Thread: Starting to look into the Larger vehicles

Default Starting to look into the Larger vehicles

Hi

So this will be the first post on the forum.

Tons of great info.

In recent years the area we have been servicing has brought about the demand for larger vehicles.
    Such as 20-24 passenger party buses.

What is some important information when shopping for such a vehicle for example an E450 or F550 ?

Can an E450 handle 24 passengers, some say the capacity is 18/20 and some say 22 max ?

How are the repairs on such vehicles, in the past couple years we have been extremely lucky with low cost maintenance.
    No major repairs.

thanks for all the input in advance

I'm interested in the same topic as well. My biggest concern is the can it opens up with USDOT. Now you're running a CDL required vehicle with driver logs and monitoring on duty hours etc.
    Ryan Lord
    Signature Limousine Company
    New Bedford, MA
    SignatureLimo@comcast.net
    www.signaturelimocompany.com

Ryan - you hit the nail on the head. Personally, I've had enough Govt. regulations already.
    Renee E. Dorsey
    Airport Limousine Service, Inc.
    Transporting passengers since 1964
    Wheeling, West Virginia

304-232-1175
    800-326-2907
    info@wheelinglimo.com

About seating capacity, sales people always exaggerate seating capacity, lots of operators do too.
    Last week I had a sales guy tell me a E450 would seat 23. I told him it looked closer to 16 plus driver.
    I looked at a competitors E450 Krystal with bars and luggage and guessed 14 comfortable, the driver said no, its 18, you can have passengers sit on the bar.
    So the answer to your question is do you want comfortable seating or Guiness cram them in till you set a world record seating. I don't own a bus, but have checked out several and my opinion is E450/14-16, E550 18-20.

I have a 100" stretch Royale. They say it can fit 8 in the passengers in the back. I advertise it as a 6 passenger. No one wants to cram in the middle seat with their knees up to their chin because the drive shaft hump is in the way. Same with a minibus/larger vehicle. I advertise it based on how many people I would want to sit with if I was the one renting the vehicle.

Agreed with Renee - too much government involvement. For me, I've partnered with a local bus company for trips I can't handle. It seems to work well for me. I also drive for the same bus company when they're in a pinch, so I've maintained a really good working relationship.
    Ryan Lord
    Signature Limousine Company
    New Bedford, MA
    SignatureLimo@comcast.net
    www.signaturelimocompany.com

Depends on the size of the vehicle, how you lay out the design, and how many inches per seat. I have many E450s and they range anywhere from 18 to 24 passengers.

Blog Entries

My brand new Federal E450 can seat up to 22 pass. It depends on the design and size of people. That is why on all of our limos and limo buses we have a comfortable number and the max number. You have to measure 16 - 18 inches on the seats to carry one person.

You can probably get a better price on a F550 for $20,000 more versus a E450 and it can carry more passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post
    My brand new Federal E450 can seat up to 22 pass. It depends on the design and size of people. That is why on all of our limos and limo buses we have a comfortable number and the max number. You have to measure 16 - 18 inches on the seats to carry one person.

You can probably get a better price on a F550 for $20,000 more versus a E450 and it can carry more passengers.
    I keep hearing the 16 inch per person number. My wife is 110 lbs. and measures 16 inches shoulder to shoulder. The question is how you gonna find a group where they all weigh 110 lbs. I figure 20 inches per person which is equal to a 200 lb. 6 ft. male. I don't understand how people can use the 16 inch number when the majority of people are way over that number. Also, you need to figure extra inches on corner seats, as passengers have to have room for their legs.
    I have a competitors that constantly exagerate their seating, I don't know why anyone would want to deceive their customers. Not good for business.
    Last edited by excaliberlimo; April 1st, 2014 at 03:09 PM.

Could you guys recommend a place that sells e450 / f550s with a seating capacity of 24 max.

Our budget is about $29, 000.

I wouldn't mind sending a finders fee to one that recommends a bus and we purchase it.

thanks

Found a few F550s for sale. Ranging from years 2001-2004

Will be going out to see them.

What are the main things to look for in the larger vehicles ?