Thread: Starting up a Party Bus in DC area

Default Starting up a Party Bus in DC area

Hello,

I was browsing this site and saw that there are people here that gives pretty good and helpful advice. Well now I'm coming to you guys asking for some advice as well. I'm interested in starting a Party Bus business in the DC area and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the regulations and things like that pertain to this area? I have a CDL and I also have a 28 passenger vehicle that I'm pretty interested in purchasing as well.

Some details of Vehicle I'm interested in:

2003 Ford E 550 28 Passengers
    7.3L Diesel
    93,000 Miles
    $64,900

Wondering if this seems like a decent price on a vehicle as such and what's the typical longevity of these types of buses?

Any information will be very helpful and very useful. I appreciate constructive criticism as well, so don't worry Thanks for the help in advance.

A good way to start is to do a research and look at your competition, what type of vehicles they have, prices, advertising ect.

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to study the market and trends here and seems a pretty lucrative thing here if done correctly

Quote Originally Posted by kmack24 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have been trying to study the market and trends here and seems a pretty lucrative thing here if done correctly
    I would not recommend paying 65k for a bus that's almost 15 years old. Insurance companies don't like to see older vehicles and neither do customers. Not to mention parts are harder to find and maintenance is usually worse. As far as the market DC is great. Virginia and Baltimore are extremely close and there is more business than you will be able to handle with one vehicle if you have decent marketing.

Way to expensive, do your research do your research!

Look at whether or not you can get insurance. Lots of party bus companies are having to close their doors and limo services with limo buses are having to sell of their limo buses because they are unable to get insurance. There have been a lot of very large bodily injury claims over the last few years that has made the insurance industry very weary of insuring limo and party buses.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

ok thanks for the info everyone. getting insurance doesn't seem to be a problem as I have found a company that will do it. Also thanks for the info on the bus. I will continue to do some research on it. Do you know of a good place to start to look for one or is it better to just buy a bus and basically convert it myself?

Quote Originally Posted by kmack24 View Post
    ok thanks for the info everyone. getting insurance doesn't seem to be a problem as I have found a company that will do it. Also thanks for the info on the bus. I will continue to do some research on it. Do you know of a good place to start to look for one or is it better to just buy a bus and basically convert it myself?
    ebay or craigslist for used buses

I've driven those older Ford diesel busses and they are loud, obnoxious and smell like diesel. I like the gas engines much better.

I would take that 65 grand and do something else with it. MD is a tough state to get started in. The competition in MD, VA, DC is stiff. Unless you have endless resources do something else.
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Take a look at some of the LGE buses. Dan Rocky over there seems to build a great vehicle.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

we have recently purchased 2007 Ford F 550 Diesel 89k miles 28 Passengers Shuttle bus for $17000, we did a full party bus conversion on it for $15000. $64k for the a 2003 is way overpriced ..