Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: noise from rear 1996

Senior Member Limo Padawan

up until now i've had the bearings and seals done, the brakes have plenty of ware left in them and theres no leaks or fluids in the drums!

i will swap cars around as i don't normaly drive this one! then i can keep a better check on it.

This may seem a silly question Smit, but have you fitted a new set of rear shoes on this car or were they fitted by the last owner and do you know if they have been fitted with the leading edge in the correct position ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alimo:
    This may seem a silly question Smit, but have you fitted a new set of rear shoes on this car or were they fitted by the last owner and do you know if they have been fitted with the leading edge in the correct position ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not a bad question at all that! and i have no idea i will ask the mechanic.

i havent got any work for the car for about a week so i might get him to look anyway how can you tell if there in right?

Check the brake lines for kinks or flat bends.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

Do we have any update on the problem so far ?

just put new pads and discs on the front due to getting low and have been told that one cylinder was seized, i drove it about 6 miles and there was a hint of the problem but not much, i think i will have the rear shoes replaced anyway after this weekend!

just thought i'd let you know i got this sorted a while ago and it was the planet wheels in the diff. they had a small amount of damage but it made a big problem.

its lovely and quite and smooth

Glad to hear you got it fixed, I guess I have never heard of such a term as Planet Wheels here in the U.S.. I have heard of a Planetary gears in the Transmission but not in the rear end. I guess I will assume that you mean a U.S. term of Spider Gears. If they have chiped teeth, they will make a lot of noise.
    David E. Merrill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Merrill:
    Glad to hear you got it fixed, I guess I have never heard of such a term as Planet Wheels here in the U.S.. I have heard of a Planetary gears in the Transmission but not in the rear end. I guess I will assume that you mean a U.S. term of Spider Gears. If they have chiped teeth, they will make a lot of noise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think we meen the same thing! funny how names change in translation