Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bill To Place Florida Limos Under State Regulation Has Been Filed

Default Senator Jeff Brandes Sells Out to UBER, Denies Citizens Unrestricted Transportation

So we started out with a Bill that if enacted into law would of placed ALL limo types operations under state regulation that would of guaranteed operators ability to transport their people to wherever they need to go without worry about a windshield full of local permits.

Cabbies and certain entrenched operators like His & Hers of Tampa Bay and NLA Director Dave Shaw opposed this move.

Well, the Bill has been watered down and is cruising along to becoming law.

The law will prohibit Tampa from enacting minimum fee regulations on Uber type operations as well as restricting the number of permits Uber and the like can receive.

Note that such is only applicable to "digital request limos" so Tampa can still restrict and require minimum charges on traditional limo services.

So you FL Ops with multiple permits, keep paying as you get undercut by nonlicensed one's cutting your throats with Tampa getting a double whammy as Uber moves in.

Oh, don't forget to keep supporting the NLA with your donations also.
    Last edited by gunny; April 9th, 2014 at 04:26 AM.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

I'm surprised all the operators aren't on board with you Gunny. You guys have lots of large areas very close together. I have three companies I sell advertising to in Florida and they all do service in different areas in Florida than the city they are located in. That would become a headache to have to run around to every city in Florida and jump through a bunch of hoops. Here in Michigan for our buses they send a state inspector out for a yearly safety inspection and once we pass and have our insurance and paperwork in order we are legal.

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

I have not had time to sit down and read this new bill cover to cover. So don't castrate me if I have my facts wrong. But doesn't it impose an age restriction of 5 years on a fleet and have a $5,000 application fee for all new permits?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast View Post
    I have not had time to sit down and read this new bill cover to cover. So don't castrate me if I have my facts wrong. But doesn't it impose an age restriction of 5 years on a fleet and have a $5,000 application fee for all new permits?
    The original bill is dead in the water. It did require vehicles to be younger than 5 when 1st placed into service and no older than 10 years. Only fees were the ones associated with yearly background checks.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    I'm surprised all the operators aren't on board with you Gunny. You guys have lots of large areas very close together. I have three companies I sell advertising to in Florida and they all do service in different areas in Florida than the city they are located in. That would become a headache to have to run around to every city in Florida and jump through a bunch of hoops. Here in Michigan for our buses they send a state inspector out for a yearly safety inspection and once we pass and have our insurance and paperwork in order we are legal.
    They are more interested in using regulators to protect their turf then ensuring statewide safety.

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Wow glad I voted against it. Max age 10 years we would be out of business along with half of the operators in Florida.

Note that such is only applicable to "digital request limos" so Tampa can still restrict and require minimum charges on traditional limo services.

So why can't any limo service or other transportation providers in FL become "digital request" if they want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast View Post
    Wow glad I voted against it. Max age 10 years we would be out of business along with half of the operators in Florida.
    This was modeled after current Tampa regs. Miami may have similar regs also.
    Last edited by gunny; April 10th, 2014 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post

So why can't any limo service or other transportation providers in FL become "digital request" if they want to?
    They could if they wanted to go the Uber style route. Only real impact is not being subject to a minimum charge requirement.

OK, but does Uber have to get a permit from every jurisdiction they go through the way limo ops do? And if having a mobile app means your not subject to minimum pricing, wouldn't it be worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    OK, but does Uber have to get a permit from every jurisdiction they go through the way limo ops do? And if having a mobile app means your not subject to minimum pricing, wouldn't it be worth it?
    The law (if passed) doesn't restrict permitting just prohibits capping. All ops regardless of type of service is still subject to economic regulation (permits) by any jurisdiction demanding such.