Thread: What are the TOP 5 problems/issues you are dealing with in your business?

Default What are the TOP 5 problems/issues you are dealing with in your business?

Hello fellow business owners and industry leaders,

Given your direct knowledge and experience in the transportation industry I would like to ask you a question.

What are the Top 5 problems/issues you are dealing with in your business?

I am compiling this information in order to create a poll and an article in the near future and would love your feedback. You do not have to limit your answers to only five but that is just a starting point for which I will begin my data with; if you have more problems or issues then please state them accordingly in descending order from 1st being the biggest, worst, or most common problem and so on from there.

This can be your time to vent or explain what issues you've been dealing with and hopefully in this Thread as well as in my research and article we can come up with some solutions to many of your problems. I look forward to reading and seeing the variety of answers.

I thank you in advance for your time and all of your wisdom which so many of you kindly share on a daily basis! May you all have a healthy, happy and successful 2016!

top 5.png

Florida
    #1 - Inability to provide intrastate transportation without obtaining multiple permits and licenses from every municipality, venue and transport hub demanding such.
    #2 - Large operations and associations including the TLPA and NLA using their influence with regulators to raise operating costs upon small businesses in an attempt to drive them out of business.
    #3 - Mob influenced cab companies using payola taking politicians to restrict market entry.
    #4 - Large limo and taxi influence to set minimum rates limos must charge to create economic zone around air and cruise ports.
    #5 - Most important, industry pussies too afraid to tackle the real demons and instead act as sheep worrying, bitching, pissing and moaning over the likes of TNCs .
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Dave Shaw is no longer on the board of the NLA. As far as I know, he is no longer in the limo business as we start the new year. As for the top issues for me:
    #1 - Cost of insurance
    #2 - Attracting talented team members
    #3 - Fighting TNC's eroding our nightlife business

Oops, that's all I have. Three major issues.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Dave Shaw is no longer on the board of the NLA. As far as I know, he is no longer in the limo business as we start the new year. .
    He was when he and the rest of the NLA clowns fought against Florida state regulation. But to keep it current I will modify my signature.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

I will second Jim's list. My insurance is quadruple what it was when I started. Not because of any losses (I do not have any) but because of insurance going up industry wide. That really eats into your profits. Talent will make or break your company. It is much harder to find because the best employees are people who are passionate about their job. Transportation industries are more likely to have people who fell into the business one way or another so it's much more difficult to recruit people who are passionate about the job and make great employees.

One other problem (this happens more so in the party bus business than anything else) is bad clients. It's a fair estimate to say that 5% of you clients can cause 95% of your problems. One way to minimize this is to not be the cheapest company in the area. The people who pay more money tend to be better clients. I was once the cheapest company in my area and learned the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Dave Shaw is no longer on the board of the NLA. As far as I know, he is no longer in the limo business as we start the new year. As for the top issues for me:
    #1 - Cost of insurance
    #2 - Attracting talented team members
    #3 - Fighting TNC's eroding our nightlife business

Oops, that's all I have. Three major issues.
    Jim,

I think Dave Shaw is with Network Limousine now.
    James Haiskey

www.tclimo.com

I knew he would resurface somewhere but he had to relinquish his seat on the board. I think it was kept on the down low.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Davd Shaw has been with Network Limousines for months now. I know he was when we were in Miami and I'm sure it was several more months before that. It looks like it was reported in the April 2015 issue of LCT.
    Last edited by BLVD Limo; January 9th, 2016 at 08:42 PM.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Blog Entries

Our one primary problem is greater than everything else.

Qualified employees with CDL, Passenger Endorsement.

We found that the traditional CDL/P may be qualified to operate the vehicle, however, not qualified to represent our company.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    Our one primary problem is greater than everything else.

Qualified employees with CDL, Passenger Endorsement.

We found that the traditional CDL/P may be qualified to operate the vehicle, however, not qualified to represent our company.
    I recently tested out some facebook advertising. You can post an ad for Chauffeurs on your facebook and pay to show the post to a targeted range of people you select. It's very specific so pick the cities you want to advertise to and have the ad only show to people with "Bus driver" or "chauffeur" in their job title. I was able to hire 4 or 5 drivers from $150 worth the advertising doing this.

1. Finding good staff.
    2. Insurance. It seems to be a hard market and I know of several that are having to get out because they can't get coverage.
    3. Vehicle replacement choices. It seems like there are issues with all the Ford and GM products from failing fuel pumps to windshields cracking for no reason to technology issues to maintenance. Chrysler 300s don't have the same "clout" as the Lincoln and Cadillac products do when you talk about luxury, so they won't fly for my clients. I have thought about looking at some European vehicles, but I really don't want to get away from the American brands even if they are made outside of the U.S.
    4. Credit card fraud and cyber security.
    5. Technology resulting in distracted drivers. Cell phones, infotainment systems in vehicles, etc. concern me as drivers seem to spend more time fiddling with stuff in the car than they do driving the car. These cars are becoming so complex to operate today and the clusters are now LCD screens, people don't realize they don't have their headlights on and can't seem to find the switch to turn them on once they realize they aren't on.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service