Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Town car sunroof water loss issue

Default Town car sunroof water loss issue

Hi everyone.

As said in my presentation thread, I have a big problem on my lincoln town car limo, with sunroof.

Unfortunately, the previous owner was a kind of animal and he did not cure very much his limo.
    Now, we repaired many parts (Climate pump-pipes; weatherstrips, windows chrome trims, headlights, ecc) but we have this big problem with sunroof and we don't know how to proceed.

The problem is that sunroof has water loss to the interior of the car.....
    We tested each of the 4 drain pipes that takes water to the ground and it seems they are ok, but when we made a test by flooding the closed sunroof, we see water loss.

First step we see the wet skytop manual panel in the back part, and if we carry on with flooding, it increases and overflow into the car.

Probably we have a stagnation problem in the back of sunroof structure....I don't know....but surely we have a sealing problem too, because It seems some seals are missing.

Can someone of you gentlemen take some pictures of your town-car sunroof where I can see well seals and weatherstrips, from the top-top side, and from the same height of the glass (with open glass) to the sides, so I can understand what is missing ?

And I also cannot find any seller of these seals.....if they exist
    I will be forever grateful to everyone can help us

here some picture for better understanding of the situation....

IMG-20150809-WA0003.jpgIMG-20150810-WA0000.jpgIMG-20150810-WA0001.jpg

Default Caulk it permanently closed

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteve View Post
    Hi everyone.

As said in my presentation thread, I have a big problem on my lincoln town car limo, with sunroof.

Unfortunately, the previous owner was a kind of animal and he did not cure very much his limo.
    Now, we repaired many parts (Climate pump-pipes; weatherstrips, windows chrome trims, headlights, ecc) but we have this big problem with sunroof and we don't know how to proceed.

The problem is that sunroof has water loss to the interior of the car.....
    We tested each of the 4 drain pipes that takes water to the ground and it seems they are ok, but when we made a test by flooding the closed sunroof, we see water loss.

First step we see the wet skytop manual panel in the back part, and if we carry on with flooding, it increases and overflow into the car
    Probably we have a stagnation problem in the back of sunroof structure....I don't know....but surely we have a sealing problem too, because It seems some seals are missing.

Can someone of you gentlemen take some pictures of your town-car sunroof where I can see well seals and weatherstrips, from the top-top side, and from the same height of the glass (with open glass) to the sides, so I can understand what is missing ?

And I also cannot find any seller of these seals.....if they exist
    I will be forever grateful to everyone can help us
    Sunroofs are a pain in the ass and a liability on a commercial limo! I would bolt it permanently closed, then use clear silicone to permanently seal the sunroof. No more
    Water problems and no more liability having someone hanging out the sunroof, throwing things out, or someone opening it improperly while the car is in motion and the sunroof flying off.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

Yes We spoke about this idea, but we think to remove the opening sunroof it's like a step back, because it's really nice and could be a cool accessory to the already cool car.

OF course trying to repair it could be a pain and a money loss .......

For the moment our idea is to try the repair way........we will see !!! Maybe someone can help us understanding what is missing and where we can find seals or weatherstrips for this device....

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but honestly, I'm with Dan on this one. Sunroof's are nothing but a liability. Sure, they are cool as a selling point, but the car will go out just fine without it opening. Just tell them it's a stationary glass roof in it. There were so many times people would be drunk and hanging out the roof, and if I had the divider up, I had no way of knowing it until it was too late. It CAN turn into a very dangerous situation. I was so glad when they quit putting them in the stretches. No more worries. Luckily, I never had one leaking, so sorry

I would like to hear from other operators that have a different opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, so please give the pros that outweigh the cons.
    Jerry Thomas

You know what, we also think that drunk passengers could throw bottles or other items also from rear door windows.........they don't need to have an opening sunroof for that...
    So that's another reason why we would keep it openable; it's another nice game to play with haha
    But we keep into consideration the definitive sealing......as the last option.

PTLimoNC it seems you have a sunroof, can't you please send me some pics of its trims and weatherstrips, so i can have an idea on what is missing with mine ??

Do someone of you know where I can find these weatherstrips ??? I am looking for them in the whole internet (english-italian-german and more) but I am not able to find any supplier for that..... it seems nobody has them.......

Look up www.donmar.com. They sell sunroofs and accessories.

Sorry, I don't have any pics to send you. I sold my business last year
    Jerry Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteve View Post
    You know what, we also think that drunk passengers could throw bottles or other items also from rear door windows.........they don't need to have an opening sunroof for that...
    Throwing ITEMS out the roof? I'm talking about BODIES going out the roof. Oh well, good luck. Certainly not trying to get in a pissing match with you, just trying to share some knowledge that I gained during the 11 years I was in the biz

Let's revisit this thread in about a year and see if your opinion on the roof has changed
    Jerry Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by PTLimoNC View Post
    Throwing ITEMS out the roof? I'm talking about BODIES going out the roof. Oh well, good luck. Certainly not trying to get in a pissing match with you, just trying to share some knowledge that I gained during the 11 years I was in the biz

Let's revisit this thread in about a year and see if your opinion on the roof has changed

No, no, You misunderstand me, I appreciate your advice. Just for the moment we would prefere not seal the sunroof but keeping it as it is, because we want to make service for weddings for the most, and we think we wouldn't have problems with sunroof for that kind of service.

Are you certain the drain tubes aren't even partially clogged? Are they dried and cracked where they meet the moonroof housing corners? Are the side drain channels clear of debris and is the entire moonroof box (housing) clear of debris?

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    Are you certain the drain tubes aren't even partially clogged? Are they dried and cracked where they meet the moonroof housing corners? Are the side drain channels clear of debris and is the entire moonroof box (housing) clear of debris?

Yeah, drain tubes are clean, we tested it by spraying water inside (from the top of course) with closed roof and we see a correct flow, the problem is when the water becomes higher, like it would be during a rainstorm.

IT seems like we have a little stagnation of the water in the back part of the roof structure (the part where the roof is contained when is opened), and before a complete drain it comes out and soaks the skytop manual cover..... then if we carry on with water spraying, it comes inside car....

My idea is that some weatherstrips are missing..... if not it would not come inside or soak the manual panel

Perhaps find diagrams of the factory sunroof assembly and see if it looks like yours. My sunroof is the same one that came in the Town Car in sedan form from the factory. Yours may be too. A diagram may confirm your suspicion of a missing gasket or seal and provide a part number you can use during a search attempt.

Here's an example. I just randomly picked 2001: https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...6-%20Liter-GAS

I'll try and see if any diagrams exist for a 1997.

Sunroofdoctor.com lists weatherstrip that adheres around the perimeter of the glass. Does yours have that piece fully intact and pliable?
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; August 26th, 2015 at 04:42 PM.

Your picture of the roof seems to portray that your glass isn't fully closed and pressed upward against the surrounding roof metal. Your moonroof should close but then lift up adding a slight lift to the roof metal from the upward push. Does yours do that? Are there any adjustable mounting points?
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; August 26th, 2015 at 05:01 PM.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Just a couple sidenotes: we always told our chauffeurs to "lock out" the moonroofs...too many liabilities. Also, it doesn't sound like it pertains to your problem, but since drains were brought up...one thing that took me a while to figure out was our floor on one of our stretches would be wet after almost every run...figured out is was leaking from AROUND the drains in the refreshment coolers. I siliconed all around the drains and never had a problem after that. Sorry I couldn't be more help on your particular problem!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com