Thread: Navigation

I never really thought much about in-car navigation until I bought my wife and myself new personal cars this year with factory navigation. Now I don't want to drive without it.

I wanted it in my modest fleet, but was afraid it would not fit into the budget until I tried one of those Tomtom GPS systems (the GO 910)
    that are all over TV. (You have seen the annoying ads.)

Less than $500 each and they work as well as, or better than the Chrysler and VW factory Navs that are in my personal cars.

Lots of cool features like real-time traffic, hands-free Bluetooth,remote controls, voice command, and even MP3 capability.

It actually has a poor-man's GPS tracking capability. You can add a "buddy" (another Tomtom) to your system, and as long as his systen is turned on, you can navigate to him. (Not fool-proof, but not bad for the money.)

Anyone wanting to slap a navigation system into a car without one should check these devices out.

Banned

This is a Great Idea!!!
    We first tried one in one of our limos about 8 months ago. It works so well and has proven to be a big asset to our company, that we now have them in all of our vehicles. We are using a Garmin C330 about $399 at best buy. They were actually willing to give us a discount due to the number we bought.

Blog Entries

Personally my limos never leave without the Megallen on the dash. Since most of my runs are night-out events I have all of the bars, gentlemans clubs and resturants programmed in. It's best thing ever for a limousine.

Senior Member Limo Padawan

I bought one of the first Tom-Tom's available (Tom-Tom Go) before it was even shipping here in the U.S. I love it. I too bought it so I could move it from car to car, and it is great for new drivers that need a little help.

One side benefit, for those of us over 40 who's eyesight isn't what it used to be, is that even if you know the general area you are going to, you can read the upcoming street names on the screen FAR before you can make out the street signs, especially at night. And, I understand that the newer models have a text-to-speech capability that can even read them off to you.

Highly reccomended.
    Jim Martin
    Night Out Limousine
    Hollister, CA

Originally posted by NightOut:
    I bought one of the first Tom-Tom's available (Tom-Tom Go) before it was even shipping here in the U.S. I love it. I too bought it so I could move it from car to car, and it is great for new drivers that need a little help.

One side benefit, for those of us over 40 who's eyesight isn't what it used to be, is that even if you know the general area you are going to, you can read the upcoming street names on the screen FAR before you can make out the street signs, especially at night. And, I understand that the newer models have a text-to-speech capability that can even read them off to you.

Highly reccomended.
    Yup, the GO 910 has 10 or 12 different voices to choose from that will not only give turn by turn directions, but also provide route names.

Only the computer generated voices, which are not quite as articulate as the recorded voices, can repeat the route names.

You are right on the mark about the older-set and the ability to read road names. The screen is easily readable, even without my tri-focals.

Blog Entries

i just placed an order for 4 more Megallen 2000 GPS. They are on sale @ your local radio shack for $249.00. The lowest price I have seen till todate.

We have about 4 more of them. It really helps us a lot. No more winding down the window in the rain or slowing down to see each and every street sign.