Thread: Cleveland Startup Questions

Default Cleveland Startup Questions

Hi All,

I am exploring the possibility of starting a limousine service on the south side of Cleveland. I want to make sure I'm doing everything by the book with insurance and licensing and I'm learning very quickly through my research that these requirements are not always clear.

From what I can see online you need to have a CDL-B with passenger for anything 16 passengers or more including driver. I'm sure there must be some requirement above your tpyical drivers license for smaller vehicles but I can't seem to get a good answer. I will most likely just be starting out with a sedan and smaller limousine.

Also, I've read through another post with new Ohio insurance laws. It looks like you now need to have 1.5 million for a vehicle of any size. Is this correct? Also, PUCO and USDOT numbers are required as well, correct?

Please forgive my ignorance! I'm trying to be smart about this and gather all of the facts before making the leap. Any additional advice, tips, etc are always greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    RJ Thornton

If Johnny Manziel applies for a job, send him on his way, you don't need to start with a liability.
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Whoever regulates limos and such in Ohio should be able to give you all the info you need. Probably online.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Call the Ohio DOT. There are also DOT consultants available that can help you as well, but I don't know any in Ohio. Ask your insurance company, they should know of some to refer you to.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mill Limousine View Post
    Call the Ohio DOT. There are also DOT consultants available that can help you as well, but I don't know any in Ohio. Ask your insurance company, they should know of some to refer you to.
    Thanks! I was able to find some helpful info on PUCO's website as far as confirmation that I don't need a CDL, but I still can't believe that you can operate with just a typical drivers license.

I tried my personal insurer and they do not do commercial. Anyone have recommendations on good places to get a quote from? I'm finding several companies that claim to be "limousine experts"

Does Ohio have a limo association? Might be a good place to start
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Wire View Post
    Does Ohio have a limo association? Might be a good place to start
    I have not been able to find one, unless I'm missing it. I'm currently reading the Wheels of Gold book and it keeps mentioning to talk to the local association. I'd love to...if I could find one

For vehicles under 26K lbs GVW, and 15 passenger (including driver) and under, no special license is required. However, my understanding is that you do need to have a USDOT medical card. Above the aforementioned criteria requires a CDL with passenger endorsement.

I do agree with consulting your state's unique DOT rules of permitting and regulations. They do vary from state to state.

Best of luck!
    Ryan
    Ryan Lord
    Signature Limousine Company
    New Bedford, MA
    SignatureLimo@comcast.net
    www.signaturelimocompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Signaturelimo View Post
    For vehicles under 26K lbs GVW, and 15 passenger (including driver) and under, no special license is required. However, my understanding is that you do need to have a USDOT medical card. Above the aforementioned criteria requires a CDL with passenger endorsement.

I do agree with consulting your state's unique DOT rules of permitting and regulations. They do vary from state to state.

Best of luck!
    Ryan
    Thanks Ryan! I really appreciate everyone pointing me in the right direction. I want to make sure I'm legal and avoid making a fool of myself whenever possible!

Hugh Tamony is my insurance agent 561-683-1220. There is no single government office in Ohio that will have all of the info you need for a start up, you have to dig to find it all. There are some operators on here in Ohio who will be happy to help.
    Andy
    937-620-9120
    937-524-5899 (office)
    Dunlap Limousine, LLC
    http://www.dunlaplimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Party Bus Andy View Post
    Hugh Tamony is my insurance agent 561-683-1220. There is no single government office in Ohio that will have all of the info you need for a start up, you have to dig to find it all. There are some operators on here in Ohio who will be happy to help.
    Thanks Andy! I appreciate it. I will start with PUCO and DOT and go from there on getting legal.

If there is anyone local to me that would be willing to let me pick their brain it would be greatly appreciated!