Thread: Time to shine up a limos body

Senior Member Excalibur Limousine's Avatar

Default Time to shine up a limos body

Spring being around the corner, I have started looking at my limousines seeing what and how much work was going to have to go into my paint jobs for the spring cleanups. Have decided one is going to get its side panels refinished.
    Has anyone had to remove the chrome strip below the long window on a Krystal, and how did they do it. I don't want to start taking things apart if I don't have to.
    Thanks for your time.
    Excalibur Limousine Service
    'Delivering on Service'

Lincoln TC Exec L
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5 & ECB
    Ford Excursion 140" Stretch - Krystal & ECB
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28
    Ford F550 Limo Coach - Krystal KK33

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur Limousine View Post
    Spring being around the corner, I have started looking at my limousines seeing what and how much work was going to have to go into my paint jobs for the spring cleanups. Have decided one is going to get its side panels refinished.
    Has anyone had to remove the chrome strip below the long window on a Krystal, and how did they do it. I don't want to start taking things apart if I don't have to.
    Thanks for your time.
    On my Tiffany, the rubber channel that holds the chrome strip was just held down with some goo. It pulled off pretty easily. I would recommend getting the cap off first on one end, and then sliding out the chrome strip before removing the long rubber channel. That way you won't accidentally crease the chrome strip.

I wouldn't mind replacing my chrome strips because they have a lot of scratches from the previous owners running the car through the really crappy gas station style car washes. Those things are criminal in how much damage they can do to your car for an extra $9 at fill up.

Senior Member Excalibur Limousine's Avatar

I prefer the hand wash as for that reason and it gets you close to your car so you may spot an issue before it becomes a problem.
    Excalibur Limousine Service
    'Delivering on Service'

Lincoln TC Exec L
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5 & ECB
    Ford Excursion 140" Stretch - Krystal & ECB
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28
    Ford F550 Limo Coach - Krystal KK33

Excaliber, that sounds like something I have to do with the wife ha!

I've got mine out this week actually for a respray of the rear bumper, and some ding/dent removal and respray of the passenger side.

What do you guys do with your wheels? I have the standard Lincoln wheels from 2007. I noticed Krystal put's a chrome set on their stretch limos that looks really sharp. Has anyone had their wheels chromed? The edges and boarder on my rimes are scraped (from previous owner), and are polished. So a Ford/Lincoln dealership can't refurbish them to factory specs.
    Ryan Lord
    Signature Limousine Company
    New Bedford, MA
    SignatureLimo@comcast.net
    www.signaturelimocompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Signaturelimo View Post
    I've got mine out this week actually for a respray of the rear bumper, and some ding/dent removal and respray of the passenger side.

What do you guys do with your wheels? I have the standard Lincoln wheels from 2007. I noticed Krystal put's a chrome set on their stretch limos that looks really sharp. Has anyone had their wheels chromed? The edges and boarder on my rimes are scraped (from previous owner), and are polished. So a Ford/Lincoln dealership can't refurbish them to factory specs.
    You can take the wheels to a wheel refinishing shop. They are everywhere. If you don't know a good one in your area, check with the local car clubs for common brands like Mustang and Camaro. They always have good recommendations.

The refinishing usually costs around $100 to $150 per wheel and they will look like new. And many have a 24hr turnaround or immediate exchange since they know you need your wheels.

I went with chrome Lincoln wheels on my car. But that's only because I drive it and I know not to curb the wheels. Some people use the metal on cement scraping noise to know they are close enough to the curb when they park. Likewise with hitting their bumper on the other car to know they need to move forward or backward when parking. It's a cultural thing that you can't fix.

If you are worried about curbing the wheels, do not get chrome. The reason is that you can't fix them. Once a wheel is chromed, it can't be rechromed. Painted or polished is not a worry.

Oh, but I love chrome.
    IMG_2982 (Large).jpg
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; March 12th, 2014 at 10:13 AM.

Family, agreed. Your limo looks absolutely fantastic in chrome. Very classy looking. I am the sole driver of my limo. I have a minubus and a van I have drivers for. I saw a set of wheels on ebay that were a chrome exchange. Are the wheels on a regular Lincoln Town car the same part as what's on a limo? Or are they different part numbers to support different load ratings? Sorry if this is a silly question.

VR,
    Ryan
    Ryan Lord
    New Bedford, MA

Family, agreed. Your limo looks absolutely fantastic in chrome. Very classy looking. I am the sole driver of my limo. I have a minubus and a van I have drivers for. I saw a set of wheels on ebay that were a chrome exchange. Are the wheels on a regular Lincoln Town car the same part as what's on a limo? Or are they different part numbers to support different load ratings? Sorry if this is a silly question.

VR,
    Ryan
    Thanks!

Part numbers are a weird thing with Ford. Unlike any other manufacturer in that you can't just look at a part and read its part number and then get one just like it.

With that being said, my belief is that there are not two different part numbers for the same wheels you see on limos and regular cars. However, many limos came with wheels you don't see on the regular cars. But I have seen many of the limos with the regular car wheels.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; March 12th, 2014 at 01:20 PM.

Yes Family yours has "the look" I totally want the newer style wheels but need a spacer to even get them on my 2000 and don't think that's the best idea. Probably will just live with it until can upgrade to a newer unit. Wheels make up 80% of a cars appearance if you ask me. I have always put upgraded wheels on personal cars but this thing not many options..

Quote Originally Posted by LoneLimo View Post
    Yes Family yours has "the look"
    Thanks! And here's a better peak at what it looks like on the inside:
    http://on.bubb.li/207279a63fmh4jqtf73guw7/

Yes, that's a Playboy pillow, and a disco ball, and an Apple TV....

Ver nice. Mine is fairly plain and stock on the inside. Typical features from a 2007 Royale 100" stretch. But, it's my first stretch. So far, it's been good. It's silver birch vice the traditional white or black. I figured that would be a way to set myself apart from competitors. I don't do a tremendous amount of work. I'm an engineer full time for the US Navy. This is just something to do on the side that I enjoy!
    Ryan Lord
    New Bedford, MA

Ver nice. Mine is fairly plain and stock on the inside. Typical features from a 2007 Royale 100" stretch. But, it's my first stretch. So far, it's been good. It's silver birch vice the traditional white or black. I figured that would be a way to set myself apart from competitors. I don't do a tremendous amount of work. I'm an engineer full time for the US Navy. This is just something to do on the side that I enjoy!
    That's cool. How can you afford the overhead, such as insurance costs and permits, if you don't do a large volume of business as a side business?
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; March 13th, 2014 at 05:58 AM.

I have a good volume of repeat customers for the limo. Plus, working for the Navy, we travel a lot. So I literally have a sea of customers on base to support if/when needed. That ends up being about 90% of the work for the limo - airport transfers. I do have quite a few weddings and proms booked with it however. But, I'm also running a stable commuter service with a Turtle Top van and a regular E-series van that bring in consistent money. Any charter rentals for either of those two vehicles is pure icing on the cake. Those two commuter runs alone cover all my overhead.
    Ryan Lord
    New Bedford, MA