Thread: Question about reselling a fleet car (please help)

Default Question about reselling a fleet car (please help)

Hi guys, this is my first post. I'm thrilled to have found this forum. I'm fairly new in the limo business. I have a fleet of a couple of limos luxury cars and SUVs. But my question is regarding reselling a 7 series bmw that I have. It's getting up there in miles and I would like to get rid of this and buy another. I was planning on going into Carmax to get an appraisal. And someone told me that because my car is commercially registered I probably will not get the same value as what book or trade or what Carmax would typically offer had my car had the same year and miles but used as a personally registered car. Is this true? And if so I wonder why I can't find anything on the internet mentioning commercially used cars having less value just because they are used commercially. If this is the case, how much less should I expect from Carmax or even at a dealer for a trade in? Sorry if this is a dumb question. All your advice would be highly appreciated thanks

Carmax typically will not take commercial vehicles in on trade. You would likely get more money selling it private party anyway.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Just sell yourself, you'll get the most that way. Ebay is really the best way to go !

Had CarMax appraise a 2005 LTC Exec L that had ~ 40K/yr on it at the time. The car showed no dings, no signs of seat/door wear, had just been waxed & detailed. In short, it was retail-ready.

Ebay, etc was showing $7-12K at the time for comparable mileage L's. They came back after about 40 minutes of "inspection" with an offer of $4K. They want a gift. Based on my experience, they will give you less than wholesale so it can be carried to the dealer/insurance sales and they still make some $$.
    Last edited by wimpy01; May 26th, 2016 at 02:30 PM.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.