Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dallas/Fort Worth Association

Blog Entries

Ok, so this is a VERY old thread, I know, BUT, there still hasn't been any improvements with the DFW association. I am EXTREMELY disappointed and don't know who or where to turn.

I was contacted almost a year ago for the first time from the DFW Limo Association stating that we were finally going to have a meeting and all were invited. The first in about 2 or 3 years as far as I know. I attended, and we had a newly appointed President and some other members who had a laundry list of issues they were going to take on. Requested we all join and pay our yearly dues and promised that the association was going to become active again and also that we would have a meeting bi-monthly.

Needless to say, there has not been another meeting and nothing has been done. When I contact our newly appointed President, she states she sold her company and is no longer in the industry. I want to know what happened to our dues. What, if anything was done other than spruce up the home page of the website to include members only buttons that don't work or no one has access to. What happened to the laundry list of issues that the association was supposedly going to take on? For instance, multiple cities with multiple operating authorities all asking for money or airport gypsies or the new Cowboy Stadium?

I would like to actively participate, contribute and be a part of a local association and think we can go places to help us all, however, I cannot. I have sent an email to the NLA but am not sure what, if anything else I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenOnWheels View Post
    I would like to actively participate, contribute and be a part of a local association and think we can go places to help us all, however, I cannot. I have sent an email to the NLA but am not sure what, if anything else I can do.
    Why don't you call all members for a meeting. Hold emergeny elections to elect a new president (like yourself) . Be a leader and make the association a viable one. Don't expect someone else to do what you're not willing to step up to the plate to do.
    Last edited by gunny; January 15th, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
    End the Corruption. Disband the Hillsborough County Public Transportation Commission www.thefita.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    Why don't you call all members for a meeting. Hold emergeny elections to elect a new president (like yourself) . Be a leader and make the association a viable one. Don't expect someone else to do what you're not willing to step up to the plate to do.
    I am, believe me. I have sent out emails to all 22 or so members (Houston has 4 times the amount of members we do) and am waiting for responses. I don't wish to "impeach" the current President but feel that if they are not doing the job correctly, or not at all, maybe it's time to step aside and let someone else do the job.

I have heard from one other member and he shares my disappointment in our association and we will be talking soon.

I have come to the forum for advice on what other local associations have done or what options I have to try to better ours.

I am, believe me. I have sent out emails to all 22 or so members (Houston has 4 times the amount of members we do) and am waiting for responses. I don't wish to "impeach" the current President but feel that if they are not doing the job correctly, or not at all, maybe it's time to step aside and let someone do the job.

I have heard from one other member and he shares my disappointment in our association and we will be talking soon.

I have come to the forum for advice on what other local associations have done or what options I have to try to better ours.
    By your post with the current prez out of biz I assumed she no longers wants to hold the position or be involved. If this is the case, get someone in charge who wants to be there. If no one wants to take the bull by the horns, fold up the tents.

Moshe & I have blocked changes to law, initiated action to make changes to the law, have pulled a state agency into the fray, responsible for the firing of an agency dictator, known by individuals in the news media who call me for technical background research as well as prosecuting legal action in the courts. This is only 2 of us who have taken the time, money and effort to make things happen.

In other words, there is the DFW association with X amount of members. Pick an issue that has high priority, find a few willing to join you in prosecuting the issue and prepare to sweat and sacrifice.

I'd rather belong to an association of 10 go-getters than 100 no-guts.
    End the Corruption. Disband the Hillsborough County Public Transportation Commission www.thefita.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    In other words, there is the DFW association with X amount of members. Pick an issue that has high priority, find a few willing to join you in prosecuting the issue and prepare to sweat and sacrifice.

I'd rather belong to an association of 10 go-getters than 100 no-guts.
    I may not say this often, but I think you are 100% right. I guess I didn't explain it all the way. The pres when I joined stepped down a few months after taking office is my understanding. There is someone who stepped up, but, as far as I know, has done nothing. Not one meeting, not even an email telling us he is now the new president. I found out by contacting the NLA who the new president was. He was in the list of people I emailed today so I guess we will see if he even bothers to respond.

I may not say this often, but I think you are 100% right. I guess I didn't explain it all the way. The pres when I joined stepped down a few months after taking office is my understanding. There is someone who stepped up, but, as far as I know, has done nothing. Not one meeting, not even an email telling us he is now the new president. I found out by contacting the NLA who the new president was. He was in the list of people I emailed today so I guess we will see if he even bothers to respond.
    Send an e-mail with point blank questions addressed to the new prez. Starting with, I found out from the NLA that you are now the prez of the assoc. & you find it insulting that you had to contact the NLA for this info. Then ask why no meetings have been scheduled, the need for the assoc. to develop a platform. Issues you want addressed etc.. Be something unusual, a member who wants to be active in the assoc. & not just a check writer.

Copy it to all assoc. members

I just got to this thread after posting similar thought in the "Join NLA or Not" thread. Organizations get run by big companies because there is a lot of expense involved for the volunteers that make up the board and most little guys are afraid of the travel expense, the long distance phone bills, the additional postage etc.

If you can't make the current association get their act together, start over. I know you are an NLA member and Phillip can provide all the required resources to start over. If the current association has languished for years - it is dead.

I am afraid letters alone will not do it. You have to call every single company and ask them to join the movement. Again, this all takes time. You can't delegate it. YOU must call and invite them to come and share how important it is and what your dreams and visions are and make sure they support them while collecting their issues and dreams as well.

Good luck! Do IT! Don't just talk about it. Be the leader. Grab that bull by the horns as Gunny says.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Blog Entries

This months Limousine Digest magazine had an article on the DFW limousine association and all the things they are working on. Neil Weiss visited a DFWLA meeting in December and took pics and wrote the article. My question is, why was I or 5 other members that I know of invited or even knew of the meeting? Was it a closed-door meeting that only a select few that attended were invited? Should local associations be holding closed-door meetings?

It's not like they don't have our contact info. It's right on the limo association's website, current phone number and email address. When I asked the current President why we weren't invited and when the next meeting in February is going to be, I receive no answer.......

What's the deal?