Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noise from rear 1996

Senior Member Limo Padawan

i've noticed that a noise from the rear of my 96 lincoln is getting worse, it happens after applying the brakes when you pull off again you get a vibration and it feels like the brakes are binding or sticking on, i've had the rear flexi hose's replaced a while ago and that seemed to help but its now a lot worse.

any suggestions please?

cheers smit

Have you pulled the rear Drums and looked at the Brake shoes? I have had to replace the wheel Cylinders on one of my '97, this could cause the problem you desceibe. Have you had to add brake fluid? Could possible be an axle seal leaking.
    David E. Merrill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Merrill:
    Have you pulled the rear Drums and looked at the Brake shoes? I have had to replace the wheel Cylinders on one of my '97, this could cause the problem you desceibe. Have you had to add brake fluid? Could possible be an axle seal leaking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i will get this all looked at thanks for the advice.

smit,

check that your axle/diff is okay, a chap down south had a non QVM limo chassis and the axle shaft came loose and the whole back wheel and shaft came off , also ripped half the back wing off the limo too !

Hi Smit, if the brake fluid has remained at a constant level it could be a shaft end seal that is leaking fluid out the axle on to your brakes, take BOTH rear wheels and drums off and check for oil contamination of the brake shoes, if contaminated fit new seals and replace the shoes. Other causes could be a broken retention spring allowing the brake shoe to move, brake fluid contamination from a seeping slave cylinder or worn out shoes. I assume that you have checked the park brake release ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alimo:
    Hi Smit, if the brake fluid has remained at a constant level it could be a shaft end seal that is leaking fluid out the axle on to your brakes, take BOTH rear wheels and drums off and check for oil contamination of the brake shoes, if contaminated fit new seals and replace the shoes. Other causes could be a broken retention spring allowing the brake shoe to move, brake fluid contamination from a seeping slave cylinder or worn out shoes. I assume that you have checked the park brake release ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NEVER USE PARK BRAKE

Have you taken off the hubs yet to check them ?

Smit: I am sure you had this problem fixed by now, what did you find?
    David E. Merrill

everything seems ok but i'm having a wheel bearing changed tomorrow as there seems to be a little play in one!

will let you know if it helps

the problem still seems to be there my mechanic said there's damage to the planet wheels but not enough to worry about so i don't know what the problem now is.

Smit, if you can hear and feel the noise up front then just think what your passengers in the rear can hear, for the sake of your reputation and your clients confidence you can't run a car this long with faults like this. Your first post was April 25th and the last post telling us the problem is still not solved is 17th May. As your post stated the brakes are binding its a fault that should be considered as requiring immediate attention because it is a major safety issue, it is one of those items that can't be left to the "wait and see" syndrome, if your mechanic can't find the problem then go to a mechanic who has a rolling road, they will be able to check the vehicle whilst the noise is being created and will most probably locate the fault quite easily. However you decide to tackle it, you must get the problem fixed right away or you could find yourself on a lonely road late at night with a broken down car full of irate clients and that is just not worth contemplating !

Planet Wheels???? The only thing that would even come close to that would be Planetary Gears in the Transmission and if they were bad it is not a matter of if but when you will break down on that lonely road in the middle of the night with a car load of people and a Cell phone with no signal. Find that problem and get it fixed.
    David E. Merrill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alimo:
    Smit, if you can hear and feel the noise up front then just think what your passengers in the rear can hear, for the sake of your reputation and your clients confidence you can't run a car this long with faults like this. Your first post was April 25th and the last post telling us the problem is still not solved is 17th May. As your post stated the brakes are binding its a fault that should be considered as requiring immediate attention because it is a major safety issue, it is one of those items that can't be left to the "wait and see" syndrome, if your mechanic can't find the problem then go to a mechanic who has a rolling road, they will be able to check the vehicle whilst the noise is being created and will most probably locate the fault quite easily. However you decide to tackle it, you must get the problem fixed right away or you could find yourself on a lonely road late at night with a broken down car full of irate clients and that is just not worth contemplating ! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes this is an on going problem that we think is sorted and of we go with no problems and after a while it returns, so for a while we think its fine!
    we dont realy have any propper garages in our area so this is another problem.
    looks like i will have to make the drive over to nottingham but i've even been there with the problem before

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Merrill:
    Planet Wheels???? The only thing that would even come close to that would be Planetary Gears in the Transmission and if they were bad it is not a matter of if but when you will break down on that lonely road in the middle of the night with a car load of people and a Cell phone with no signal. Find that problem and get it fixed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you know if these could cause the sort of problem i'm getting though?

O.K. Smit, lets ask you some questions about this, in your first post you stated that the problem felt like brakes sticking, the next time you have the problem set off and let go the accelerator and tell us if the car stops in a shorter distance than it does when you don't have the problem ( I am assuming that from your post you seem to think its the rear brakes). If when you have the problem, the car stops in a much shorter distance there are only three things that can cause it, faulty brakes, trans fault, or a team of men holding a rope attached to the rear of the car (he,he). the first and simple check is when you have the problem jack up the rear of the car (in neutral) and try to rotate the wheels, if you can't move them then remove the wheels and hubs to inspect the brake shoes etc, check for retaining springs that hold the shoes to the back plate or excess wear in the shoes that may have self adjusted to their max and cause metal to metal wear, also check for oil contamination from a bad half shaft seal. When you have checked all of the above post the results and all of us on here will try to help you to the next stage.