Thread: Good info for operators running Cadillac DTSs

Default Good info for operators running Cadillac DTSs

I just thought that I would put it out there for any operator running a Cadillac DTS.

There is a bend point in the trunk for the wiring harness that controls the actuator for the trunk release that can lead to broken wires and an inoperable trunk. As you know, there is no way to manually open the trunk other than to use a coat hanger to reach through the access hole behind the rear armrest into the trunk and pull the emergency handle.

I picked up a client recently and the trunk was inoperable. Slightly embarrassing, but I was able to place their luggage in the front passenger seat.

Turned out that the wiring broke as stated above. Prior to the trunk release actuator wiring failing, I noticed that the trunk light failed (that wire broke first) which could be an indicator that should not be ignored. I can not imagine being in a position where the trunk contained luggage that could not be accessed once you got to the airport. I checked my other DTS and found that it had the beginning stages of the same problem. I reinforced the wiring prior to it failing. I've included pictures. I've also ran a piece of cord around the emergency trunk release and ran it behind the trunk liner so that if this should happen again, the chauffeur would be able to simply pull the cord just inside the trunk access door behind the armrest to release the trunk. With luggage in the trunk, it might be very possible to not be able to access that emergency pull handle and manipulate it via any means available while on a job. The pull handle is also not accessible from the back seat without a wire hanger that can be used to reach it (even with an empty trunk, it was not easy to get a hold of the handle and pull it with enough force to open the trunk).

photo(1).JPG photo(2).JPG
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

I had that same thing happen with the wiring on my 2005 300C after 5 years and 70K miles. It wasn't a limo, so the trunk wasn't opened and closed as much as a commercial vehicle, so I am sure some of the limo guys that run the 300 will have the same problem. It was common based on the forum posts.

On my 300, I had the fold down seats, so I was able to crawl through to open the trunk. You can always proactively splice in a new set of more robust wires in that bend point before it's a problem since it's known.

On these newer cars, is the option to open the trunk with a key completely gone?

Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    On these newer cars, is the option to open the trunk with a key completely gone?
    Yep.....

Heck, it's that way with my 15 yr old Lotus Esprit. So not that shocking.

Good to know - we have an 2008 DTS. I bought it for Jerry Seinfeld.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com