Thread: How Can I Help

Default How Can I Help

Next week, the staffers of LCT will hunker down in a conference room for the three full days as we plan the next year of magazine issues. To help me help you.....tell me:

What are the hot topics of the industry?

What do you want to learn more about?

How can we better serve you?

What are we doing wrong?

What are we doing right?

Anything else???
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

How can we as an industry, get the airlines to do a better job? Flights are late, we sit and wait, and kill profit margins and the airlines don't seem to care. (I am being somewhat snarky, because I realize this is next to impossible and they really do not give a crap.)
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

Default Crony capitalism

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Next week, the staffers of LCT will hunker down in a conference room for the three full days as we plan the next year of magazine issues. To help me help you.....tell me:

What are the hot topics of the industry?

What do you want to learn more about?

How can we better serve you?

What are we doing wrong?

What are we doing right?

Anything else???
    I suspect I'm not the desired audience for the LCT and suspect my input here carries little weight because I do not run a limousine business. However that could change and rather than buying a car and going right into it, I don't see how being a little more in touch with the industry beforehand is a bad thing.

To sum up my input to one phrase: crony capitalism

From LCT's June 2014 issue page 14 center column: "Regulators and politicians nationwide have struggled to find the right classification and regulatory approach to TNCs because of their unique and unprecedented business model."

That is already concerning but reading that in a magazine probably read by a lot of entrepreneurs in an article entitled "Proposed Insurance Rules Could Put Uber, TNCs In Their Place" made it even more so.

I'm going to quote my own post in another thread about the vitriol toward Uber from the transportation industry and an anecdote of crony capitalism:

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    All the regulation and expense placed on the industry has made the playing field uneven when something innovative comes along. So the answer seems to be to suppress the innovation rather than the over-regulation.

And one of the associations pushes for an increase in insurance be placed on those operating legally with coverage because of the amount of people who aren't paying for insurance. So there is an abundance of illegal operators without insurance and licensing and the answer is to raise insurance and licensing requirements on the operators obeying the law? (yeah, this particular article is old but the mentality still applies.) I didn't catch anything in there that addresses the illegal operators but rather make it more difficult for those who operate legally.

http://www.lctmag.com/operations/new...ance-standards

There is a downward trend in every row (except the first and last for obvious reasons) and this regulation mentality doesn't help. The difference is even more startling with those businesses started in the more recent past: http://www.bls.gov/bdm/entrepreneurship/bdm_chart3.htm

Do the same trends apply to your industry?
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; June 20th, 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries

The only thing will be UBER X and LYFT
    They have different regulations in all the states and it is not fair they they do not need commercial insurance. L&I and no driver training.
    They do not have to pay tax too. And a legit limo and bus company has to go to hoops

Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post
    The only thing will be UBER X and LYFT
    They have different regulations in all the states and it is not fair they they do not need commercial insurance. L&I and no driver training.
    They do not have to pay tax too. And a legit limo and bus company has to go to hoops
    I understand my input may not be a subject LCT readers think needs discussion and perhaps many LCT readers disagree with my viewpoint. The TNC debate is in several other threads so I don't want to hijack Jim's thread with debating. If my input isn't LCT material, that is OK. I don't think I should debate why I suggested it if I'm not part of the industry... unless there is enough interest here in that subject. I know at least a few here have similar issues with their local PUC, such as the one in Florida that resurfaces occasionally.