Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smart Phone cc processing w/drivers - questions.....

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    I've even had clients have the bus sit there more times than I care to remember because they were waiting on someone to show up with the rest of the money.
    It's that sentence there that makes me have all the money before we ever roll out. If you were to dispatch a chauffeur out and the people aren't there, you are stuck paying the chauffeur a minimum of 2.0 hours of pay out of your pocket since you have no money from the order.

This is why hotels always take your credit card and many of them charge your card the first night of your stay as the deposit so if you don't show up, they keep the money anyway.

Here is a copy & paste from my website:

Rates
    General Information

Deposit Information
    A $50.00 non-refundable deposit is required with reservation. Payment is required in full one week before the date of service and is refundable with 72 hours notice, except for initial deposit. Payment will not be refunded if the cancellation occurs less than 72 hours (1 week for school functions and ALL Saturday trips) before reservation date.

Minimum Rental Period
    We have a three hour minimum on Friday and Saturday for all reservations which begin after 6:00 pm. A minimum of one hour is available at all other times. We have a five hour minimum for proms and formals

Any gratuity bestowed upon your chauffeur is left strictly to your discretion.

Guaranteed Reservations Only with Deposit
    We will not guarantee a reservation without a cash deposit or a $50.00 deposit charged on a major credit card, or for customers who have an established charge account with us.

Minimum Billing Period
    The minimum billing period is one half hour.
    A grace period of 15 minutes is allowed for trips that exceed the pre-arranged time.
    Reservations must be paid in full not later than one week before the date of transportation, unless the customer has established a charge account with us.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

AMEXCHGBACK.jpg

I think I finally figured out how to post a photo. This is a screen shot from my cell phone of my stellar track record on handling disputes. I love to say, "I WIN"!!!!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Jim, I cannot believe you have THAT MANY chargebacks - we very rarely get them; I guess we are lucky. "knock on wood"
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

Ha.....Renee....I can see why you would think that. It is out of perspective. That is 2013 and 2014.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

Blog Entries

In negotiation with Katie over at chosen payments. I can see that she is very knowlegable.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    It's that sentence there that makes me have all the money before we ever roll out.
    Yeah but how many trips are you losing by having that policy? If you could book 50-100 more trips in a year by not requiring that and you are getting burned on maybe 5 trips in a year at the end of the day you make more money. To me it's always about how much more profit I end up with.

I'm sure you're in a completely different market than me and have more corporate work where I'm mostly retail so it probably doesn't effect you like it does me. I have a client for marketing in Bakersfield and it's one of my smallest cities for search volume for retail stuff.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

We did not have a single charge back from 2008-2014 (we sold the business in 2014). We ran EVERYTHING in the office, often a week after the trip was done. We required a $100 deposit for everything except for airport transfers (no deposit required for AP transfers). If the chauffeur obtained the CC info at the pickup, then the customer was required to sign, usually most clients gave the CC info when calling in the reservation. We always sent out a confirmation via email stating it was not considered confirmed unless they replied back stating they agree to the terms. Since 2008 we only had 3 transactions (each under $300) that the CC was declined and never were able to collect. I truly feel that how you run your business will have a direct effect in what kind of clients you get.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Senior Member Excalibur Limousine's Avatar

Jim,
    Our policies state that at the time of the signed confirmation, a 50% retainer is charged to their credit card. Balance of charter is charged 24 hours prior to the pickup. The only thing we are unable to charge in advance for is alcohol consumed. Alcohol is counted in and at the end of the charter is counted out and charged for at that time. To prevent the client from not being able to pay for the alcohol consumed due to problem with his/her credit card, we do a preauthorization for the entire amount carried which will guarantee our sale.
    If the client does not have or wish to use their credit card, they may also pay in cash. Again 50% at the time the charter is booked and balance 24 hours prior to pickup. If they wish the bar to be stocked, they may order the quantities they feel they require and again prepay for the entire amount. Any left over may be taken at the end or the charter or picked up the next business day.
    Excalibur Limousine Service
    'Delivering on Service'

Lincoln TC Exec L
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5 & ECB
    Ford Excursion 140" Stretch - Krystal & ECB
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28
    Ford F550 Limo Coach - Krystal KK33

Quote Originally Posted by Whglimo View Post
    Jim, I cannot believe you have THAT MANY chargebacks - we very rarely get them; I guess we are lucky. "knock on wood"
    It's really just a numbers thing. I believe Jim said he had 30 vehicles before on the forum. The more vehicles in your fleet the more trips you are doing. The more trips you do the more chargebacks you get.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    It's really just a numbers thing. I believe Jim said he had 30 vehicles before on the forum. The more vehicles in your fleet the more trips you are doing. The more trips you do the more chargebacks you get.
    Unless you don't get any.
    Rich Rottier

On April 1st we will turn 25 years old. I have kept every single chargeback notice and documentation in a single file. I just counted them up. There are a total of 8 in 25 years. That's an average of 1 every 3 years. From 1990 - 2010 we had zero. 2010 was 1. 2011 was 1. 2012 was 1. 2013 was 4 and you know I beat every one of them. We had one last year. Almost all of them involved fraud. And, in looking 2 of the 4 from 2013 were from the same client that had a deposit and a payment. In that case, an "uncle" allowed his nephew to use the card and the nephew used our services without permission and that caused the chargeback. However, the reason we won is we gave the guy a choice of reversing his chargeback or having the nephew arrested for fraud by the end of the day and it would have been considered grand theft. I'd say our average is fairly decent.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

We get all payment processing done before hand, and if the clients would extra time the driver would have to call the office and whoever is working will process the payment for the extra time and email the customer a receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    On April 1st we will turn 25 years old. I have kept every single chargeback notice and documentation in a single file. I just counted them up. There are a total of 8 in 25 years. That's an average of 1 every 3 years. From 1990 - 2010 we had zero. 2010 was 1. 2011 was 1. 2012 was 1. 2013 was 4 and you know I beat every one of them. We had one last year. Almost all of them involved fraud. And, in looking 2 of the 4 from 2013 were from the same client that had a deposit and a payment. In that case, an "uncle" allowed his nephew to use the card and the nephew used our services without permission and that caused the chargeback. However, the reason we won is we gave the guy a choice of reversing his chargeback or having the nephew arrested for fraud by the end of the day and it would have been considered grand theft. I'd say our average is fairly decent.
    That is pretty impressive considering the volume you produce Jim!
    Rich Rottier

Re: chargebacks

The EMV (chip card) liability shift began on October 1st, 2015. Visa, MC, AMEX and Discover have offered some relief, and any amounts under $25 do not fall under the new chargeback rule. Essentially, the new rule states that if a customer disputes a charge, it is now on the merchant to prove that that customer was actually there/conducted that purchase. The major chargeback issues are occurring in scenes such as restaurants and nightclubs, where it is hard to identify that person. As a payments expert, we have seen little chargebacks in the transportation industry and for those chargebacks that do exist, it is easy to prove that the customer was there with the receipt with signature (through the Square or Phoneswiper.org app, etc.), invoice, reservation, etc. Being that is generally easy to track those customers down, intentional chargebacks and fraud in this industry have been low. Happy to answer any additional questions on payments in general, credit card processing, EMV or anything else.