Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email Addresses

Default Email Addresses

I have played with this before and it came up again.

Currently we use Cruwinetours@gmail.com as our email because that was the first email we set up and its on our business cards. I have the option to create an @crulimos.com email and in the past we have opted out and kept using our gmail account.

Now that we in our second year of business and are trying to create relationships with affiliates outside of our area should we change?

Pros? Cons? Thoughts, feeling, emotions, concerns?
    Estera Semeniuc
    805-285-2805
    Crulimos.com

Change it! Your domain name separates you from amateurs. It should match your website. Such as, my website is www.limousinescene.com and everyone that works here has an email like Jim@limousinescene.com or Caitlin@limousinescene.com. Makes it easy for your clients.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

The professional look of the single email address can be debated, but as you grow it will be easier to be able to give employees a company email address which will also look professional and organized. Also, make sure to separate company from personal (in everything really) as someday you many want/have to sell your company and it will be easier to just hand over the email account(s) along with everything else (phone numbers, etc).
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Set up your domain email so it forwards to your gmail account or link it with your gmail so it goes to the gmail. Your host can do this.

Good point Brandon! I have all my business emails forward to my personal so I just have one place to check emails. Rich, are you wanting to debate me?????
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

If you do go the route of individual e-mails, make sure you keep on top of them if the employee leaves. I had a client who was upset that their e-mail "was not working and they lost a client". Here the client was directly sending e-mail to former.employee@theirdomain.com. They didn't bother with it after the person quit (granted it was a good terms leaving, so they probably didn't have on their minds "oh we better lock his e-mail down".) Email was working fine, no one was checking it anymore.

Another note that if you just forward address@yourdomain.com to yourname@gmail.com, keep in mind that unless you specifically set it up to do otherwise, anytime you reply, it will show it being from that gmail.com account.

There comes a lot of trust when you give employees their own "personal" e-mail account for your company. I have had a company that the owner got wind of an employee was trying to get clients to move off to another company that the employee's brother was starting. I went on the server and set it to forward a copy of all incoming e-mails for the employee to the owner. Employee soon fired.

Setting up the e-mail for your own domain is quite easy for most places, not sure about vistaprint (what the OP uses for their site), especially with the fact that Vista Print puts their own name on the domain as who owns it.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Blog Entries

Many big companies also have emails like accounting@yourlimo.com or affliate@yourlimo.com

As you get bigger this is a better route to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
    Ietting up the e-mail for your own domain is quite easy for most places, not sure about vistaprint (what the OP uses for their site), especially with the fact that Vista Print puts their own name on the domain as who owns it.
    The point of having your own domain in the email is to show companies that you are professional and are not relying on free email to save $50 per year. If you use a free domain/website from vistaprint I think it kind of defeats the purpose.

If you go the gmail route you can actually put your pop 3 email account on your gmail so when you reply it still comes from your domain.

Lot's of good stuff coming up here and good thoughts......I would like to further elaborate on how we handle emails in our company. Every employee has their own email box and we keep it simple such as Caitlin@limousinescene.com, Jeff@limousinescene.com etc. and then we have what we call a "community mailbox" and that address is Reservations@limousinescene.com. At the moment mail arrives in that box, it is forwarded to our entire dispatch team in their individual mailboxes. As soon as someone sees it and decides to handle it, they go to the reservations mailbox and respond from there to avoid revealing their personal company email. The email is then deleted so if anyone else tries to respond, they see it is no longer there.

We also have addresses like accounting@limousinescene.com, admin@limousinescene.com, dispatch@limousinescene.com that are set up to forward to the appropriate people for response.

When an employee leaves the company, we leave their mailbox active with a new password and a forward rule to reservations@limousinescene.com and an auto-response that indicates the employee is no longer employed here but the email has been received and forwarded to a staff member for response.

And.......you can set up a copy of all employee emails to forward to an admin person but there is no way I could read all their emails. However, I have the ability to go in to any employees emails and read them if I want to. By the way, we use GoDaddy.com as our server.

This is a copy from our policy manual that touches on emails and computers:

3.3 - COMPANY PROPERTY
    During the course of your employment, you will be responsible for company property to include, but not limited to: remote control devices, ice chests, two-way radios, fuel cards, credit cards, vehicles, telephones, computers, and software; company property is not for personal use under any circumstances. These devices are to be used strictly for company business and are not permitted off grounds unless such item is required to perform job duties. Company property must be used in the manner for which it was intended, and protected from theft or damage. Upon termination, employees are required to surrender any company property they possess. Company computers, internet and emails are a privileged resource, and must be used only to complete essential job-related functions. Employees are not permitted to download any “pirated” software, files or programs and must receive permission from a supervisor before installing any new software on a company computer. Files or programs stored on company computers may not be copied for personal use. All drivers are issued a remote control for opening the garage door; If you lose it, you will be charged a $25.00 replacement fee. Violations of these policies could result in disciplinary action.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

Good point on making it clear to employees that the e-mail account is technically property of the company and that they should not expect any right to privacy on the account (off topic, but also good with computers, employees should know that at any time the company may monitor activity, even if they are accessing personal accounts)
    This space intentionally left blank.

Thank you for all the great input. Now we need to figure out what our main email account will be. My partner doesnt like Reservations@crulimos.com or Info so I am playing with Transportation@crulimos.com or GCL@crulimos.com or theCru@Crulimos.com

Thoughts? This email will go on our chauffeurs cards and be given to the general public. We will have separate ones for myself and Alex.
    Estera Semeniuc
    805-285-2805
    Crulimos.com

Blog Entries

You want to keep it simple. Most companies do info for the website and use a different email for confirmations. That way you can see where they come from.
    Also Transportation is too long, gcl and the cru makes no sense.

I just got an affliate that sent me a trip sheet with noreply@xyzlimo.com. Really if the client wants to send a you a correction or more information about the locations he/she will have to go to your website and locate the correct email.

I have one email set up for events@a-alimo.com for a marketing campaign i am doing for a few meeting consultants. That is how I know that email came from that campaign.

Tell Alex that Reservations@xxx.com or Info@xxx.com is industry standard and so easy for clients to remember. They either need info or they need to make a reservation. That's what we do. Not sure what the aversion is to using either of those.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Limo Scene;119871]Tell Alex that Reservations@xxx.com or Info@xxx.com is industry standard and so easy for clients to remember. They either need info or they need to make a reservation. That's what we do. Not sure what the aversion is to using either of those.[/QUOT

I second that

[QUOTE=LIMOJESS;119872]
    Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Tell Alex that Reservations@xxx.com or Info@xxx.com is industry standard and so easy for clients to remember. They either need info or they need to make a reservation. That's what we do. Not sure what the aversion is to using either of those.[/QUOT

I second that
    I third that. It is the only way to go. Professional and easy to remember
    Jerry Thomas