Thread: Stainless sheet for Mirrored ceiling

Default Stainless sheet for Mirrored ceiling

Anyone know how many holes need to be drilled for a "twinkle light" ceiling? I'd like to use LED strip lighting attached to the ceiling shining down on the back side of the stainless sheet. Is that feasible?

4 ft width by 10 Ft length. Laser cutting (drilled) every 6" staggered or ?????????

Ideas & suggestions welcomed.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

The twinkling lights are fiber optic cable. They are glued and taped into place on the back side of the ceiling.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Default Fiber optic alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    The twinkling lights are fiber optic cable.
    I am well aware of what they are and how they operate. I'm looking for some definitive info on an install, but specifically alternatives to using individual fiber optics.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

I've never heard of anyone using anything else besides fiber optic on that type of ceiling nor do I really see anyone put those ceilings in the vehicles anymore. LED strip lighting is typically used for under seat / under counter where the light isn't direct or to light up a sheet of custom designed acrylic.

Okay, I'm going to try to explain it as best I can via text on an iPad. All of the stars are strands of very thin fiber that poke through little holes drilled in the ceiling. The strands are held in by both tape and lots of glue so that they don't get pushed back out. The fiber runs on the backside of the mirror and all of the fiber strands come together into an illuminator light source. All of the tinkling stars are lit by one single light.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Strands are like what is on this webpage. http://www.wiedamark.com/fiberopticendglow.aspx
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Default Bus ceiling treatments? Bus window coverings?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    I've never heard of anyone using anything else besides fiber optic on that type of ceiling nor do I really see anyone put those ceilings in the vehicles anymore.
    Thanks Brandon.

So what am I looking at here:busInterior.jpg

Looks like corrugated stainless with lighting.

If this is passe, what are people doing for bus ceilings?

Anyone have a good source for bus window shades?
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC

That is a piece of stainless bent every so many inches to make it look wavy. As time said it has the fiber optic strands going to each hole that is drilled. Here's a few of my buses. It's 3/8" acrylic with rgb tape lighting it up. The one with black on it is routered, sanded in the light up spots, and painted black. The other is sand blasted and the other part left clear with a diamond plate sticker behind it.

You can also do a full ceiling which is harder because the acrylic is very heavy and the smaller strips you can do multi colors at once and its more sturdy.

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    That is a piece of stainless bent every so many inches to make it look wavy. As time said it has the fiber optic strands going to each hole that is drilled. Here's a few of my buses. It's 3/8" acrylic with rgb tape lighting it up. The one with black on it is routered, sanded in the light up spots, and painted black. The other is sand blasted and the other part left clear with a diamond plate sticker behind it.
    I appreciate the input.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC

If you want stainless and L.E.D. check out ecblimo.com