Thread: A way to get drink stains out of Plexiglas

Default A way to get drink stains out of Plexiglas

So one thing that was bugging me was the soda stains that were in the Plexiglas cup holders since I got the limo.

I was able to remove the cup holder and clean most of the stains off, but some of the soda was embedded in the joints where the parts are glued together.

No amount of soaking in bleach or washing of the joints was getting those out, and there's no easy way to break apart the pieces to clean them. I have no idea how the soda got so deep into the joints, but it wasn't coming out.

I just figured out something that works: Using a standard house pressure washer to flush out the stains. It worked like a charm. The water doesn't do any damage to the Plexiglas, but the severe force was able to flush out the stains and make it look like new.

I definitely like free fixes. I didn't want to have to buy a new one.

Here's a before and after pic.

IMG_0035 (Large).JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; April 3rd, 2014 at 12:51 PM.

Blog Entries

I am thinking you can put a tiny strip of silicon around the back to make sure the soda never sips down again.

Great advice though.

What a difference! You and my husband - www.fixya.com !
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post
    I am thinking you can put a tiny strip of silicon around the back to make sure the soda never sips down again.

Great advice though.
    Thanks.

The soda also went down the center hole and dripped into the cracks on the front sides, so sealing it the back won't stop that. Also since it's lighted with an LED, the silicon would detract from the look. Plus the silicon would make it tough to remove for cleaning.

It's these little touches that make a big difference in the rider's impression of the vehicle.

I guess the real solution is to explain to riders that you can't expect to fill up a regular drinking glass to the rim and magically the drink will not spill out while in the cup holders with the vehicle in motion.

I do think the glassware setup on these limos makes them feel like they are in a living room, and not a moving motor vehicle, so the normal laws of physics don't apply. It's easy for me to control friends and family, but since I do the wish events, I'll have to add that to the list of instructions and information that I provide for the parents at the beginning of the trip.

I took my limo for a state inspection to the same place that did it last year. That was when the limo was just off the trailer from Arizona, and I hadn't done anything to fix it up. I was just focusing on getting it registered for road use.

I forgot that that inspection guy was one of the first people to see the limo outside of the family (it was in too embarrassing of shape to show anyone). When he was done, he burst into the waiting room and asked, "what did you do to the limo!? It looks brand new, and last year it was really rough!"
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; April 4th, 2014 at 08:26 PM.

A way to clean them while still attached to the car is to douse them with windex or similar cleaner, let it soak in, and hit it with compressed air to shoot all the liquid from the crevices. But the pressure washer out of the car very good idea.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Nice work! It's amazing what can be done with some TLC and a little elbow grease.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Senior Member Excalibur Limousine's Avatar

I like using a steam machine. Steam softens the sugar base and pretty well dribbles away to wipe with a clean rag.
    Excalibur Limousine Service
    'Delivering on Service'

Lincoln TC Exec L
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5 & ECB
    Ford Excursion 140" Stretch - Krystal & ECB
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28
    Ford F550 Limo Coach - Krystal KK33

Thank you I will try this tomorrow, I also have soaked the holders in soap, bleach ect with no success.

Senior Member Excalibur Limousine's Avatar

Use caution when using chemical cleaners on your plastics, they may cause them to cloud. Using a automotive polish on them helps them stay clear and brilliant.
    Excalibur Limousine Service
    'Delivering on Service'

Lincoln TC Exec L
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5 & ECB
    Ford Excursion 140" Stretch - Krystal & ECB
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28
    Ford F550 Limo Coach - Krystal KK33