Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Does tire brand matter?

  1. #1

    Default Does tire brand matter?

    I have 2010 DTS that has one Michelin and 3 Cooper tires, all with deep tread. Since I'll be selling it soon, would it make sense to replace the off brand Coopers with some Michelins? I can probably get good used ones around $40. Will the people that buy the car care if they have Michelins or Coopers as long as they plenty of tread? Or will they care if they aren't matching brands?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Posts
    2,668

    Default

    They should be matching tires but Cooper is a name brand.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

  3. #3

    Default

    Cooper is a perfectly acceptable brand but not a first tier make like Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone etc.

  4. #4

    Default

    Does anybody still use American tires? I have Yokohamas on my limo, Kumhos on my Navigator and Falkens on my pickup. They all work pretty good!

  5. #5

    Default A tire is a tire!

    Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    Does anybody still use American tires? I have Yokohamas on my limo, Kumhos on my Navigator and Falkens on my pickup. They all work pretty good!
    As long as the tire properly fits the vehicle and is made for that particular vehicle and has the proper load rating for the purposes it is being used, and is a quality built tire, doesn't matter who makes it. A tire is a tire!
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

  6. #6

    Default

    Yes but some cost less than others!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Posts
    2,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    Cooper is a perfectly acceptable brand but not a first tier make like Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone etc.
    I would have to disagree depending on the application.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Posts
    2,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celebritylimoky View Post
    As long as the tire properly fits the vehicle and is made for that particular vehicle and has the proper load rating for the purposes it is being used, and is a quality built tire, doesn't matter who makes it. A tire is a tire!
    I have had some tires that are all-season M+S tires that are horrible in snow. A tire is not just a tire.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    I have had some tires that are all-season M+S tires that are horrible in snow. A tire is not just a tire.
    Please reread my post: I said as long as it is a quality tire, a tire is a tire!
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

  10. #10

    Default

    Some tire experience over the last four years:

    Michelin - New MKS bought last April a year ago now has 56,000 miles on the original Michelins. Still good tread, showing very little wear.
    Pirelli P44 on two Town Cars. About 50k each with rotating and balance at Discount Tire.
    Pirelli P-Zero 275/35/20 on the rear of a BMW 750i - 12,000 miles and they were shot. Switched to Yokohama for the rears with a 40k wear warranty. Front tires 245/40/20 still good at 30k.
    Goodyears on a Merc S500 - noisy to the point that I got rid of them at 35k with some tread left.

    As always YMMV.
    John Harris
    Owner Operator
    Austin Ultimate Sedans

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Posts
    2,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celebritylimoky View Post
    Please reread my post: I said as long as it is a quality tire, a tire is a tire!
    It was a name brand tire.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    It was a name brand tire.
    Just because if is a name brand tire, still does not mean it's a quality tire.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

  13. #13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •