Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit Super Bowl

Ok so which is it? We're licenced by federal law and we have been inspected by the state of ohio for each vehicle. Is Michigan above federal law?

What if you had a client that wanted to take a trip 5 states away? Would you have to go get licensed in all 5 states? Do greyhound buses and etc go to all 48 states and pass license tests for each vehicle??

What does the Michigan test consist of in detail? How much does it cost? I might go get the tests done. Also what if you go get tests done for a few vehicles and not the whole fleet? How do you know how many vehicles will really be booked for a 1 or 2 day event?

Thank you all for your help.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Boy this could get real sticky. Where is the USDOT when you need them. It is know that if you both pick up and drop off in Michigan, (just like a Taix picking up and droping off in Detroit) you need Michigan Authority BUT if you pick up in Ohio, bring to Michigan wait and return to Ohio would not Federal law apply? How about it Dean.

The only problem is if you do not come to michigan for orentation, your clients will have to walk a mile and one half to get to Ford Field. Not good for public relations.
    David E. Merrill

Just make sure your manifest / trip ticket is accurate. Have your DOT and single state filing with you. Just because you have DOT doesn't mean you are done. You must also have a single state filing for nay state you do business in.

We have SSF in Ohio , Mich. Ind. Ill.

We have PUCO for Ohio and USDOT for the rest.

Are we having fun yet ?

The feds take over everything in 2007 , it should simplify this mess , but who knows.

This forum was just brought to my attention. We have a small limo service in sourthern ohio. But none of the limo companies around have DOT numbers on the side of their limos... Is this required? What type of limos need this? How do you get DOT numbers? How come we have never had a problem not having them?

Super Bowl always has it's own security requirements, which have been greatly increased since 9-11-2001.
    Originally posted by First Class Limos:
    Ok so which is it? We're licenced by federal law and we have been inspected by the state of ohio for each vehicle. Is Michigan above federal law?

What if you had a client that wanted to take a trip 5 states away? Would you have to go get licensed in all 5 states? Do greyhound buses and etc go to all 48 states and pass license tests for each vehicle??

What does the Michigan test consist of in detail? How much does it cost? I might go get the tests done. Also what if you go get tests done for a few vehicles and not the whole fleet? How do you know how many vehicles will really be booked for a 1 or 2 day event?

Thank you all for your help.
    Dean Schuler

"The feds take over everything in 2007 , it should simplify this mess "

Where did this info come from did you see it on the dot website ,tv, paper ?? Is the info reliable?

The info comes from the transportation consultant I use to keep me legal. He has POA over my records , registrations , filings , etc.

Dave, you need to delete the dot before www in the association link.

Looking @ the Airport Info link, appears the procedure is more about revenue generation than anything else. "Pre-registration shall include the purchase of coupons, decals and/or permits"
    "Coupons, decals, and permits will be stamped with a special mark that denotes use for the SuperBowl XL Event only. Coupons, decals, and/or permits purchased for the SuperBowl XL Event do not expire, and will be honored after the event. For this reason, refunds are NOT available.

But then Detroit is the armpit of the upper midwest so I guess they really need the money.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Wade this would be 100% accurate if you are taking clients from your home licensed area and taking them abroad.

For this case though you need to get a Michigan license in order to do the local Super Bowl work. You are in a sense setting up a temporary business in Michigan in order to take advantage of a lack of supply for the demand. The Federal law in this case does not apply.

Your comment suggests that you are not licensed in LA by LA since you have a USDOT. Is this correct? Probably not. You still need to be licensed by your local governemnt do you not.

Same thing here. The difference here is that you are setting up shop in a dfferent state for a short period of time. Just because it may only be a week does not mean you do not need authority.

For those that have a question about the costs.

The cost of the inspection will be $50.00 per vehicle. The license for each vehicle will cost $50.00 as well if you use a local company to work with and be added to their fleet. If you decide to file on your own the initial cost is $500.00 and once again $50.00 per vehicle for the license. With regard to what the inspection entails you can download the form on the MDOT site. An inspection should not take more than 20 minutes.

In other words if you bring 10 cars in, it will either cost you $1000.00 or $1500.00 depending on which option you take. The only additional requirement you have to show the state is the amount of insurance you carry. That's it!

Considerning a 120" is going for $1,980 per day for about 3-4 days. The cost associated with doing it legal is peanuts. You spent $1500 to make $59,400 over three days.

Why are we complaing again?

Wimpy the only thing as of right now on the glla site is airport procedures. It explains the special airport pickup procedures for Super Bowl since there will be a larger precence of chauffeured vehicles. DTW charges $3.00 per pickup at the airport as they do any other day. You pay in the form of a coupon which you pre purchase from DTW. They cost $75.00 for a book of 25 coupons. When you get to the staging lot land side operations will collect the coupon ask for your customers flight info and then give you a pager. When your pager goes off you will then receive a pass to go to the limo lot. Without the pass you will not be allowed access to the limo lot. After that pick up your client and leave.

Pre Registration? What does that mean? It means the following;

If you company is not in the computer sytem of DTW you need to pre register your company before they can sell you coupons. During registration they will confirm with the State of Michigan that you are legally licensed to do a business in the state which will allow your company to be processed and be allowed to buy the coupons.

What exactly does the inspection consist of?
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Nick: How does this scenario work. Lets say that Michael picks up a group of people in Ohio and brings them up to the Game, waits for them and then takes them back to Ohio does he need a Michigan Licenses for that? I know he needs to get security clearance to drop in the zone but the fact he is licensed in Ohio, His run orginiates and terminates in Ohio would not he be covered under USDOT?? I see Childress Limos out at the Palace all the time, do they have Michigan Authority? I even see a few at the Preview last night, Same deal I think. He is not augmenting a Michigan, company, he is transporting people from his own state.
    David E. Merrill

Originally posted by nkokas:
    Wade this would be 100% accurate if you are taking clients from your home licensed area and taking them abroad.

For this case though you need to get a Michigan license in order to do the local Super Bowl work. You are in a sense setting up a temporary business in Michigan in order to take advantage of a lack of supply for the demand. The Federal law in this case does not apply.

Your comment suggests that you are not licensed in LA by LA since you have a USDOT. Is this correct? Probably not. You still need to be licensed by your local governemnt do you not.

Same thing here. The difference here is that you are setting up shop in a dfferent state for a short period of time. Just because it may only be a week does not mean you do not need authority.
    My comment was meant to say that if an operator that has the proper Federal Highway lincense in another state can pickup or dropoff in your state if he as the correct Single State Filings for each state. And I am only licensed in Louisiana but I know how the Federal Highway license works. Michigan does participate in the Single State licensing system with other states and the DOT.

Originally posted by David Merrill:
    Nick: How does this scenario work. Lets say that Michael picks up a group of people in Ohio and brings them up to the Game, waits for them and then takes them back to Ohio does he need a Michigan Licenses for that? I know he needs to get security clearance to drop in the zone but the fact he is licensed in Ohio, His run orginiates and terminates in Ohio would not he be covered under USDOT?? I see Childress Limos out at the Palace all the time, do they have Michigan Authority? I even see a few at the Preview last night, Same deal I think. He is not augmenting a Michigan, company, he is transporting people from his own state.
    The answer is no he does not need a seperate Michigan license if he bought the Michigan Single State license. This is the purpose of the program.