Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel gauge reports higher

Default Fuel gauge reports higher

I have a 2005 Town car where the fuel gauge reports higher than whatever fuel is left. My car stalled twice at 85 miles and around 110 miles left on the digital meter, the needle was showing around 1/4th gas left while all the gas was out. Luckily car was on the way back to base after passenger was dropped off and I was able to get gas in 20 minute. Later I had the pump replaced as per dealer, but that didn't do any good. Did such problem ever happened to you ? Any ideas?
    This is so annoying, it happens just a few times every month where the gauge is reporting higher, not all the time.
    ~
    ~Dee

Blog Entries

Have you replaced your fuel pump relay?

Did they change the entire fuel pump assembly which includes the sender and float, or just the motor/pump?

My mechanic told me that some vehicles syphon from the bottom of the tank. He said that if the fuel line breaks or is rusted inside the tank, it won't be able to draw all the fuel from the bottom of the tank. So even if the gauge reads half full, you will only get the top half. Never heard of this before and not sure if this is true or not, but sounds realistic.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Celebritylimoky View Post
    My mechanic told me that some vehicles syphon from the bottom of the tank. He said that if the fuel line breaks or is rusted inside the tank, it won't be able to draw all the fuel from the bottom of the tank. So even if the gauge reads half full, you will only get the top half. Never heard of this before and not sure if this is true or not, but sounds realistic.
    I've changed the fuel pump assembly personally on this version of the Town Car in question. You're mechanics comments don't apply to modern cars.

Unless your fleet is mainly late 60's Ford Falcons, you want to get a new mechanic.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; July 2nd, 2014 at 11:13 PM.

Default A smart ass in every croud

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyLimo View Post
    I've changed the fuel pump assembly personally on this version of the Town Car in question. You're mechanics comments don't apply to modern cars.

Unless your fleet is mainly late 60's Ford Falcons, you want to get a new mechanic.
    I never said I was referring to any car in my fleet!
    Dan Repass
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

Celebrity has a point, if the pick-up tube/hose on the bottom of the pump between the strainer and the pump is cracked, the pump will suck air and not fuel. I've seen those tubes made of plastic or metal.

Family: Why is it the dummy without the college education that runs his own limo business could figure that out, but you couldn't? If you are not going to contribute to problem solving, please keep your opinions to yourself!
    Last edited by Party Bus Andy; July 3rd, 2014 at 12:04 AM.
    Andy
    937-620-9120
    937-524-5899 (office)
    Dunlap Limousine, LLC
    http://www.dunlaplimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Party Bus Andy View Post
    Celebrity has a point, if the pick-up tube/hose on the bottom of the pump between the strainer and the pump is cracked, the pump will suck air and not fuel. I've seen those tubes made of plastic or metal.

Family: Why is it the dummy without the college education that runs his own limo business could figure that out, but you couldn't? If you are not going to contribute to problem solving, please keep your opinions to yourself!
    Because that's not how they are designed these days. Take a look for yourself at what the pump looks like on a LTC:

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...28_p04_ang.jpg

Oh snap!

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Yes and what he is referring to is the rubber line between the pump and the pickup. If that line has a crack in it you will suck air and have stalling problems.
    In this case I don't think this is your problem, Dee. 99% of the time the contacts on the sending units float will start to have contact problems. In this case you would replace the pump module as it is called when you replace the entire assembly instead of just the pump. You will want to ask your tech if he replaced just the pump or the whole module. If he only did the pump, Ford makes a kit that you can replace the float on the module and this should solve your problem. I hope this helps.

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Default Go away !!!!

Because that's not how they are designed these days. Take a look for yourself at what the pump looks like on a LTC:

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...28_p04_ang.jpg

Oh snap!
    ( Oh SNAP ) Really !!! Here is a guy with a real problem and seeking help. Once again from you we get childish smartass remarks. Do us all a favor and find a new hobby that doesn't include this forum !!!!!!!!

This is the strainer that mounts to the bottom of the pump. As you can see in the picture, there is a short tube that connects it to the fuel pump. For the benefit of Family Limo I am posting the definition of the word "tube" so that he can better understand what I am referring to. Tube (fluid conveyance), a hollow cylinder used for moving fluids.
    Andy
    937-620-9120
    937-524-5899 (office)
    Dunlap Limousine, LLC

Dee, I'm sorry, I should have been focused on helping you to solve your problem, I'm in agreement with Elegant on this one. All of the information on your gauge cluster comes from your computer and if it is getting inaccurate information from the fuel level sending unit it will not have accurate information for the driver. My suggestion until you get it fixed is to reset your trip odometer when you fill-up. Multiply the number of gallons your tank holds (in your case 19) by the worst fuel mileage your car has ever gotten, then never exceed that number of miles between fill-ups. This suggestion should keep you moving assuming the tank was empty with the gauge stuck at the 1/4 level.
    Andy
    937-620-9120
    937-524-5899 (office)
    Dunlap Limousine, LLC

Dear family limo, or whatever your name is, I think you have a serious problem here. I am getting the feeling that you might not be getting any importance or attention in your life and you want to try draw some attention in this forum with your hard ideas and cheap criticism by disrespecting others here. I have been in business for 11 years with 9 vehicles, and this problem is a little complex for us, any opinion or idea on this is welcome. No one can guarantee anything, but if we try to give our experience and idea, something always works out.
    You have no right to impose your strong opinions on others here. I suggest you stay away from my threads in future and I will do the same for yours. Just your very input, and the choice of your words ruins the vibe and changes the direction of many threads on this forum... May be you learn how to use words with some warmth, otherwise you or your help is not appreciated in such way.

~Dee

Blog Entries

Looks like the floater on your fuel pump is not working right.

I had a 2007 LTC that had an opposite problem. It always showed half full although the gas was full.
    The problem started after replacing the fuel pump with a ford original part.

Looking back at my maintenance records, I had a problem a few years back with one of my "vintage" vehicles (2005 GMC) van that the fuel gauge always read empty. The dealer said it was the instrument cluster that would need to be replaced at a cost of about $800.00. My in house mechanic disagreed. He suggested we replace the fuel pump. I opted for the latter of the two, which was around $100.00 I think. That solved the problem and still works as it should today.
    Dan Repass
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM