Thread: Uber a victim of Brand Genericide?

Hybrid View

Default Uber a victim of Brand Genericide?

Uber has been so popular and so different in the way that they have invaded the "for hire" car service market that they have found themselves a victim of brand gerericide.

I have had several calls in the past few weeks and even had one today for someone requesting an "Uber Car."

Uber has become a generic term used by people referring to an on demand car service.

This is not good for a brand. It means that people see no difference in Uber as opposed to any on demand car service.

So theoretically, a completely independent company can become the "Best Uber Car" company in an area while Uber gets no part of the business. As long as the business doesn't advertise that and it's just what people are calling it, there's nothing Uber can do about it.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

It is sad. Not just a term for "on demand" car service. I can see it becoming the standard call for all car services.
    Jerry Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by PTLimoNC View Post
    It is sad. Not just a term for "on demand" car service. I can see it becoming the standard call for all car services.
    I don't see it that way at all. Uber launched a great service and has gotten a lot more people to think of using a car service that before never would have thought of it. They've sent a wake up call to unresponsive, unprofessional, and inept car service providers.

Uber will be the standard as far as quickness and ease of obtaining a car (for now) but other than that, they have no standards for quality. The only excellent Uber drivers are those that have just started. As they quickly figure out they aren't making any money and have to deal with Uber jerks (not all Uber users are jerks but there is a higher percentage of people that are) day in and day out, the driver's attitudes and customer service focus falls off real quick. Uber is already getting a bad rep in the Chicago area for bad service and beat cars. Go figure, that Uber is becoming the thing that they set out to destroy. UberX is seen as below a taxi because it's cheaper than a taxi and the people that pick you up are (I'm paraphrasing from a recent conversation I had with a non-industry friend) "Just some guy in his car. It was creepy and awkward. It was dirt cheap but I wouldn't do it again."

The only professional livery companies that will survive this "Uber revolution" will be the ones that deserve to survive. Cab companies will have to adapt. Black car services have to adapt. Those that don't will go under because they aren't providing value to the marketplace.

Keep in mind many early innovators have initial success only to lose out later to another company that does it better. I'm sure Woolworth's put a lot of small mom and pop shops out of business in the late 1800s when they were one of the first department stores. Up until not long before their demise, they were a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Where are they now?

I think Uber has jump started an antiquated industry and will raise the operating standards in which a car service will have to meet in order to stay in business. It has also forced the industry to re-examine what it is that the public wants from them. I know that I'm constantly looking at what it is that people like and what they don't and changing my business to meet those demands in a profitable and sustainable way.
    Last edited by Vintage Limos; September 7th, 2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

With great press coverage, Uber @ Lyft has brought serious public attention to the corruption permeating the taxicab and certain limo markets & I love it!!!.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Blog Entries

Denver has a new service they call it "Doober car service" they bring you to the head shops.
    (This of course is all just fiction, but my mind as of late has been working like this)
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

Quote Originally Posted by MrQ45Limo View Post
    Denver has a new service they call it "Doober car service" they bring you to the head shops.
    (This of course is all just fiction, but my mind as of late has been working like this)
    Hmmmm, I think this is actually a great idea. I personally love Colorado - except for the liberal weenies who hate guns - maybe I can go open up a service like this.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com