Thread: Cpuc tcp - help !!

Default Cpuc tcp - help !!

Hello fellows,

do anyone know if the California Public Utility Commission is required us to have "Business Name - LLC." on the commercial registration? or can it be just the owners name will do?

because as of now, the car I have in place is financed and the lien holder happen to have the title IN HAND.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

I'm trying to fax in a CA REG590 Form from DMV to my lien holder, the form is basically a request for commercial registration of a passenger vehicle. But no where on this form states where I can put the business name?

has this happened to anyone on this form before? Sorry, still trying to figure out how I'm going to add this car on to my current pending TCP number, which need to be activated

PS: right now the registration is under personal name
    Last edited by Limokidd; December 19th, 2014 at 10:55 PM.

What is the name on your TCP permit? You can add a line to the REGISTERED OWNER if you need to. Let's look at it like this:

If you are running ABC Limousine Service as a sole proprietor and your name is John Doe, you can have a registered owner of John Doe OR ABC Limousine Service as one in the same are operating it. However, if you are an LLC, the REGISTERED OWNER needs to be in the name of ABC Limousine Service LLC. You will also need it to be this way to get airport operating authority. The registration must match the permit holder.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    What is the name on your TCP permit? You can add a line to the REGISTERED OWNER if you need to. Let's look at it like this:

If you are running ABC Limousine Service as a sole proprietor and your name is John Doe, you can have a registered owner of John Doe OR ABC Limousine Service as one in the same are operating it. However, if you are an LLC, the REGISTERED OWNER needs to be in the name of ABC Limousine Service LLC. You will also need it to be this way to get airport operating authority. The registration must match the permit holder.
    Dear limo scene,

Its northern travel LLC. So stuck right now trying to registered a financed SUV (personal name/loan) to the CPUC which requires a commercial plate and registration. Ally from GM is my current my lien holder, and anything change to the title must go through them with approval. There is something called "transfer of equity" which sounds like to me is basically a entirely new loan?

Have around another 7-8 weeks left before the tcp will be denied and closed, on the 3 month time grace period.

Quickest option that I can think of is to purchased a used vehicle commercial titled under LLC. to have it registered and approved.

LimoKidd,

Essentially, all CA is trying to ensure is that a commercial for-hire vehicle is properly insured with adequate limits to cover the passengers in the event of an accident. That means the vehicle needs to have a commercial Livery insurance policy on it. You cannot have a commercial policy under a personally owned vehicle (if I'm incorrect, someone please correct me; but that is my understanding).

Instead of buying a pre-owned vehicle, you could sell your personal vehicle to your business for $1. That would be the transfer of equity you were talking about. It would be a new loan under your business entity instead of your own name and your own credit being put on the line. The only disadvantage of this option is that you would have to pay sales tax on the vehicle again when you were to re-register with commercial plates.

This is smart anyway. You want to keep your personal finances and your business finances separate. If you can't make your payments, or you're in an accident and sued, that goes against the business side without ruining your personal finances/credit.
    Ryan Lord
    Signature Limousine Company
    New Bedford, MA
    SignatureLimo@comcast.net
    www.signaturelimocompany.com

Ryan, in California vehicles over a certain weight can and are registered as commercial vehicles even though they are not technically used for any commercial purpose. The most common example of this is pick-up trucks. They almost always have commercial plates. As an example (for Californians) your personal auto would have a plate like 3ABC123. However, a pickup truck might be 8N12498.

The thought process of selling the vehicle to the business for $1 is a great idea except that my understanding is the vehicle is currently financed and while he could pay himself $1 from the company, the finance company would need the full payment to close the loan and cause DMV to issue a new title.

Here is what I suggest. Contact your finance company and tell them you want to ADD your business name to the registration so that it is registered to John Doe AND ABC Limousine Service. They may balk at this because then it implies it is a commercial/business loan when in fact it is a personal loan. However, adding the business name to the REGISTERED OWNER field doesn't take away anything from them or change the loan status. You may be able to avoid them all together by just going to DMV and asking them to add it. It doesn't change anything with who really "owns" the vehicle (ie. the lender). Not sure where you live but the smaller the DMV office - the better. I drive 30 minutes away to a rural farm town because they really don't seem to be as hard-ass.

Good luck!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Thank you so much for the above advise, I live in SF BAY AREA. I'm heading out now to DMV and try to add the LLC to the registration without the title in hand.

If adding the LLC on to the title works, then everything should be approved by the insurance company and CPUC?

Sept 30th, 2014 SB611, no need for livery plates from DMV <- just found out
    Last edited by Limokidd; December 24th, 2014 at 04:42 PM.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    You may be able to avoid them all together by just going to DMV and asking them to add it. It doesn't change anything with who really "owns" the vehicle (ie. the lender). Not sure where you live but the smaller the DMV office - the better. I drive 30 minutes away to a rural farm town because they really don't seem to be as hard-ass.

Good luck!
    Tried that in Indiana - no go (doesn't mean won't work by you though!). The BMV insisted that the registration had to match the loan. In the end it wasn't a big deal for us as we don't have a PUC to deal with, but just thought I would throw in my experience.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

<- FAILED, AFTER DMV ATTEMPTED

it's pretty darn strict here in the bay, they need title in hand for them add on LLC, plus commercial registration plate.

OPTION #1 Pick up Benz R350 under LLC.

OPTION #2 PAYOFF LIEN HOLDER / Make $53K CASH in 4.5 month - (BUILD 38 STUNNING E REAL ESTATE LIMOUSINE WEBSITES)

OPTION #3 manifest something from nothing, then sell it