Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Booking Proms

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    I disagree about raising your rates. Not just proms but any date where there aren't enough vehicles to go around you should be charging whatever someone is willing to pay. Simple supply and demand. If you don't charge more proms will end up costing you more money anyway because instead of a night out from 8-2 or 9-3 on a Saturday the proms will want 5-11 or 6-12. When they do that you are only able to do 1 trip that day instead of doing a wedding during the day then a night out.
    Sorry Brandon, I just don't believe in gouging people. Maybe it's a moral thing with me or the fact that on Tuesday 04/01/14, we will turn 24 years old and I pride myself on repeat business. I want my repeat clients to know that a stretch is $92 an hour, any day, any time. There are never any surprises at our company. Consistency in service, rates, vehicles etc. is what I feel defines us and has lead to a core group of loyal clients. The demand never really increases for me on any Saturday night.

We sell out consistently on Saturday nights with or without prom. We have a five hour minimum charter period starting at 6:00pm. If I charter to a prom party that goes the minimum of five hours I am still happy to have their business and if they go six hours, whether they do it from 6:00pm to 12:00am or 5:00pm to 11:00pm, chances are the limo they are in will still be doing a wedding that day, only an earlier one such as noon to 4:00pm. We operate 27 vehicles and if they all did one only run a day, I would am happy but almost always, every vehicle works 3 to 5 jobs on a Saturday. I credit fantastic dispatchers with great scheduling. In many cases, we switch chauffeurs in the field using a shuttle car and the fresh driver meets the day driver in parking lot and switch.

So, based on our business model, there is no increased demand and I don't want any existing client to go away because we jacked the rate on them for one day. Set your rates high enough to make a reasonable profit every time a vehicle rolls and you're golden. I guarantee you Music Express, BostonCoach, Empire/CLS, Diva etc. are NOT raising rates on ANY day. I want to be that big someday so I follow the leaders in how they operate hoping one day we will be there. We recently expanded into the Houston market and since Bakersfield and Houston have different prom dates, it would confuse my dispatchers who are based in Bakersfield but answer Houston calls.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Cool Be Golden!

"So, based on our business model, there is no increased demand and I don't want any existing client to go away because we jacked the rate on them for one day. Set your rates high enough to make a reasonable profit every time a vehicle rolls and you're golden." @LimoScene

We absolutely agree with you! The team at Limousines Of Connecticut Proms
    CT Transportation Services - Limousines of Connecticut - Providing town car and limousine services around the tri-state area for over a decade. With luxury limousine services available for milestone events or basic transportation, special occasion limos are available as well as airport transportation in CT for services to JFK, LGA, EWR, and surrounding airports in the area.

The question is based on companies that can book a couple of proms a night. We have potential to have about 20-30 dates that there are proms on. Some are during the week very few are on Sat. So the questions remains in todays market what do you think is the most effective way to market for a competitive prom market.

Limo Scene just curious we do weddings and wine tours on Sat the night time business has decreased heavily in the 16 years I have been in business. Is there a certain entertainment or venue that you do on Sat night? I know a couple of companies in my area offer deals book 6 get one hour free. We have never offered(deals) We pride our self on product and customer service. FYI I am in NY and have competitors putting 10 passengers (really only aloud 9) for $60 an hour
    Last edited by lilimo; April 7th, 2014 at 02:27 PM.

Blog Entries

I have to agree with Jim, It's best to stay consitant with your pricing, your repeat clients will come through when you least expect it and need them the most. Same thing on New Years Eve we book fast because we don't gouge.
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

Quote Originally Posted by lilimo View Post
    The question is based on companies that can book a couple of proms a night. We have potential to have about 20-30 dates that there are proms on. Some are during the week very few are on Sat. So the questions remains in todays market what do you think is the most effective way to market for a competitive prom market.

Limo Scene just curious we do weddings and wine tours on Sat the night time business has decreased heavily in the 16 years I have been in business. Is there a certain entertainment or venue that you do on Sat night? I know a couple of companies in my area offer deals book 6 get one hour free. We have never offered(deals) We pride our self on product and customer service. FYI I am in NY and have competitors putting 10 passengers (really only aloud 9) for $60 an hour
    There's always going to be that limo company jamming 10 people in a 120" stretch which is really an 8 passenger limo and booking it at $60/hour. Without even looking at it I can tell you that limo is junk, probably unsafe, and the driver has spent some time behind bars. Don't worry about them, you aren't willing to work for that and you don't want to deal with the people that don't value your service. Again this issue comes down to having a cohesive marketing plan as well as forming relationships with other people in complimentary industries that cater to the same type of clients that you have geared your service to.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Spot on Vintage! No one wants those clients looking for "the best deal". $60 per hour on a Saturday night (or any night for that matter) is what I call whore pricing. Those clients are rarely repeat clients. They take the deal for their one time event and they are gone.

As far a Saturday night work, I can't really say that people go one place or another and I don't have any deals with any strip clubs or anything like that. It's just people going out on the town for the night. I am fortunate that many people that live in Bakersfield charter vehicles to go to Los Angeles for dinner/plays/concerts and that is two hours away. Typically those runs are 7 to 9 hours in length.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Prom season in our area is a distant memory. Like an old lost friend that you wonder if they will ever return. We noticed about 3 years ago prom bookings were getting thin. Now I just laugh, we are almost 2 weeks into prom season and only have 2 bookings. We don't rely on prom bookings as we do just fine with weddings nights out ect.

Blog Entries

The Prom Business around here has definetly moved to the "Party Bus" Domination, less limousine business, but still have some action. Some of my Corporate Clients kids and regulars kids, it's hard to say no to the Dollar.
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

And I'm over here booking proms in a standard Ford Expedition EL SUV because the stretch limos and limo buses are sold out. I have also been very successful at using shuttle buses for prom for larger groups. I guess each market is different, but this year has been an excellent prom season.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service