Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Why Uber Will Win

  1. #1
    Super Moderator gunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    5,325

    Default Why Uber Will Win

    It's not what the NLA wants. Not what the TLPA wants. Not what the whining taxiheads want. It's what the PEOPLE wants which will win in the end and the PEOPLE want their UBER!!!

    "By Joe Henderson | Tribune Staff Joe Henderson on Google+
    Published: August 22, 2015
    By now, it should be clear that nouveau taxi operators Uber and Lyft have no intention of playing by the Public Transportation Commission’s rules. They makes their own rules in the 300 or so cities and 59 countries where they operate, and people like them.

    They don’t back down.

    They don’t play nice.

    The PTC responded by fining drivers from those ride services. Uber said it would pay those fines, and with a company valuation at $40 billion — billion, with a “b” — it can afford to.

    So it seemed pointless when PTC chairman and Hillsborough County Commissioner Victor Crist said he has a plan to make the companies street legal. All they have to do is everything they have thus far refused to do: have drivers submit to extensive background checks that include fingerprinting, get their cars inspected every year, and buy liability insurance for themselves and their passengers.

    What’s the point in dressing up an old idea and calling it new?

    I have a better plan.

    Surrender.

    It’s not personal. People just like Uber better than traditional cabs.

    Just the other day, the Palm Beach County Commission gave up trying to impose regulations on the companies after Uber threatened to stop service there. People had flooded the commissioners’ emails and telephone inboxes with protests. It’s the same story in many cities, where regulators fight Uber and Lyft while the public wishes they would stop. It has gotten so ugly here that Republican state Sen. Jeff Brandes of St. Petersburg promises to introduce legislation next year to abolish the PTC.

    It’s not an idle threat. The Legislature created the PTC in 1976, so it has the authority to shut it down.

    “The PTC is an antiquated regulatory body that every other county in Florida seems to be able to get along without,” Brandes told Tampa Tribune reporter Mike Salinero. “It’s like a diseased appendix; people can get along without it just fine.”

    I’ve talked with people from the PTC about this, including executive director Kyle Cockream — an able, focused and determined man. Cockream tells me and everyone else the issue with the ride companies is safety. Drivers for all forms of public transportation in Hillsborough, including taxis, have to pass those extensive background checks.

    Uber says it does its own background checks before it hires a driver, and that should be good enough.

    Playing along with the notion for a second that the issue is public safety, why would ride companies hire someone likely to commit a serious crime and possibly destroy the company’s reputation? They wouldn’t, of course.

    As a wise man once said, follow the money.

    I compared the rates between the Uber X service and the standard taxi rate. Uber has a $1 base fare and charges 95 cents per mile, with a $4 minimum. Cabs cost $2 for the first one-fifth of a mile and 45 cents for each fifth after that. That’s more than twice as much as an Uber ride. It’s a $10 minimum from the airport, and there are flat rates to downtown zones.

    Uber doesn’t take cash; a rider’s credit card is stored when they register for an account. You schedule a ride through your phone app, and customers can see who is on the way to pick them up. They can see how other customers have rated the driver, and if they don’t like him they can choose another.

    So what we have here is a classic free-market solution bumping up against government regulations designed to make the ride companies get along with the existing companies. They’re not trying to get along. They’re trying to win. It’s called competition.

    Why fight it?

    No, seriously ... why fight it?

    I don’t believe this is a fight Hillsborough County can win. The bigger question is why it would want to."

    http://www.tbo.com/list/columns-jhen...t-be-20150822/
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

  2. #2

    Default

    I have a question. Do uber drivers have to get a permit to operate at airports like LAX?

  3. #3
    Super Moderator gunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    I have a question. Do uber drivers have to get a permit to operate at airports like LAX?
    In Tampa they "have to" but they won't.

    That said. The only reason why airports gets away with charging VFH for permitting is because this is an industry built by cowards.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

  4. #4

    Default

    At LAX if they catch you operating without a permit they impound your car and it gets very expensive. Do they do that in Florida?

  5. #5
    Super Moderator gunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    At LAX if they catch you operating without a permit they impound your car and it gets very expensive. Do they do that in Florida?
    Not sure if airports impound in Florida. Know some will press trespass charges. If the charges stick????
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

  6. #6

    Default

    Gunny is 100% right. Great service! Great prices! Great technology!

    My question is, if Uber can pick up from the airports without a sticker, why(when) can I do it in my limo?

    Maybe I'll just put a big Uber sticker on my limo and scare the airport authority away.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

    Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Levine View Post
    Gunny is 100% right. Great service! Great prices! Great technology!

    My question is, if Uber can pick up from the airports without a sticker, why(when) can I do it in my limo?

    Maybe I'll just put a big Uber sticker on my limo and scare the airport authority away.
    Therein lies why the operators are against it.
    Raphael Sousa - Owner/Operator
    SF Limo Express
    "Where you need to be, on time, all the time"
    Owner-Operator
    direct: 415-990-6364

    Serving San Francisco Bay Area, Napa, Peninsula
    Wine country tours, Airport Transfer, Special occasions
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/sf-limo-express-san-francisco

  8. #8
    Super Moderator gunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFLX View Post
    Therein lies why the operators are against it.
    I look at it as Uber has the guts to do what the limo industry doesn't.

    Airports should be rewarding VFH for relieving parking issues that would be if not for VFH and not exacting a fee for providing a valuable service. Yet the limo industry allows exactly that to happen.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    I look at it as Uber has the guts to do what the limo industry doesn't.

    Airports should be rewarding VFH for relieving parking issues that would be if not for VFH and not exacting a fee for providing a valuable service. Yet the limo industry allows exactly that to happen.
    The wineries should be rewarding us for relieving parking, bringing customers, and keeping drunks off the road, but nooooooo.

    Hopefully Uber will shake things up enough to get rid of some excess regulation.

    I just used Uber again today and it was the fastest ever. I dropped my sedan off at the mechanic, went to the gym, was told my Cadillac would need to stay overnight. So I click on to Uber and they were there in less than a minute. I could see them coming from blocks away on the gps on their app. Super cheap and outstanding service. Cheap sedan services and taxi's are screwed. Ot reminds me of the buggy whip. People bought cars and stopped buying buggy whips.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

    Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFLX View Post
    Therein lies why the operators are against it.
    Whether it's fair or not, the reason they are against it is because they don't like competition. I have yet to see a truck driver complaining about uber. I have a hard time taking anyone serious when they are not honest about their intentions.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Levine View Post
    The wineries should be rewarding us for relieving parking, bringing customers, and keeping drunks off the road, but nooooooo.

    Hopefully Uber will shake things up enough to get rid of some excess regulation.

    I just used Uber again today and it was the fastest ever. I dropped my sedan off at the mechanic, went to the gym, was told my Cadillac would need to stay overnight. So I click on to Uber and they were there in less than a minute. I could see them coming from blocks away on the gps on their app. Super cheap and outstanding service. Cheap sedan services and taxi's are screwed. Ot reminds me of the buggy whip. People bought cars and stopped buying buggy whips.
    As a consumer who uses uber I couldn't agee more. I would not care if they charged more to become 100% on the same level as limo companies. You simply can't get better service or service even as close to being as good anywhere else.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator gunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Levine View Post
    The wineries should be rewarding us for relieving parking, bringing customers, and keeping drunks off the road, but nooooooo.

    .
    Unless it has changed, Metro NYC Airports don't require permits. As far as private concerns taking care of limo drivers, we were treated great by clubs and other venues we brought our passengers to (again NY). When I managed the nightclub on Long Island it was SOP that limo drivers had free access, free soft drinks and eats as the club had actual fast food snack bar.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    Unless it has changed, Metro NYC Airports don't require permits. As far as private concerns taking care of limo drivers, we were treated great by clubs and other venues we brought our passengers to (again NY). When I managed the nightclub on Long Island it was SOP that limo drivers had free access, free soft drinks and eats as the club had actual fast food snack bar.
    That's the way it is at some places still, but for whatever reason, the wineries got nasty. I'm pretty sure it was because of a few bad apples bringing in drunk and sometimes underage frat/sorority parties. A lost of limo buses with kegs on board would bring out of control drunks. But to blame the whole industry and punish us all is totally wrong. Especially in Temecula, where they have the most incompetent, idiots in charge of their wine makers association, which we are forced to join(or be banned from the wineries). Most of the wineries are awesome and appreciate the business and professionalism of the good transportation companies, but the association is corrupt(I'm talking about Peggy if anyone wants to know) and out of control.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

    Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

  14. #14
    Super Moderator gunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    5,325

    Default Commission Orders its' Inspectors to Stop Citing Uber/Lyft Drivers

    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •