Thread: 2001 LTC Owners

Default 2001 LTC Owners

I just replaced the air compressor on our 2001 LTC stretch (American Coach Classics). I just wanted to give a heads up for anyone who might need to do this in the future. I was having problem removing 2 of the 3, 8mm nuts that hold the assembly to the frame. I read a thread from a few months ago and noticed that Nite2RememberLimo mentioned that the backup battery is in a compartment just forward of the driver's side wheel well. I didn't know it was there since I have another battery in the trunk and the main battery in the engine compartment. Sure enough, my limo had the smaller battery. I had to remove it in order to get to the other 2 nuts on the air compressor assembly. After I did that, the air compressor came right out. Simple to reinstall the new one. Just know that the small battery has to be removed to get access to those nuts from the underside.

Now for a question. I have called NAPA, Autozone, and O'Reillys and no one can find that battery application. They only have the main battery. Does anyone have a part number for a new small battery that properly fits in that area AND has the proper terminals??? I'm hoping that those who have replaced theirs might be able to help. Thanks!

Al

Just take the battery to your parts store and they should be able to match it up. And your car has 3 batteries? I've never seen that.

Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    Just take the battery to your parts store and they should be able to match it up. And your car has 3 batteries? I've never seen that.

I haven't seen it mentioned in any forum. I haven't traced the line from the battery in the trunk (which is the same as the main in the engine compartment). I don't know why it is there but there has to be a reason. Maybe the previous owner's mechanic has jerri-rigged something but everything seems to work properly.

Yes, it's a matching exercise. Size match is one aspect. Also see if it matches the same orientation for the pos and neg terminals or you may have trouble hooking it up without modifications. And finally the amp rating is the other key aspect. More is ok, less not so good.

I want to say mine was a size 22 lawn tractor battery.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

I bought my replacement a few months ago at Batteries Plus. You have one there in Flagstaff. I say take it there.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Thanks for the input! I've got to say, the ride since replacing the air springs and compressor is absolutely incredible! Worth every skinned knuckle! I'll be in town on Monday and will stop by Battery Plus and see if they can hook me up! Now, if I can just figure out why the third battery in the trunků.

The third battery in the trunk may have been added for extra reserve to power the stereo amps.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Private Limo View Post
    Thanks for the input! I've got to say, the ride since replacing the air springs and compressor is absolutely incredible! Worth every skinned knuckle! I'll be in town on Monday and will stop by Battery Plus and see if they can hook me up! Now, if I can just figure out why the third battery in the trunků.
    How many miles on the original shocks? If they are original, wait until you replace them. The whole car will ride like brand new. My limo went from riding like crap to amazing after putting on replacement OEM shocks, Arnott air bags, and new front springs (front springs replaced to fix a lean to the right).

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyLimo View Post
    How many miles on the original shocks? If they are original, wait until you replace them. The whole car will ride like brand new. My limo went from riding like crap to amazing after putting on replacement OEM shocks, Arnott air bags, and new front springs (front springs replaced to fix a lean to the right).
    When I replaced the air springs (Arnott), the rear shocks were replaced at the same time. I am considering replacing the front springs just because I was so surprised at the ride from replacing the suspension in the rear. I take it into my mechanic tomorrow to replace some leaking oil lines and to do some other items that I just don't have the time for.

Celebritylimoky, I think you may have solved the mystery of the third battery. The previous owner (a limo company) replaced the rear stereo and TV just before we purchased it. The battery date code aligns with that timeframe. It makes sense because the newer stereo is much more powerful than the stock one that came with the limo (I was told anyway).

I've got to say, I really love this limo as does my wife! It is fun to drive and fun to ride in! I should have bought one years ago!!!

The small battery in front is a lawn tractor battery, its only purpose is to jump start the limo in the event of a main battery drain. On the radiator support you will find a battery isolater that keeps the small battery charged, when you press the battery button on your control panel it activates a solenoid that connects the 2 batterys together momentarily to give it a jump.