Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: insurance policy quote base on company driving history or owner dmv record?

Default insurance policy quote base on company driving history or owner dmv record?

hey guys, do insurance company quote you base on your best drivers dmv record or the owners driving record?

Why don't you ask your insurance company.

both, also the type of vehicle, size, year, ect.....

Depends on how many vehicles you're insuring, if it's a "voluntary policy" or not, Loss records, operating location(s), passenger capacity. LGAL has the best advice though...
    Ryan Lord
    Signature Limousine Company
    New Bedford, MA
    SignatureLimo@comcast.net
    www.signaturelimocompany.com

Yes, today is Monday. will give them a call @ 9:00am.

Driver records will have nothing to do with it - but one the insurance company runs the MVRs, you will find out if they let him/her on the policy or not.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

Can i just submit the best 1099 chauffeurs

If you want them to cover a claim you need to submit everyone who will be driving the vehicle. They have to be approved and on the insurance policy to drive for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Limokidd View Post
    1099?

Good way to catdh an audit.
    John Harris
    Owner Operator
    Austin Ultimate Sedans

Quote Originally Posted by Limokidd View Post
    Let me expand here a bit. If you're just getting started, as it appears, and you're already hiring drivers I would advise you to get them legally employed - there are very narrow requirements that must be met, under labor law and IRS regulations, to call an employee an independent contractor. You very seriously need to educate yourself on those requirements and restrictions.

You have a lot of "startup" questions, regarding insurance, seat covers, cars to use and a myriad of others. Employee classification is one area which can really bite you if you're not very careful.
    John Harris
    Owner Operator
    Austin Ultimate Sedans

Research, research and more research is your friend. When I was in the beginning stages of putting together a business plan and business strategy (even before I incorporated), I went to my local Chamber of Commerce. They had a wealth of information available for almost any type of new business. They even offered free classes and seminars to help new business succeed.

I would HIGHLY recommend doing your due diligence and homework. Yes, this forum is a good place for ideas and tips, but nothing will replace learning everything first hand yourself. Get on the phone and call multiple insurance companies to get an idea on cost, policies, requirements, restrictions, obstacles, hurdles, etc. If you want to enter the business legally and legitimately, learn as much as you can and keep files and records for future reference. It's not impossible, but making smart decisions will help you succeed. You don't want to jump into things with the, "Ready, fire, aim" mentality. That can get you in trouble... and quickly.
    Ryan Lord
    Signature Limousine Company
    New Bedford, MA
    SignatureLimo@comcast.net
    www.signaturelimocompany.com

I am beginning to think this "kidd" is a troll.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

1099? They need their OWN insurance! If they are a contractor, they are an INDEPENDENT contractor or IC as we call them. They also need their own business license, their own DBA filing, their own business bank account and can drive for any other company in the area because they are - independent. They MUST have risk of financial loss to be considered a TRUE I/C according to IRS rules. They work their own hours. You cannot tell them how to do the job. For more information on this...use this link to the IRS: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-...ractor-Defined

You are playing with fire!

Now, back to the issue at hand, I had dinner last night with my insurance agent. She explained that each individual driver IS reviewed for "risk" based on their driving record. The insurance company will accept or deny a driver but even a accepted driver could be assigned a higher risk.

Let's look at it like this. You have five employees. You have 3 drivers with perfect driving records that score a 10 each. One driver has a few tickets and scores a 6 and one has an at-fault accident and a speeding ticket and is assigned a 4. This means your total risk assignment is an 8. If you had five drivers with a 10, you would have a 10 rating and your premiums would be lower than a company with an 8.

This is not the exact formula but one written for a simple explanation of how important it is to hire chauffeurs with a clean record.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

to start out, I will just have one full time employee and the rest are just Independent contractors ( I always thought IC where refer to as 1099, sorry for the confusion), this is why I truly love this forum so much.

I had called CPUC and their response to any inquires takes forever for them to get back to you.

biggest obstacle right now is, A). purchased a vehicle through financed B). the vehicle is registered under a personal name (Christopher Jr.)

the entity which is registered with CPUC is under the LLC. name, will I still be able to register with CPUC for this vehicle using DBA name -> Christopher Jr. on the commercial insurance and registration title?
    Last edited by Limokidd; January 13th, 2015 at 04:27 PM.