Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Phone cc processing w/drivers - questions.....

Default Smart Phone cc processing w/drivers - questions.....

OK, so any of you using say, a square type swiper with smart phones? If yes, do you provide the phones to your drivers? If you let them use their own phone with an app, how do you keep the back end/merchant info secure? In other words, does the app have a client version for the end user?

We were kicking some ideas around yesterday in the office and these came up - thought I'd toss it out here.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

We never have chauffeurs handle any financial transaction. That is all done in the office. There is an overtime rate on the trip sheet and the client simply initials for the additional charges and the dispatcher runs the card on file that was used to dispatch the trip. We won't even let a chauffeur discuss rates with a client.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

So you just accept the "no swipe" fees then? That isn't the reason we are thinking of switching; 90% of ours are done in the office too, through software. Then we email receipts. Once in a blue moon we get a chargeback, but not too often.

Jim, sometimes I want to sit and pick your brain - maybe I need to make a trip to California.
    Last edited by Whglimo; February 10th, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

We have credit card slips that are already filled out that the chauffeurs have to get signed and swipe their card. The old kind with the carbon copy papers. This is done only for our records because visa/mastercard/amex will stick it to you without one if there's a chargeback. The credit cards are always run by someone in the office.

OK, so a slight deviance from the topic here - you never let the chauffeurs know what amount is being charged? Geeze - these guys here would have a fit. They are spoiled; but I am changing some stuff around here quickly so I will be rocking their world. Brandon, YES - got to have that signature to avoid the chargeback. We do alot of corporate work and college students, so oftentimes a third party is paying.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

Blog Entries

I agree with Brandon on the larger amounts. Especially with prom coming some of the limo buses are charged $2000 to $2500, we want to protect ourself.
    The old imprinter is the way to go.

In another year or so we will not be able to slide the card anymore. The new credit cards will have the smart chips.

OK, I thought the imprinter is akin to the swipe, as far as merchant accounts go, because it is present. Now that you mention the smart chips - gaahhh - how will those work for our type of business....hmmmm.....
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    We never have chauffeurs handle any financial transaction. That is all done in the office. There is an overtime rate on the trip sheet and the client simply initials for the additional charges and the dispatcher runs the card on file that was used to dispatch the trip. We won't even let a chauffeur discuss rates with a client.
    We also don't allow chauffeurs to handle payments.

Renee, I would love to have you come to Cali. We would have a blast. Who is your credit card processor? On a side note, with or without a credit card signature, I have a pretty impressive track record at winning chargebacks. A signature on your TRIP SHEET works just the same and the chauffeurs DO have them sign the ticket that also contains their CC # (partial) as well as a signature line. You do not need an imprinter anymore. Even the credit card companies have changed with the time. I'm at home but later today I will send a screen shot of my track record with Amex. Renee, I would really love you you to talk to my credit card processor. They specialize in the limo biz. I had one chargeback in 2014 and got my money back and won with their help. GO CHOSEN PAYMENTS!!!!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Renee, my chauffeurs do have the ability to run cards with Square Readers. They use their own phone or it's run through the company owned iPad. The program is set up that you, as the business owner, can monitor all the transactions. I get an email every time a transaction is run by an employee with the amount and tip itemized. There are options as to what you allow your employees to do (i.e. ability to issue refunds, etc...). Your employees have no access to change any settings or see any transactions other than the history of their own transactions run through that particular device. Around here, limo companies and car services have such a bad reputation that there are a lot of people that refuse to give their card numbers to secure a reservation because they just don't trust that the car will even show up. Quite honestly, I don't blame them. As for a signature, the client signs with their finger on the screen. I don't even see what the point of signing is other than just something we do now because that's they way that it's always been done.

I don't even have a carbon copy credit card impression contraption. Nor do I have a typewriter or a VCR.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Senior Member Excalibur Limousine's Avatar

Renee,
    All of my drivers are able to update charges with their smartphones or tablets. We use Century Business Solutions as our credit card processor and their app is one of the best we have found here in Canada. We typically will manually enter credit card information then hand the device to the client to review and sign. It processes the transaction and sends a email to the card holder with captured signature. In the office we have to review the charges for validity and approve batch. All works very well for us.
    Excalibur Limousine Service
    'Delivering on Service'

Lincoln TC Exec L
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5 & ECB
    Ford Excursion 140" Stretch - Krystal & ECB
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28
    Ford F550 Limo Coach - Krystal KK33

I have some questions about what prompts the credit card use in the field. None of our vehicles roll out of the garage unless they are fully paid for the arrangements. At the time of booking, their card is obtained and run. It is the exact same thing as calling United Airlines to book a flight. Your arrangements are paid, your seat is reserved, you get a confirmation and that's that. Unless you deviate from your reservation, you will never have contact with United again. Once the chauffeur is dispatched, he has a trip ticket with a partial credit card number, the start and end time and a place for the client to sign (FastTrak). If the client "goes over" they simply initial for the overtime and their card is processed by the dispatcher at the conclusion of the trip. Why would you ever need to swipe a card in the field? (Side note - my wife's amex card was hacked yesterday and amex was so awesome they called us to find out when we last used the card and took all the fraud charges off).
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

We would have the use of swiping in the field on our share ride service. Say we get to the airport and someone is a "walk up" and needs a ride - right now, they have to call the office, get us to do the authorization and we can email them the info. But since we are not in here 24 hours, if it were to be a 2 am call, the driver could do that him/herself.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

I think with retail work you would lose many trips by requiring things to be paid up front. Younger people going out to bars or concerts often charge their friends the money and collect money from them before pickup. If pre-payment was standard among competitors they might not have a choice but when your competitor lets them pay cash on pickup you might lose the business. It's always good to give customers more options. Not to mention I think I would need to hire another person for dispatch just to track down payments from retail clients. I've even had clients have the bus sit there more times than I care to remember because they were waiting on someone to show up with the rest of the money.