Thread: How are you keeping your cars cool?

Default How are you keeping your cars cool?

How are you keeping your limos cool? During a wedding for example the customers are out of the car for at least an hour. The AC cant keep up on a 90 degree day with the sun beating down on the vehicle (no shade). Do you have any tips for keeping them cool?

I was wondering about a sun shade on both side windows in the drivers compartment along with the windsheild. If the shades are mirrorized, then maybe there wont be so much heat gain in the drivers area so the back may cool better. Any ideas what works?

Best thing you can do is communicate with your clients to let them know the issues with keeping the limo cool on a 90+ day, you may save yourself the headache of a complaint later that the AC did not work. I will say even after you explain the situation before it becomes an issue some people still have the naive assumption that they should be getting into a walk in freezer as we in the business know that is not the case.

I tell my chauffeurs to try and find a shady spot to park the limo while waiting, I do not allow them to idle as this does nothing except burn up the compressors. I have them ask to be notified 10-15min before departure and if need be take the limo for a ride down the street and back to help the system cool down.

After being in this business 13+ years I have to say that AC issues next to insurance are the biggest expenses. Especially with the Chrysler 300 limos, we replace those compressors once a year and that's no exaggeration. I finally was able to get a lifetime compressor thru Autozone after spending 600-800 per Denso or OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    Best thing you can do is communicate with your clients to let them know the issues with keeping the limo cool on a 90+ day, you may save yourself the headache of a complaint later that the AC did not work. I will say even after you explain the situation before it becomes an issue some people still have the naive assumption that they should be getting into a walk in freezer as we in the business know that is not the case.

I tell my chauffeurs to try and find a shady spot to park the limo while waiting, I do not allow them to idle as this does nothing except burn up the compressors. I have them ask to be notified 10-15min before departure and if need be take the limo for a ride down the street and back to help the system cool down.

After being in this business 13+ years I have to say that AC issues next to insurance are the biggest expenses. Especially with the Chrysler 300 limos, we replace those compressors once a year and that's no exaggeration. I finally was able to get a lifetime compressor thru Autozone after spending 600-800 per Denso or OEM.
    while back I ran a situation with Chrysler 300 AC, I got so tired of fixing Chrysler, I sold it. Lincolns are much less a problem. Now I can concentrate more on sales than repairs. When I have a time/hourly trip, I ask the drivers never turn off the stretch or ac for the entire time, this way if clients want anything at any given time, we are ready to serve. With Lincolns, this is fine... no problem...

When its over 90 degrees there's nothing you can do, its too hot for most AC's to handle simple as that. Most will complain but they just need to understand that its 90 degrees

this is a great question and theres no really way to deal with it, yah 90 is nothing try currently 112 in Sacramento!!!

Maybe it wont fit under the hood, but dual compressors and a condenser matched to the btu's of your evaporators should get your rear air as cold as the drivers area.
    Also PVC instead of flex tube will help on long duct runs, no temp loss. PVC flows 20% better too, especially in the curves.
    Keeping the car in the shade or indoors when in storage. it can get to 120 on a 90 degree day behind your seats if parked in the sun. Much easier to cool down a car from 90 than 120.
    Make sure you have good return air ducts.

Last, park into the sun or better facing away from the sun to keep direct sunlight out of the passenger compartment.