Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit Super Bowl

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Like Wade said the answer is no he does not need the state license for the run type you described.

But is Childers doing the run legal? NO

I have not seen one car from childers at the airport with a USDOT number on the side of the vehicle. If his vehicle is seen doing a pickup or drop at the SuperBowl without these he will be fined for not abiding by federal law.

If Childers is watching this also they should be aware that I think a case is being made against them. I have seen a guy out there writing down there plates and Vin numbers for the last month at DTW. I asked him what he was doing and he told me he was taking down information on companies doing illegal pickups at DTW. Who he worked for was not answered when I asked him.

In response to the I have a USDOT means I do not need to abide by the state law is also incorrect. Case law "from I've been told" in the state of Michigan requires for you to abide by the state statute as well as the federal law. This means anyone coming to detroit to set up shop for a week to do work for superbowl MUST ABIDE BY STATE LAWS AS WELL AS THE FEDERAL LAWS. This means you need Inspections, and to pay the stupid 50 state fee.

If you were in Idaho which has no laws regulating limos than you would be fine but this is not Idaho.

For those of you who want to get info on the single state license here is a link.

Once again as you can see the fees MUST BE PAID. A single state licens eapplication in this case for such a short period of time is porbably more time consuming than just taking 20 minutes to do the job here while your cars are here.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/qu...us_69674_7.pdf

nkokas, David, or anybody:

Where can we read about having limos registered for USDOT. Is this required for all limos? Please give more info! Thank you.

Originally posted by nkokas:
    Like Wade said the answer is no he does not need the state license for the run type you described.

But is Childers doing the run legal? NO

I have not seen one car from childers at the airport with a USDOT number on the side of the vehicle. If his vehicle is seen doing a pickup or drop at the SuperBowl without these he will be fined for not abiding by federal law.

If Childers is watching this also they should be aware that I think a case is being made against them. I have seen a guy out there writing down there plates and Vin numbers for the last month at DTW. I asked him what he was doing and he told me he was taking down information on companies doing illegal pickups at DTW. Who he worked for was not answered when I asked him.
    Nick who is Childers? I have looked at the posts but I don't see that name. Am I missing something?

It would seem as though the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing. Michigan seems to make things confusing in the frequently asked questions.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/qu...us_69674_7.pdf

it says

My company is based in another state and we plan on touring locations in Michigan. Are
    there any permits, filings or licenses required?
    Michigan is proud to provide open borders to Interstate Motor Carriers of Passengers with no
    filings required. Carriers must have a valid federal interstate operating authority while
    performing interstate movement in Michigan.

It would seem that if you are a usdot carrier you can bring passengers to Michigan without any permits . I think that if you really check into dot regulations most deal with buses and trucks carrying cargo. Limousines operating under 15 passengers are exempt from a lot of the regulations

To answer Wades question, Childers is an Ohio based Limousine company that brings a lot of Clients up to events here in Michigan i.e. concerts at the Palace, Hockey games at the Joe, Lions games (yes even Lions games) at Ford Field the same place SBXL will be played. Why is it different for this than just a plain old Lions Game?? Question Nick, what about the Windsor based Limo companies that come over here to the Palace are they illegal. Better yet, what about Michigan based Limo companies that go to Windsor, are these violations also??

Now lets take the example of "Joe one Car Limo Service" operating in the hills of Kentucky who has followed all of the local and Federal laws to opeate his company in his state and to operate interstate. He gets a load that wants to come to SBXL but has not kept up on all of what is happening here in Michigan. He pulls into Detroit and trys to unload his people near Ford Field, A motor carrier offical bust him for not having a mich. temp. licenses and tows his car. He has complied with all of the federal laws, I think he has good standing to sue some one. Didn't we just pass a law I beleive 2546 or what ever that addressed this issue?

As per Joe Yee's comment A limo is considered a passenger carrying CMV so I beleive the laws that apply to a Bus apply to a Limo. How about it Gunney.
    David E. Merrill

David you are missing the point completely.

Kentuck boy is ok when he brings people in. That is under USDOT regs. so long as he has a USDOT.

BUT and here is the big BUT!!

If you are the Kentucky boy and send your entire fleet to Michigan empty. Set up shop for a week whether it is a hotel or buddys house and book your limos however you do and start chartering local pickups YOU NEED TO PAY THE LOCAL FEES!!!!!!

Whether you do it through the state directly or through the single state license you still MUST.

johnlimos I think there is a direct link on the NLA's site. http://www.limo.org.
    Don't quote me on it though.

It would seem that if you are a usdot carrier you can bring passengers to Michigan without any permits . I think that if you really check into dot regulations most deal with buses and trucks carrying cargo. Limousines operating under 15 passengers are exempt from a lot of the regulations[/QUOTE]

Pay attention to the key words. "You can bring passengers (TO) without any additional permits.

Yes Nick I understand that but I think that is not what a lot of the Guys here are talking about. I am sure that Wade Randolph has no intention of bringing his fleet here from LA to set up shop but he may bring one of his clients up and spend a couple of days here with him. This is the Guys I am talking about.

Now if you contracted with Wade to use his Limos and his Employees to work for you then I can understand that he would need Michigan authority.

Now with Childress I can understand the USDOT authority but I was at the preview Friday night and hardly any of the local cars, including the 200" Excursion I was driving for the company I was doing contract labor for had them on the side. I think we need to get our own in compliance before we go after out of state Guys.
    David E. Merrill

Regulations aside, are there any operators who have gone to previous games,and was it worth the trip for an out of state company ? Did you get paid ,was it what you expected , would you do it again?? What if any were the problems you experienced?? Did you have to go thru hoops with local regulators?

http://www.sbxl.org/faq/

11. What will the economic impact of Super Bowl XL be on the metro Detroit region?

Super Bowl XL will pump upwards of $300 million into Michigan ’s economy.

12. How many visitors will come to Detroit for Super Bowl XL?

Over 100,000 visitors and 3,000 credential media – 400 of which are international – will descend upon Detroit during Super Bowl week.

http://www.sbxl.org/hostcommittee/

The Detroit SBXL Host Committee has a seven point plan, which reflects feedback from our local leaders to ensure the success of Super Bowl XL.

Seven Point Plan:

Foster Relationships for the NFL.
    Raise funds/measure success.
    Integrate community programs.
    Create and support special events.
    Advocate for services/development in the region.
    Promote metro Detroit as a destination.
    Deliver a positive guest experience.

$300 million into Michigan’s economy,Over 100,000 visitors and 3,000 credential media – 400 of which are international.Promote metro Detroit as a destination.
    Deliver a positive guest experience.

With expectations like this you may see dot regulators put on the sidelines and told NOT to upset the apple cart.Just think what the impact of a limo with some executives from a fortune top 50 company being stopped by dot regulators would be. Reguations of limos is going to be the last thing you are to see. There's too much at stake to worry about stopping limos that don't have a $50 sticker on them.Everthing is going to about the image of the city and having things run smoothly. Stopping limos doesn' fit that image.

I wouldn't count on the regulators being lax or asleep. I still recall the phone call I received from a small operator during the Super Bowl in Atlanta a few years ago. " Dean Dean HELP ME-THEY ARE AFTER ME " . ( The Atlanta Taxicab Bureau was chasing him and he was running ! ) Did you get the proper permits ? "NO" So I hid him & his limousine in the back of the Carey lot and told the attendant that he was just a poor devil. We sent a runner to get his permits and he was then legal. All this drama early one Saturday morning...
    Dean Schuler

So you can get the permits that fast its not a huge hassle?
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!