Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uber and RICO laws

Default Uber and RICO laws

Why hasn't anyone organized a unified effort to force the feds to investigate Uber for violating RICO laws? Too much money? Too many politicians making money off of Uber? Why does the Democratic paradise that is Chicago, which slams operators left and right with taxes, allow UberX to continue, regulation and tax free? Could it be that the brother of the mayor, Ari Emanuel, has a stake in Uber? I'd venture to say yes.

Uber has created an online marketplace for people to find and pair up illegal gypsy cab operators with fares and then further facilitates the financial transaction between the two parties. Not to mention, they actively recruit average people to start their very own illegal cab operation. The party offering the service in almost all cases (in the case of UberX) is not a registered or licensed business and in fact operating illegally in most every single jurisdiction in which it operates. Why does the addition of a cell phone confuse everyone to what is going on?

I don't think it could be a clearer example of racketeering. Uber recruits and then assists their "drivers" in violating the law for economic gain.

What am I missing?
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Take the lead and start initiating the action you seek.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

You know what? That's good advice.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC

I just sent a message to my local Congressman and to the IL Governor (see below for a copy of what I sent). Lets see what comes back.

Message Subject: Stance on UberX, Lyft, and Sidecar services
    Message Text:
    I would like to know why there is such confusion over UberX, Lyft, and Sidecar services on allowing them to continue to operate an illegal business venture. These companies have organized an efficient gypsy cab organization by use of technology and called it "ridesharing." These companies have created an online marketplace for people to find and pair up with what amounts to illegal gypsy cab operators with fares and then further facilitates the financial transaction between the two parties via credit card processing. Not to mention, they actively recruit average people to start their very own illegal cab operation. The party offering the service in almost all cases (in the case of UberX, Lyft, and Sidecar) is not a properly registered or licensed business and in fact, operating illegally in most every single jurisdiction in which it operates. Why does the addition of a cell phone and mobile app technology confuse everyone to whether this is a legal operation? I don't think it could be a clearer example of racketeering and a violation of RICO laws. Uber recruits and then assists their "drivers" in violating the law for economic gain. Legally established taxi cab and car service businesses are being hurt by these illegal fronts. Although not a huge problem yet in the suburbs, I do not think this issue should wait until it is. Nor do I think they should be allowed to operate anywhere in the State of IL with any drivers using vehicles not licensed as "for hire" vehicles with "Livery" or "Taxi" registration by the IL SOS (where there is already a system in place to ensure that these "for hire" vehicles have a proper insurance policy that protects the public using these services.

Would you like a response? Y
    Last edited by Vintage Limos; October 30th, 2014 at 09:28 PM.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC

This brings up another reason to not allow these techno-gypsy cab companies to operate. If Igolnikov was running a gypsy cab company, there would be no way to ensure that his vehicles met standards because you'd have no way to track them. At least this guy had the vehicles insured as "for hire" vehicles. These other companies have zero standards. Either hold everyone in the industry to the same standards or eliminate the laws and special registration regarding "for hire" vehicles and let the rider beware. There's no reason why some players are exempt from the law to the detriment of others.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC

Joe Jordan in Houston has brought up the RICO Laws argument as well. Maybe you contact him.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

If there are any RICO arguments to be made it would apply to current limo and taxi protection laws which inhibit competition and includes price fixing. Houston is big on this so Jordan would be pissing into the wind.

In addition. As limos primarily engage in interstate commerce there could be antitrust issues.

RICO for Uber? Not likely.

But again. Talk the talk or walk the walk.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

"Either hold everyone in the industry to the same standards or eliminate the laws and special registration regarding "for hire" vehicles and let the rider beware. There's no reason why some players are exempt from the law to the detriment of others."

AMEN - time for a revolution. Maybe we need to all put these on our cars so it is known who is taking part. "The tree of liberty is very thirsty."

V.jpg
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

On a somewhat separate issue, Andrew, I have to ask the following, because maybe I have been painting the state of Illinois in an unfair light in my own mind. I thought everyone in Illinois was giddy with happiness with the state of our county, being your Senator is now the President. Isn't most of the state a Dem stronghold or are there still some right-wingers with minds for capitalism and business lingering in a few corners?

I guess it is possible many of you think I have no teeth and I married my brother, too. (Although I don't LIVE in West Virginia. hahaha!)
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whglimo View Post
    On a somewhat separate issue, Andrew, I have to ask the following, because maybe I have been painting the state of Illinois in an unfair light in my own mind. I thought everyone in Illinois was giddy with happiness with the state of our county, being your Senator is now the President. Isn't most of the state a Dem stronghold or are there still some right-wingers with minds for capitalism and business lingering in a few corners?

I guess it is possible many of you think I have no teeth and I married my brother, too. (Although I don't LIVE in West Virginia. hahaha!)
    I would say that it would be ignorant to generalize and group together any group of people. Do you really think Illinois is all Democrat? 890 AM is probably one of the strongest conservative radio stations in the country, and it is located in Chicago. The rest of the state outside of Chicago mostly votes Republican.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...Illinois,_2012
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whglimo View Post

Chicago and Cook County (where Chicago is located) is a Democratic stronghold. The rest of the state is pretty overwhelmingly Republican but the Chicago vote is so huge that we wind up with a lot of Democratic Governors and the like.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mill Limousine View Post
    I would say that it would be ignorant to generalize and group together any group of people.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...Illinois,_2012

Well, as I STATED before I asked, I really do not know. No reason to imply I am ignorant. I asked, and asked nicely.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Limos View Post
    Chicago and Cook County (where Chicago is located) is a Democratic stronghold. The rest of the state is pretty overwhelmingly Republican but the Chicago vote is so huge that we wind up with a lot of Democratic Governors and the like.
    This is what happens here, as well - the upper part of West Virginia is practically a different state. Too bad these voting districts have been gerrymandered over the years - in ALL states - to push particular areas to one side or another. I read a book once that basically said the entire country should be divided up in squares in each state. Will never happen, but we can imagine it, right?

And thank you Andrew - for not being offended at my question.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

We have had the same thing happen here. They changed the boundaries of some of the represented districts so that you have these skinny little strips that extend out from Chicago all the way to rural areas to further the reach of the Democrats. Obviously the dense population of the city outweighs the looser density out in the suburban and rural areas when it comes to voting. Completely ridiculous how little these representatives actually represent us.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC