Thread: Cost of Limousine Retrofit for New California Laws

Default Cost of Limousine Retrofit for New California Laws

Beginning in January 2016, all existing limousines (10 pax and under) are required to have a fifth door and either pop out windows or a roof escape hatch under new laws mandated by the passing of SB109.

Does anyone have information on retrofit costs...?

The numbers we are seeing are $1,500 for a roof hatch, $3,000 for custom pop out window, and $21,000 for an added 5th door.

Does it make any sense to incur these costs for a vehicle that is only worth $15,000 to $25,000...?

Are you planning on making the modifications, ignoring the new rules, or dumping your 120s...?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Hello: I too as wondering what the costs are and who is designing and making the product for proper installation. So far I have not heard a thing. No standards being set in place. Does anyone have a status on this mess??

Are you guys not members of the GCLA? There is an assembly bill in progress right now that squashes that whole deal - at least for now. It is expected that the bill will pass. Another success for our lobbyist and another reason YOU SHOULD BE A MEMBER to protect the industry. Together, we can take care of stuff like that. Walking alone.....leaves you not knowing what is going on.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

That's good news Jim. But why didn't the GCLA oppose this stupid bill in the first place. There are much better and more effective ways to address this problem than to mandate things that are impossible to achieve.

Totally agree with that statement. But, are you a member? If not, you don't get to ask those questions. Not trying to be rude but membership makes us stronger and the previous board is no longer the board and I suspect that is because the voting members could not believe what they allowed to happen. The current president is blazing new paths including sponsorship of LAX PD social activities!!!! That is how the real world works. Get on board......this is me leaning out to you with my hand to help you on the train!!!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Is there an update on this?
    Estera Semeniuc
    805-285-2805
    Crulimos.com