Thread: Air Suspension light on!

Default Air Suspension light on!

I was driving my 120 home last night and noticed the Air Suspension light was on. The system was still inflated and up where it's supposed to be. When I got to the garage I turned the car off and then started it up again and the light was off. Still off this morning. Anyone know what would cause the light to come on if the system is still inflated? Thanks

Blog Entries

It is common for the sensor to become confused. As an example if you are backing down a driveway, it is very simple to confuse the sensor. If you were on level ground, then it may need additional attention.

It is also common to accidently hit the switch with luggage. In this case it will remain on (Air Sensor indicator) until you turn the switch back on.

The next step would be to pull the code (DTC) from the vehicle dynamics module which will require a scan tool.

Steve

My mechanic did that the other day and didn't come up with anything unusual. And the light hasn't come on since. But the compressor has been cycling on and off like about once a minute when the car is running. Didn't used to do that. Doesn't come on when the car is off. I thought it might be a leak back around the airbags but I turned the switch in the trunk off and let it sit several hours and it didn't go down at all. Another mechanic said the sensor on the rear axle might be going bad. Gonna try to get that checked.

Blog Entries

If you compressor is cycling, you definitely have a leak. The air bags will leak at different heights. It may not leak at lets say 6" off the ground, but it will leak at 8".

Well, I guess I will get out the soapy water spray bottle and see what I can find. Is it possible to have a leak when the car is running but not when it's off?

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

You may have a leak in the lines somewhere too. And yes, it can leak when the car is off. Also, compressor may be going out. Easy fix.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Metro Chicago - Serving Ohare and Midway Airports

What do the air bags look like on the vehicle? Dry-Rotted and cracked? What year is this vehicle? Did you have a heavy load in the vehicle recently? What was the outside temperature when this occurred?
    Hinsdale Limo Service

The car is a '99 but the air bags are newer and look fine. They aren't leaking. The car has sat all day with the switch in the trunk off and they don't go down a bit. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the compressor.

Metro Chicago - Serving Ohare and Midway Airports

Keep us posted on what you find. Hope is does not cost an arm and a leg. Most likely wont. Looks like you will have to soap test all the connections etc. Check all the electrical connections also for evidence of any corrosion.

52960_00061_2_3.jpg
    Hinsdale Limo Service

Raise the car up and run the compressor. I had a case that took me a while to figure out, but when the car was sitting, the bags would leak a bit - one was cracked on the bottom. But once the car settled a bit and the crack wasn't exposed, it maintained its pressure. So it wouldn't sink right down, but when you were driving, the compressor would run because the bag was leaking at operating height. If the compressor runs too long, it will shut itself off and trip the light. This isn't a code that is stored so when you restart the car, it isn't there. I would climb under the car and run the height sensor by hand to pump the bags all the way up, then do the soapy water test. Bet you have a leaky bag.
    Jon Hook

Stars Luxury Limousine Services - North Bay, Ontario
    www.Book-A-Van.com
    www.NorthBayBlackCarService.ca
    www.WeddingLimousineNorthBay.ca

2000 White 120" stretch AHA
    2003 Black Lincoln Town Car
    2008 Black Lincoln Town Car
    2011 Mercedes Sprinter

Default Salvage compressors

Salvage yards have airbag compressors which are good spare parts to have. $20-$30 vs $200+ from an aftermarket supplier. Suncore being 1 such.

I've had the same problem. It may take 3 days to leak down or it may do it overnight. I had replaced the cracked bags with Suncore aftermarkets, it was fine for several months but continues to be a concern. Haven't been able to isolate the problem. Planning on using the suggestions in this thread to fix it.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

Found out what the problem was. Finally found a mechanic that's familiar with air suspension. Most guys just give you a blank stare and go 'I dunno'. No leaks. Turns out the height sensor was going bad and sending bad info to the compressor. Easy fix but that stupid part cost $413. All better now.

Blog Entries

Ouch that price seems high.
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com