Thread: Electrical Issue 2001 Lincoln Stretch

Default Electrical Issue 2001 Lincoln Stretch

Thank you for all of the amazing info on this site. I am new to limos. Bought 2001 Lincoln stretch which was done by Viking. I drove it from virginia to kentucky with no problem. It then sat in my driveway for 4 days. Went to start it today and it was dead. Looked under hood and one of the caps from the battery was missing. I jumped it and the limo started but as soon as I removed the jumper cables the car died. I replaced the battery and the lights came on and the auxilliary stuff works but now the engine does not crank at all. Is there a second battery that I need to change? I looked but can not find a second battery. I pushed and held the battery switch inside the car when starting but it made no difference. Is one of the alternators bad? Whom should I take it to (live in a small town) to diagnose the electrical issues - any repair shop?

The owner said it was manufactured by Viking but there is a plate on the side of the car that says American Custom Coach works. Lastly, does anyone have an Viking/Am Coach Works owner's manual?

thanks to anyone in advance who may be able to steer me in the right direction.

get-attachment (2).jpg

Mine is a 2000 Krystal and second battery is right under the main battery, I noticed it when I changed oil and had the car jacked up. Mine was similar however when I pushed the battery button it would start off the second battery which was the one below. I only have 1 alternator but sounds like you need to check the battery connections and the condition of the second battery (most likely bad as well) These companies like to switch parts before they sell them it seems, my fraudster sent me on a 5 hour drive not even telling me the starting batt was shot and tires had cords showing! Hope this helps.

Your limo was manufactured by ACC American Custom Coach not Viking. On the drivers side wheel well in front of the tire there is a black ABS plastic cover, behind this is where you will find a small lawn mower style battery that starts the car in the event of a dead main battery by pushing the battery button. I have the same limo and mine is a single 200 amp ambulance alternator with a battery isolater mounted to the radiator support behind the grill to keep small battery charged. Is yours a single or dual alternator setup? (should be single) If the car dies when you remove the cables it sounds like a bad alternator. In mine the alternator is not OEM its manufactured by Penntex Model# PX-2RL-5T these can be rebuilt by sending it back to them. I would assume that yours is built the same as mine. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much. There are two alternators. I found the second battery right where you said it would be. From reading other posts, my guess is that one of the alternators went bad and caused the main battery to blow. It must also have damaged the starter or solenoid since a new battery allows the lights to come on but there is no action at all when I turn the key. I do not have testing equip so I guess I will have to get someone to test/replace the starter/solenoid. Does that sound right?

Check all of your wiring for corrosion and loose cables, without testing equipment and a general knowledge of how everything works it will be difficult to pin point however it does sound like it could be the starter solenoid if you have power and no crank.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

That little battery by the front tire is really for back (passenger area) electronics and the opera lights on the outside. It can also be used in place of the main battery. You need to test the battery and alternator before anything else. If you do not have testing equipment, I would take it to a reputable shop that does. Beware: some shops will gouge you since you have a limo (some dealerships around here seem to be the worse), here is your chance to find a good repair shop - you will need one.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

1. Finish filling out your profile info including location, so you can get a private message and we can respond intelligently. (search newbie protocol)

You need to pull the 2 alternators and the batteries, carry them to an auto electric shop or Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly, NAPA, etc. and determine if they are good.

Long term you need to find an independent auto electric shop cause they can rebuild what you have. Pick up a used alternator at a salvage yard, have it checked & rebuilt if necessary, keep it for a spare. They do go out and it's always with people in the car. Buy a battery terminal brush and an 8mm wrench & use them.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

Quote Originally Posted by atridox View Post
    Thanks so much. There are two alternators. I found the second battery right where you said it would be. From reading other posts, my guess is that one of the alternators went bad and caused the main battery to blow. It must also have damaged the starter or solenoid since a new battery allows the lights to come on but there is no action at all when I turn the key. I do not have testing equip so I guess I will have to get someone to test/replace the starter/solenoid. Does that sound right?
    Check fuses. If the alternator started outputting over 14V DC (overcharging the battery, "boiling" the acid, hence the cap popping off), all manner of problems may be yours. Hopefully the fuses protected most of your system.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466