

i work at bls limo and they have nothing but towncars, and all have the extra six inches. the clients love it... it competes well with the caddy. i dont think clients will care enough as long as it gets them to the airport or where ever they have to go.

Actually, we are comparing the Town Car (unstretched) to the SUV (unstretched), not a stretch limo to an SUV.

I would agree with you that a stretch limo over a SUV would be preferable. . . but a standard Town Car, no.

Miguel My clients want sedans only, period. Every market is different, I suppose.

Dean Schuler

Gee, I would sooner pay the gas bill for my Limo than the gas bill for an SUV !
    One last point is, I don't get much call for cross country off road pick ups so I'll stick with the dainty quiet ladies that live on paved roads who like to slip into a luxury vehicle with some sense of style without having to climb a ladder to get in. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my service i use both a t/c and a suburban. the suburban is nice and roomy, and can accomodate up to 7 people plus driver, with room for significant luggage. am finding that some corporate clients who dont want the stretch image will appreciate the suv.
    also we use it a lot here for the mountain drives to vail, aspen, breckenridge, etc., i cant tell you how often we get a call from one of the FBO's when the mountain airports are shut down to take the diverted passengers.
    it is also good as well as for those days when snow and ice prevail in denver, gives the passenger a comfort feeling
    of course there are certainly those who prefer the simple luxury of the towncar, and the little old ladies who dont want to climb up into the suburban