Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SEO

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Default New SEO

Over the past few months I have noticed our sites starting to slip. So I did a little research to see what Google was changing now... I came across an article that stated SEO had changes for 2014. Links and link exchanging is now considered bad. Everything that we have done in the past to be on top now must be undone and start fresh. It seems Google wants more content and site to be promoted by other entities. Such as social media, examples would be Facebook, Linkedin, twitter, ad sites etc...

This is just going on what I have read. Have any of you who do your own SEO run into this and have any helpful info you could share ?

This is correct, social media is the key, but only content specific to your business and region, it is a added value to your customer's!

I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with a rep from Google Adwords. Not a contractor for GOOGLE but the real deal Google. They helped me create campaigns, set budgets, keywords etc.... I had the same problem Mike. We were slipping and I didn't know why. They helped me get back to the #1 position in my market. However, I did hang up wondering if a local competitor called them tomorrow, what prevents them from doing the same thing for them and worse yet, they know what my daily click budget is so they could generate more revenue for themselves by asking a competitor to bid higher. It's a dog-eat-dog world.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

I'm sure the competitors are already using adwords only not as efficient as you are. Most people I see that use google adwords hire a company to run it for them and get charged a ton of extra money by the third party, so you're already ahead of the competition.

I don't ever read articles as they are usually BS tricks trying to reinvent the wheel. I have been using the same principals on google for over 10 years. Google has always wanted lots of high quality content on your sites. What do you think having your site on social media provides? Links. So that's really a contradictory statement.

Blog Entries

Hey Jim I am going to do some more research as to why we have slipped. But in the meantime I think a pay per click ad may be a good idea. Happy to hear it's not just us.

Blog Entries

You are correct, I only believe about 10% of what I read on the web. I did find an article in Google' s webmaster tools. It states that links are now considered a penalty. Not sure what to think of this. That's why I wanted to reach out for some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    I don't ever read articles as they are usually BS tricks trying to reinvent the wheel. I have been using the same principals on google for over 10 years. Google has always wanted lots of high quality content on your sites. What do you think having your site on social media provides? Links. So that's really a contradictory statement.

Google's big thing is looking for quality and authoritative original content that is preferably added to often.

The issue with links is that it used to be JUST the number of sites linking to you made a difference, so therefore link farms/directories (sites that do nothing but link out to sites submitted) was a big thing. Now if they catch on to you doing that, that is what is bad for you. Links coming in from other sites that google considers as quality are not going to hurt you, only help you.

While doing a ton of crap links to your site may help boost your site short term, if they flag you as doing that, you can then find yourself going from front page results to not being found unless specifically looking for your site.

Another thing that used to be big and help was sites that sold and/or just let you use articles written by people they paid. So you go there, find 5 articles on Limo Service, and add them into your site. Gets your site filled with good relative content to help you rank. Well on one update, Google decided to start penalizing sites that used content from services like that, and other content it sees duplicated over a large number sites. When that change went into place, there was more than one article service that pretty much went out of business overnight becasue of it.

As the moderators here can probably testify to, one of the other big thing "fly by night" (or "pay me now and I'll give you a 'set it and forget it' SEO solution") is they go and pay people in India to spam your links all over forums and blogs. I'm a moderator on a few forums myself, even with good filtering systems in place, with people manually signing up, crap gets through.

This and like any other black hat tactic, may give you a boost short term, but if google figures out that is what you are doing, good luck getting relisted. Paying for someone reputable in that to help overcome that is NOT cheap.

I don't claim to know SEO extremely well. I had the privilege of working with people who do. I'm talking people who spend half their working day doing nothing but research. I can tell you though that good SEO is not a set it and forget it, it is a beast of its own, changing often, with the need of knowledge for leveraging social media as well keeping the site active. Where I worked, I can tell you the people who ranked the best were the clients who were active in their marketing/seo strategies, and the ones who decided to just pay one of our guys to just do it all.

I like to lean about it, and try to keep up, but for me, I decided to just stick to the site programming, it doesn't change as often
    This space intentionally left blank.

Social Media .. once again, fb twitter, instagram, blogger google+ it plats a huge role now! Just saying.

Greg, I'm an amateur when it comes to website design and SEO. What's your take on companies that specialize in SEO? How do I go about finding a reputable one and realistically, how much does something like that cost?
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Pretty much it comes down to getting references from people, I usually tell people to try to get teh references from people are still using the service and have been for at the very least 6 months, but preferably over 12. Short term results are fairly easy to show improvement, but long lasting good results are what matter, and that length of time gets you a better insight to the customer service they provide.

The cost, sorry to say, isn't an easy thing as well. As mentioned, the difference in how active you will be vs how much you want them to do can make a difference. The other thing that should make a difference to a good SEO person is taking into account the market. If you are in an area where there is a lot of competition, and most of the competition is very strong on their SEO/Marketing, well, that is going to cost more, as you will need to be more aggressive. Anywhere from a few hundred a month to 1000+/month.

Again, those are monthly, ongoing costs. This can seem a big chunk of change from your budget, but a good SEO person/firm should be able to have solid referrals showing that in the end, the money spent was tracked to show it brought in a good return on that money. I wish I could give a better definite answer, but that is just a field that has a ton of variables. Just keep in mind that like your industry, price should not be the #1 factor in who to use.

Thanks Greg. I agree about the price as an indicator.

I had gotten a call from Captain Marketing (among others) about 6 months ago and then again more recently and they were trying to sell me on a SEO package that was around $250 / month. I'm thinking that sounds like too low of a price for anyone to actually do my website any good over the long term. I'd guess a professional that knows what they are doing will charge at least $60/hr which would leave me with 4 hrs of work dedicated to my SEO per month. That just doesn't sound like it's enough to do anything but drain my wallet of $250 / month.

What I did was I went to amazon.com and started browsing for current SEO fundamentals books, published sometime this year. With my Prime membership, I was able to "borrow" without even having to pay for it. I'm reading "SEO 2014 & Beyond" by Dr Andy Williams. It's very interesting and I didn't know how much that I didn't know until I started reading.

As much as I would like to believe $250 a month will get me seen on Google and other search results, it seems like a ploy that will eventually hurt my company's website visibility. For what they offered for their rate, I'm sure that I can educate myself and do just as good, if not better than them. Now, the solid companies that handle national brands, I'm sure that they are worth it but I'm sure that they are thousands per month.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Two items i forgot to mention about in what to look for.

1. if they do not want access to actually edit your site (or at the least telling you things on your site that you need to change), that is a good sign that they are not a full service.

2. Any SEO worth anything does NOT have to cold call to get business, usually they get plenty of business from referrals and people coming to them. With the premium rate that a good SEO person commands, would they really spend time doing this?

You are taking a good route on learning things, you definitely want current reading as things change so much. I didn't know you could do that with Amazon Prime. I wish I could give you some good resources to check, but I admit, I haven't really looked into SEO in a couple of years. Wish I had the time though.