Thread: how many miles are too many miles on a Lincoln?

Default how many miles are too many miles on a Lincoln?

I am looking to replace our 2000 Lincoln limousine with a slightly newer model. I found one in CA that seems very clean, but it is a 2004 with 233,000 miles on it. I would use it for personal use and probably put 500 miles a month on it.
    What is a mileage threshold you would not go over on a Lincoln? (Wife only wants a Lincoln)

Thanks

It all depends on the previous owners and how well the limo was cared for! In my experience with used limos it's extremely difficult to find them in decent condition. An 04 with 233k will most likely need extensive reconditioning to be a decent reliable limo. Every now and then you can get lucky and find one that has been well cared for however be prepared to pay a premium when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    It all depends on the previous owners and how well the limo was cared for! In my experience with used limos it's extremely difficult to find them in decent condition. An 04 with 233k will most likely need extensive reconditioning to be a decent reliable limo. Every now and then you can get lucky and find one that has been well cared for however be prepared to pay a premium when you do.
    Thanks for the quick response.

If you are talking about a sedan, the miles are not too high. It depends, if its been sitting around for a while, this car will have a lot of rust that's going to create a lot of maintenance visits. If this is a Stretch Limousine, I wouldn't buy with 233k miles on it. The rust, body work, rear end work, and a lot of other things just add on to too much headache and repairs. If this is a stretch limo, I would look a little newer model with 100k miles or less; life is better that way.

If its well maintained and all mechanically sound, it could be all good.

I've got mine with 320,000 miles listed on Ebay at item 151665609641 (yes shameless plug) but I've gone through it top to bottom before listing it. There is no free lunch. Either you pay a little more for one that is fully serviced up, or buy a cheaper one that may need another $5000 in repairs after you get it home.

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    I've got mine with 320,000 miles listed on Ebay at item 151665609641 (yes shameless plug) but I've gone through it top to bottom before listing it. There is no free lunch. Either you pay a little more for one that is fully serviced up, or buy a cheaper one that may need another $5000 in repairs after you get it home.
    Well said. This car seems to be in very good shape. I wouldn't mind putting another tranny or motor and keeping it for another 2-3 years. Body looks excellent.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

I know you were looking for something newer, but here is ours on Ebay if you wanted a look! 2000 LTC stretch on EBAY
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Default With Maintenance . .There is no such thing as too many miles

Mileage really depends upon how well the vehicle was maintained and by whom.. Fleet vehicles as well as independent operators can go either way with mileage. Truly more than anything what do your clients expect? Since there are no more "new town cars" what condition is the vehicle in . . and depending upon mileage (I had a 2000 on my fleet with 520,000 miles on it and 2004 with 410,000 miles) Both are black "L" series. When a vehicle goes over 200,000 miles you have to start replacing the things that no one thinks about, Alternators, Starters, Fuel injection cleanings, transmission servicing, window regulators, airbags, drive axles, all the bushings in the front end and possibly your entire A\C system. Fortunately the Town car, crown vic and the mercury marquis are all basically the same vehicle under the hood and basic running gear so there are a lot of options to find either replacement parts from junk yards and if the vehicle is pristine but the engine is blown, motors with good mileage can be found for 1000.00 dollars or less.
    So now that you know . . after 200,000 miles ignore the odometer. Have your mechanic do a thorough inspection of the vehicle and do a carfax. see if the owner has all the records, or none. Both my vehicles are regular titles (no accidents) which is another thing to watch for. I have been in this industry for 14 years. The nice thing about the town car is that 90 percent of the repairs and maintenance can be done by an amateur mechanic who can follow instructions with basic tools. With the proliferation of available junk yard parts, keeping them running well is much easier to do. The only major thing that can truly affect the longevity of a car is RUST. It will eat through everything, and things that are no supposed to go bad, cross members, strut towers and drive shaft supports to name a few i experienced. Basically use common sense... and a trusted mechanic...
    Douglas Hume

My 2007 100" stretch just rolled 180,000 miles. In the past year, I've:

-Replaced the Lighting Control Module
    -Alternator/pulley
    -Battery
    -Steering Pinion
    -Tires (normal)
    -Serpentine belt & tensioner
    -Intake manifold
    -Exhaust manifold
    -Down pipe
    -Catalytic converters
    -Spark plugs
    -Fuel filter
    -Differential gasket

Since it's a car that I intend to keep for at least 5 more years (it's cosmetically flawless), I'm ok to sink money into to keep it road worthy, safe, reliable and do everything I can to prevent a breakdown. I'd have no trouble sleeping at night if someone were to buy it off me right now. I know it's been kept and maintained to the best of my ability.

That's the type of vehicle that's good to buy used. For the other side of the operators who put minimal repairs and maintenance into it, that'll be the first thing you'll notice when inspecting before you buy.

VR,
    Ryan
    Ryan Lord
    Signature Limousine Company
    New Bedford, MA
    SignatureLimo@comcast.net
    www.signaturelimocompany.com

As with any vehicle, whether stretched or not, I don't believe miles are an issue, as long as the vehicle has been properly maintained. If the vehicle is going to be used in a rental fleet, I think it is best to have current body styles if possible.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM