Thread: GMC Yukon Denali - throaty exhaust???

Default GMC Yukon Denali - throaty exhaust???

So I just test drove a 2007 Yukon Denali - 75K miles. Nice vehicle - loud, throaty exhaust! Is this normal? With clients, do you want ultra quiet or would this matter? Seemed like every time I stepped on the gas, it roared. (Personally, I love it - but not for passengers....)
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

Yes, it's a characteristic of the Yukon and Escalade with the 6.2 engine. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve_b View Post
    Yes, it's a characteristic of the Yukon and Escalade with the 6.2 engine. Steve
    Agree. You don't really notice it when you're inside with the windows up. That and the fact that when you have clients, you're pretty easy on the gas pedal.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Blog Entries

The yukon Denali has a 6.2L engine which is louder than the newer suburbans have a 5.3L engine and consumes the same amount of gas like a towncar.

OK, thanks for the feedback. So would you still buy it if it is this loud? I think the price, etc. is good, but my husband is very leery due to the sound when the gas pedal is depressed. Wondering if anyone has changed the exhaust to make one quieter....
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whglimo View Post
    OK, thanks for the feedback. So would you still buy it if it is this loud? I think the price, etc. is good, but my husband is very leery due to the sound when the gas pedal is depressed. Wondering if anyone has changed the exhaust to make one quieter....
    I have one... definitely a sharp SUV black on black... I have noticed lately that the engine makes a "piston slap" like noise after driving from a cold start and goes away after few minutes.

This appears to be a common problem with "most all" of them as per the GMC dealership. Anybody notice the same thing?

A common issue, it's caused by carbon buildup on the piston ring lands. De-carbon the engine with top engine cleaner and the noise (piston slap) will go away for a while. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve_b View Post
    A common issue, it's caused by carbon buildup on the piston ring lands. De-carbon the engine with top engine cleaner and the noise (piston slap) will go away for a while. Steve
    Thanks Steve!

Verdict is in - it had an aftermarket exhaust put on it before the current folks bought it. I will have to pass since I would have more expense reversing all of that. STILL LOOKING for a black SUV - prefer an extended version. Anyone has one for sale, let me know.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com