Thread: 2005 Lincoln Stretch 120", need alternative to factory rear end

Hybrid View

Default 2005 Lincoln Stretch 120", need alternative to factory rear end

My 2005 stretch limo's rear end was re-built 30k ago, now its making terrible noise again, and when we opened it, it seems it needs everything.

I have heard people using alternative rear ends like Ford F-150 or something but never confirmed it. Has anyone used anything else, other vehicle's rear end as a substitute?

A used rear end is no where to be found. If I buy new parts, its costing nearly 3k with labor. I am trying to fix this for once so I can put another 30K on it before selling it.

Please let me know if you have any ideas...

~Dee

You need to find another company to do the rebuild. These rear-ends typically last several hundred K. The outer bearings are the only thing I've seen go bad in our ~200+ miles of experience. If the differential gears are still OK, you can have the axle shaft bearing surfaces repaired by a company that redoes crankshafts. You do need to drain & replace the synthetic rear end oil every 60K.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy01 View Post
    You need to find another company to do the rebuild. These rear-ends typically last several hundred K. The outer bearings are the only thing I've seen go bad in our ~200+ miles of experience. If the differential gears are still OK, you can have the axle shaft bearing surfaces repaired by a company that redoes crankshafts. You do need to drain & replace the synthetic rear end oil every 60K.
    At this moment, all the gears, and axle shafts are worn out, may be the bearings are okay, but that's the least of the cost. I was wondering if there is a way I can purchase a used Ford F-150 rear end and use it here; but I am not sure if this would fit, or if this has been done before.

TO redo the rear end at this point is too costly.

Like Wimpy said, you need a second opinion. Sounds like the guy that did the rebuild 30k miles ago screwed you. How many miles are on the vehicle?

Yes, I needed the right guy to rebuild this earlier, and I was able to find who could assure the newly built rear end would go easily 100k... Anyways, I had short time to fix this, and I found out that 2006 town car (regular) has heavy duty, and so does 2006 and above Crown Vic has heavy duty rear end. We put a used one that has low mileage in; we did have to change the calipers, rotors and brakes to accommodate this. So far after 200 miles on it, its okay. I will know more afterr 10-20k.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    A used rear end is no where to be found.
    I must have seen a half dozen in the pick&pull junkyards in the DC Baltimore area. $100 for the whole axle. Might be worth a drive down.

We took out a low mileage from 2006 Crown Vic, and put it in our stretch. We had to change the brakes, calipers, and rotors, but it fits well. It cost us less than $900 to do all and all is good now.

How has that rear end held up for you so far ? How did you find out about the 06 and above being better ?
    I'm in the same situation have 03 120" with a regular rear end in it not a limo rear end .. any help is appreciated

I need a new rear end any suggestions ?
    Last edited by LimoRich55; January 19th, 2016 at 09:47 AM.

Blog Entries

Ford Econoline
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

Would a Ford econoline rear end really work ?

I had the same problem with my 2006. I had a local garage rebuild the rear end with racing gears. They are a lot harder and supposed to last a lot longer. That was in July '15. So far so good. I also tried to find a used reared but at the end of the day, it was still used and could already have 300k miles on it. I found this rebuild was about the same price.

So far so good; its holding well. I checked the oil last week and its a little dirty only. I think I will change rear end oil in 3-5 k or sooner. Somehow, regular rear end (non limo ), are easier to deal with. Their parts, and everything is also cheaper and quicker to deal with. They sure will not last as long, but if I get 30-40k out of this thing, I am okay.