Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The time of the Stretch Limousine is dead...just saying don't invest in them!

In our market, believe the limos are suffering against party bus non-compliant a**hole owners & party-goers looking for cheapest per person cost.

There is a market, but clientele demographics are changing.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy01 View Post
    In our market, believe the limos are suffering against party bus non-compliant a**hole owners & party-goers looking for cheapest per person cost.

There is a market, but clientele demographics are changing.
    Define noncompliant Wimpy. Under DOT, Party Buses are technically "chartered buses" and all the motor carriers need is to be registered with DOT if passenger capacity is 16 or better. Other than that, yep, cheapest cost per body is the way the industry went. Started with the bling SUVs and moved up to the bus market and instead of hauling 8 nasty ass drunks its double or more. . Personally, I am glad I don't deal with this shit .
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Gunny: Downtown Charlotte is 10 miles from the NC-SC line. We have a large number of 9+ pax (I believe 9 pax & up came under the purview of the FMCSA in 2010) vehicles that are picking up in SC that don't have any USDOT authorization.

Some of it could be ignorance, but I suspect it is more willful ignoring of the requirements. Given the $5 million vs $1.5 million liability insurance requirement @ 15 pax + driver & the $5M number hits every vehicle in your fleet @ +$500-1000/vehicle, it is very beneficial to ignore.

Enforcement is low priority given under-funding & staffing of state motor carrier LEOs, who have the primary responsibility.

1 guy had run 7+ party buses without getting compliant, DOT finally busted him & he's unauthorized to carry passengers (as of today), but you still see the vehicles running.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy01 View Post
    Gunny: Downtown Charlotte is 10 miles from the NC-SC line. We have a large number of 9+ pax (I believe 9 pax & up came under the purview of the FMCSA in 2010) vehicles that are picking up in SC that don't have any USDOT authorization.

Some of it could be ignorance, but I suspect it is more willful ignoring of the requirements. Given the $5 million vs $1.5 million liability insurance requirement @ 15 pax + driver & the $5M number hits every vehicle in your fleet @ +$500-1000/vehicle, it is very beneficial to ignore.

Enforcement is low priority given under-funding & staffing of state motor carrier LEOs, who have the primary responsibility.

1 guy had run 7+ party buses without getting compliant, DOT finally busted him & he's unauthorized to carry passengers (as of today), but you still see the vehicles running.
    If running interstate DOT authority is required regardless. If done then locals have zero authority to regulate as such is preempted to the feds. If not compliant then FDOT is the responsible enforcement arm I would believe.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

We have completely changed our marketing to focus more on our party buses because of the declining demand for limos in our area. We are a family run business and there is a lot of discussion about this very topic among the two generations...and of course uber gets mentioned a lot too.

Default Same problem here

I think i'm having the same sales related issue, I recently expanded my fleet to include party buses and a hummer limo. I think people right now are targeting "bigger and better," but pricing has definitely been a challenge too, the only way I keep sales are price matching competitors. Cheaper is the way to go

Yea unfortunately the rates for party buses have fallen drastically because of all the supply being much higher than demand.

they slash prices with their old beat up cheap Party bus conversions.. we had many clients telling us about the horrible experiences they had with other companies

Thats actually the best part- clients have these horrible experiences and they use some one that has new vehicles with great service all around a great experience and you have a new client for life. Sorry stretches may work in certain regions but the newer generation is executive style party bus vehicles. All the new compliant companies will fade with new ones lurking but thats just the way it is, its the clients fault if they are looking for a deal and the cheapest price, don't call us haha, this works well for us. Everyone knows the saying "You Get What You Pay For" haha. Nordstrom or Walmart....
    A caller calls and says I need your best price and deal... here is the Walmart shopper...A client calls and asks about your vehicles you give a price and they book. We sell quality, not quantity, even over the phone we do not sell a vehicle, we sell an experience and its about the relationship not the quick buck chuck mentality- I understand people price shop, ok, Also our market is totally different than a lot of everyone on this blog, so yah its fun to hear everyones response, thanks for continuing to share.

I always invite my potential customers to the facility to see, touch and experience the vehicles in the garage before they make their decision. Often times, that's what ends up securing the reservation.
    Ryan Lord
    Signature Limousine Company
    New Bedford, MA
    SignatureLimo@comcast.net
    www.signaturelimocompany.com